+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I've read a lot about HH being very fake. I try not to think about it. What I actually read is that the houses they look at aren't really for sale. I'm not sure why, since there are so many houses they could show them that are for sale. ??
    Yes, Debb. The buyers can't even be on the show unless they are already under contract on a house.

But I still enjoy watching it. It is really produced well. Given all the episodes that have aired, they really do a good job of having the buyers act like it is all new. They usually sound genuine when they talk about all the pros and cons of each property. On some of the newer shows of similar formats (e.g., beachfront bargains), the acting by buyers and/or realtors is really pretty laughable.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

I'm watching Love It or List It, and shaking my head. What's the deal with Hillary making major design decisions without talking to the homeowners. I find it hard to believe that she just goes around knocking down walls without showing a plan to the homeowners, so is the drama about, "We didn't know this was happening" all just staged? Either way, it's annoying.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I'm watching Love It or List It, and shaking my head. What's the deal with Hillary making major design decisions without talking to the homeowners. I find it hard to believe that she just goes around knocking down walls without showing a plan to the homeowners, so is the drama about, "We didn't know this was happening" all just staged? Either way, it's annoying.
    I find almost the whole show annoying - to listen to anyway. I love the makeover part, and the viewing of other homes, but all the arguing is soooo fake and the same every episode. I can't stand it. I wonder if Jillian's version in Canada is also as staged and cheesy?

The show I'm liking lately is Four Weddings. The logistics of it all though, just boggles my mind! How and when do they go to all these different weddings? How does the show find brides getting married around the same time in the same area willing to do this? Has anyone ever heard anything about the way this show works?
    I love seeing all the different versions of weddings, though, with different spins on them like cultural influences and such. Very cool.

The one today cracked me up with the girl who had her fellow Saints cheerleaders doing a pom dance routine, and another getting married in a doll museum (actually, the house was beautiful and the upstairs had all the dollhouses which was creepy). And all the husbands! I thought, really??? LOL.

Oops, I tried to edit but am too late. Just realized it's not on HGTV - oops! Sorry.

That's all right. Creepy doll houses fit right in with Love It or List It.
    Allie and navybelle like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I agree. All of the arguing is so fake. I saw Jillian's version of the show, and it didn't seem as corny that way. Funny thing, though, I totally didn't recognize Jillian. It wasn't until I recently read an article about that show that I realized who she was. I did enjoy her version of the show, though.
    navybelle likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think that HGTV is missing a great opportunity. They need to make a show that the viewers would love to see. They need to instruct the realtor to respond to these ridiculous comments. It's rarely done now. So when the buyer says "The bedrooms are just too small or I can't live without granite counter tops." The realtor will say, this bedroom is the average size for houses in your price range. And when people sell homes in this price range, they don't install granite. If you want granite, put it yourself, but it's not common in homes in this neighborhood. If the house met all your must haves, it would cost $550,000.00 and not $90,000.00.
    Sigh. I agree, totally. That is why I have enjoyed the Property Brothers...at least the portion where they show the people the house that meets all their "wants," and then tell them it's 500x more expensive than their budget!
    Lizard likes this.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm totally addicted to HGTV....while recouperating last year (total of 8 weeks) I watched HGTV almost the entire time while on the couch! My hubby, for some reason, wanted to watch the news.

HGTV was my go to network the last few years. Not this year I'm sad to say.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm enjoying the new show "Beat the House". It features a couple who have found what they consider their dream house. Enter 2 different realtors, who tour the dream house together, look at the budget and find them 2 other houses which they think are better suited for them. So, it's sort of one realtor pitted against the other. At the end of the show, the couple decides if they will stick with their initial choice, or choose one of the 2 homes each realtor has shown them.

One realtor is male and the other realtor is a loudish, Southern female. Last night's episode had me scratching my head b/c the couple's budget was $400, 000 and she showed them a done top to bottom home listing for $500,000. Yep, that is most certainly in their price range...just a tad more expensive. smh
    Their initial home choice was listed for $429,000 but the other realtor showed them a home for $380,000, which was a good 50K less than the home they wanted to purchase. It needed a kitchen, and some other upgrades, but it was on a full acre of property and they decided to go with that one.

+ Reply to Thread