+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 97 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I am liking Fixer Upper with the Texas couple who find the worst house for the couples and fix them up.
    mushybrain likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

^^ that isn't a bad show.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

It's not that the property/fixer shows are bad, they're not. They are very well produced, if predictable, but they flood the Network and for those of us who enjoy the design shows both inside and outside, it leaves a hole.
    Miss_Griss and Kip like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I am liking Fixer Upper with the Texas couple who find the worst house for the couples and fix them up.
    Yes, I like that show as well but don't know what its regular time slot is.

Kip, in addition to the show you mentioned where Genevieve Gorder redesigns/decorates one room, there is also another show with Sabrina Soto along those lines. She finds a high end design that a couple loves, brings in all of the furniture for that room, which is on loan, and lets the couple live with the new furniture for a week. Then she recreates that room for the budget the couple has to work with. She has a male assistant who is handy and can do carpentry and rewire lamps and such. Sometimes if she can't find what she needs, she orders from Target. Mostly I have liked her designs. I can't however, warm up to Genevieve's design sensibility. I really, really dislike most everything she does.

I haven't seen either of those shows in at least six months. Sorry, I'll shut up now...although I did post a complaint, which followed others, on the website at the Smart Home forum.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I used to love Color Splash with David Bromstad, but I never see it on anymore. I miss the old days of Trading Spaces and all the room makeover shows, too.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

Kip, in addition to the show you mentioned where Genevieve Gorder redesigns/decorates one room, there is also another show with Sabrina Soto along those lines. She finds a high end design that a couple loves, brings in all of the furniture for that room, which is on loan, and lets the couple live with the new furniture for a week. Then she recreates that room for the budget the couple has to work with. She has a male assistant who is handy and can do carpentry and rewire lamps and such. Sometimes if she can't find what she needs, she orders from Target. Mostly I have liked her designs. I can't however, warm up to Genevieve's design sensibility. I really, really dislike most everything she does.
    I went to the Magnolia Farms website and they have only 4 episodes up so far and HGTV is airing they all over the place and marathoned the 4 eps one night. I think they are just trying to get folks set up to watch it when they have a regular time. I am not a big fan of peeling paint and crappy looking antiques but Joanna Gaines does bring another type of design aesthetic to HGTV. I kinda like the whitewash, ship-lap look with some interesting found objects. It is also nice to see the house designs in that part of Texas instead of the cookie cutter developments. The prices just amaze me especially since I live here in Northern Virginia which is not an inexpensive place to live.

HGTV does need to develop some other shows besides endless reruns of Love It or List It. It they had a show where I could shoot, slap, throw pies at some of these idiot home searchers who have these grand expectations on very low budgets I would up in a second.
    Eastcoastmom and sparklete like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

That's the show I was thinking of. I don't like most of her designs either, but it's the most recent decorating show I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    .... It they had a show where I could shoot, slap, throw pies at some of these idiot home searchers who have these grand expectations on very low budgets I would up in a second.
    Yes! Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I used to love Color Splash with David Bromstad, but I never see it on anymore. I miss the old days of Trading Spaces and all the room makeover shows, too.
    I loved Color Splash too - at least until the show moved to Miami. I watched sometimes after that, but it just wasn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It's not that the property/fixer shows are bad, they're not. They are very well produced, if predictable, but they flood the Network and for those of us who enjoy the design shows both inside and outside, it leaves a hole.
    Predictable, yes. When I do watch Property Brothers, I'll watch the search for a fixer-upper and the computer designs. Then I tune out until the reveal. It was rare that I learned anything during the intervening part - it's mostly dealing with unexpected problems. I am really tired of Love It or List It. My husband watches it sometimes though. The only part I like any more is the reveal of the remodeled part to see the before and after - but that's about 2 minutes. The rest of the show is just a lot of drama about getting the job done. And since the last house we see David (and his counterpart) show the couple, is always THE house, I don't see much point in watching the walk-through of the first two.

It would seem to me that there are a lot more people interested in updating a room or changing the function of a room (decorating/redecorating) than there are people planning a big remodeling project. But the remodeling shows must get watched more or the network wouldn't run them so much.
    captain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Yikes, Trading Spaces -- I was hooked on that show. Now it seems like a lifetime ago...
    waywyrd likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Yikes, Trading Spaces -- I was hooked on that show. Now it seems like a lifetime ago...
    Remember the show where Hildi glued hay to the walls? I would have killed her if that was my house. I don't know which was more atrocious, the hay or the fake flowers she hot-glued to the walls in another house.
    nanarama likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

+ Reply to Thread