+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I watched the special and am faithfully entering twice per day, once on HGTV.com and once on FrontDoor.com. I am in love with this year's home! Love the orange sectional in the media room and the yellow/gray of the main area. All the glass and slate floors! The artwork! Hey, it's cheaper than buying a lottery ticket. :-) You are all welcome over for a party if I win.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

I'm doing an "I've got a cold and don't feel like doing anything" HGTV binge watch, and I just want to smack the young woman on the current Househunters International. She's about 21. She and her husband are looking at furnished apartments in Spain for $500 per month and under. The woman is showing her some fairly nice looking places with decent square footage, and the "girl" keeps making these dumb complaints.

For example, there's a lovely bedroom with neutral walls and a bright orange bedspread, and she can't deal with "the color of the room." She doesn't think she could live with it. Can she really not envision what the room would look like if she bought a different bedspread? In another apartment, she can't deal with the fact that the floor tile pattern doesn't go with the upholstery on the couch. Has she never heard of fitting a sheet or bedspread over a couch to give it the look you want? She's fresh out of college. Do kids not know how to do these things anymore?

OK. over. I feel much better now.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I'm doing an "I've got a cold and don't feel like doing anything" HGTV binge watch, and I just want to smack the young woman on the current Househunters International. She's about 21. She and her husband are looking at furnished apartments in Spain for $500 per month and under. The woman is showing her some fairly nice looking places with decent square footage, and the "girl" keeps making these dumb complaints.

For example, there's a lovely bedroom with neutral walls and a bright orange bedspread, and she can't deal with "the color of the room." She doesn't think she could live with it. Can she really not envision what the room would look like if she bought a different bedspread? In another apartment, she can't deal with the fact that the floor tile pattern doesn't go with the upholstery on the couch. Has she never heard of fitting a sheet or bedspread over a couch to give it the look you want? She's fresh out of college. Do kids not know how to do these things anymore?

OK. over. I feel much better now.
    Yeah, I know what you mean but really, college housing, college town apartments and messy roommates and she is complaining about living in Spain? Maybe they are told to complain by the producers but really I want to slap 90% of the house hunters they are soooooooo annoying.
    usschmidt and Cornholio like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean but really, college housing, college town apartments and messy roommates and she is complaining about living in Spain? Maybe they are told to complain by the producers but really I want to slap 90% of the house hunters they are soooooooo annoying.
    Agreed! They all bug me, but the ones that get to the me most are the young ones who are buying their first home at the low end of the market and think the house should be totally updated with all these luxury finishes. I suppose I should be more sympathetic to the fact that they are making the biggest purchase they've ever made (by a magnitude of a bazillion), and they want to get as much as they can for their money, but I do wish they'd be more realistic.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 01-06-2014 at 01:15 AM.
    usschmidt likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I think that HGTV is missing a great opportunity. They need to make a show that the viewers would love to see. They need to instruct the realtor to respond to these ridiculous comments. It's rarely done now. So when the buyer says "The bedrooms are just too small or I can't live without granite counter tops." The realtor will say, this bedroom is the average size for houses in your price range. And when people sell homes in this price range, they don't install granite. If you want granite, put it yourself, but it's not common in homes in this neighborhood. If the house met all your must haves, it would cost $550,000.00 and not $90,000.00.

And when they moan over dated cabinets, pull out a sheet of paper that has a costs list of paint and primer along with a comparison list of new cabinet costs, so they can compare.

And when they moan about how they want a big yard, pull out invoices for yard care for similar yards so they can see how much big yards costs.

You get my point. I think that Property Brothers and Love or List It, do a little of this in the early part of their shows, but I would like to see more of it in a House Hunters format.

And it wouldn't hurt if the realtor used a little humor and asked the buyer what they have lived in up until that point. Like, hey, you are 23 years old and haven't graduated from college. You work a part-time job and have been living in a basement apartment. Why the champagne taste?
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-06-2014 at 10:42 AM.

I have seen realtors get frustrated at them but of course they can't be argumentative with them. I saw House Hunters one time when the buyer was a young gal and she was so nasty and hateful. I want it my way or no way nasty nice person. I would have walked away and told her to get another realtor. I used to watch this show faithfully but I got tired of the champagne taste on a beer budget mentality. It's called being realistic or made for tv.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I've read a lot about HH being very fake. I try not to think about it. What I actually read is that the houses they look at aren't really for sale. I'm not sure why, since there are so many houses they could show them that are for sale. ??

FORT Fogey

I only watch it to see the houses. Often I will mute the sound and pick up closed caption so I can get information about the houses from the realtor, but not have to hear the entitled and very stupid complaints of the buyers.

So silly when you are buying a home for $150k but want it to be full of upgrades.smh
    Debb70 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yeah, or renting a place for $500.00 American dollars per month. I wouldn't expect ocean view, spacious, 2-3 bedrooms, out door space, dish washer, nice furniture, etc. REALLY? lol Cracks me up.

The first place I moved when I left home was a two bedroom house. I had a roommate. There was NO shower, just a full size tub. I adjusted to getting baths just fine.

+ Reply to Thread