+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3164904;
    I have this on my Tivo and have not been watching it so I went to find this episode. MERCY! What was he thinking!? This is clearly not a style he understands, if I may be kind for a moment. I could easily design an adorable Bohemian room. There are so many ways to make this style fabulous.

You failed to mention the coffee table! It was cool as it was and to paint it THAT way? What was that about? Hideous is too kind an adjective for this room.
    Yeah, I forgot about the coffee table! OOOH, man it was really ugly and looked like something I might have made...in 2nd grade. The whole thing was atrocious.
    Where do they find these designers? There are so many great designers, very talented. I don't understand why people like this get to design on tv. The room seriously looked better before the makeover.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3165001;
    Yeah, I forgot about the coffee table! OOOH, man it was really ugly and looked like something I might have made...in 2nd grade. The whole thing was atrocious.
    Where do they find these designers? There are so many great designers, very talented. I don't understand why people like this get to design on tv. The room seriously looked better before the makeover.
    I am not familiar with Angelo so I don't know about his skill or taste. The only explanation I can think of is that he had no feel for this style and was shooting in the dark. It smacked of dorm room designed by two 18 year old girls. The dark raspberry walls and ceiling were horrific. I could go on but why bother. There was not one thing good about it.

On a different vein I don't care for Verns style. As opposed to Angelo's Ikea curtained den, Vern errs on the side of boring and predictable. His designs are tight just like his personality. Sweet man but no pizazz.

Well, for one...Carter is the "green" man on HGTV so the design had to be green. Some flunky heard they needed a green countertop to be available and found a GREEN countertop. For kitchens my personal taste runs to light and airy over dark, but I did like Lisa's gray flooring. However, two women no taller than 5' should not be measuring for a stove hood placement. Keenan was correct, heads would bump.

My one question on this project and it bothered me the whole time is...why did no one cut out a pass-through where the mirror was? Both designs replaced the mirror with open shelving. What is on the other side of the wall in the homeowner's house? I realize $10,000 probably wouldn't cover refitting that space as open space, but still...an open portal would have opened up that small narrow kitchen that much more. Oh well. *sigh*

Let's see what the colorists can do with a bedroom...yawn.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3165421;
    Well, for one...Carter is the "green" man on HGTV so the design had to be green. Some flunky heard they needed a green countertop to be available and found a GREEN countertop. For kitchens my personal taste runs to light and airy over dark, but I did like Lisa's gray flooring. However, two women no taller than 5' should not be measuring for a stove hood placement. Keenan was correct, heads would bump.

My one question on this project and it bothered me the whole time is...why did no one cut out a pass-through where the mirror was? Both designs replaced the mirror with open shelving. What is on the other side of the wall in the homeowner's house? I realize $10,000 probably wouldn't cover refitting that space as open space, but still...an open portal would have opened up that small narrow kitchen that much more. Oh well. *sigh*

Let's see what the colorists can do with a bedroom...yawn.
    @ flunky misunterstanding green!

I thought the same thing about the pass through and I think it is about it being a stage set and they are not to disturb the integrity of the fragile "wall". Or it would look terrible to see the dark empty space of the stage through the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3165269;
    I am not familiar with Angelo so I don't know about his skill or taste. The only explanation I can think of is that he had no feel for this style and was shooting in the dark. It smacked of dorm room designed by two 18 year old girls. The dark raspberry walls and ceiling were horrific. I could go on but why bother. There was not one thing good about it.

On a different vein I don't care for Verns style. As opposed to Angelo's Ikea curtained den, Vern errs on the side of boring and predictable. His designs are tight just like his personality. Sweet man but no pizazz.
    Saw another snippet of 24 hr design today, stopped channel surfing long enough to see if this episode was as big of a disaster as the bohemian chic episode. It wasn't as bad (bedroom redo) but it wasn't very good either. Some of the stuff that guy pairs together makes no sense and doesn't look good. He seems to be a serial mismatcher. Some people are really good at 'eclectic' design - pairing old w/new, different styles. I think this guy (Angelo?) tries to pull that off but it just looks AWFUL.

Agreed on Vern too. I saw him redo a bedroom, and he hung all of these weird glass latern bulbs every square foot on the ceiling from fishing wire. It looked strange and not at all attractive.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3165500;
    Saw another snippet of 24 hr design today, stopped channel surfing long enough to see if this episode was as big of a disaster as the bohemian chic episode. It wasn't as bad (bedroom redo) but it wasn't very good either. Some of the stuff that guy pairs together makes no sense and doesn't look good. He seems to be a serial mismatcher. Some people are really good at 'eclectic' design - pairing old w/new, different styles. I think this guy (Angelo?) tries to pull that off but it just looks AWFUL.

Agreed on Vern too. I saw him redo a bedroom, and he hung all of these weird glass latern bulbs every square foot on the ceiling from fishing wire. It looked strange and not at all attractive.
    Vern is big on grouping small things together to make a "big statement". It doesn't accomplish that for me. It just looks like he shopped at the Pottery Barn outlet, which he does frequently because it is located just outside of Atlanta.

I just put 24 hour design on my Tivo when I saw Angelo was going to do Summer Showdown. I only have a few. Now I am interested to scan them and get a feel for this guy. The only way he can go is up!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3165490;
    @ flunky misunterstanding green!

I thought the same thing about the pass through and I think it is about it being a stage set and they are not to disturb the integrity of the fragile "wall". Or it would look terrible to see the dark empty space of the stage through the opening.
    But it really was a green "green" product made of recycled paper. Maybe they put the color there as a joke? Because didn't they say something about that being the only choice?

Or am I breathing paint fumes?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3165819;
    But it really was a green "green" product made of recycled paper. Maybe they put the color there as a joke? Because didn't they say something about that being the only choice?

Or am I breathing paint fumes?
    You are right about the counter. I think Angelo may have ordered the green counter in the color green since he was surprised that it clashed with the wall. Or it was the only color. I assumed he chose the wall color based on a photo of the counter that was, as it turned out, a poor rendering. Arielflies was joking about the intern misunderstanding green.

I can't answer about the paint fumes but maybe you should put your head between your knees and get some fresh air.

onei0091 and I are talking about Angelo's show 24 Hour Design, not the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3162598;
    Six hours is definately not enough. Why on earth do a kitchen with so little time?!

Lisa. I didn't like the dark cabinets. Looking at the stage set, it was nice enough, but in reality living with such a dark kitchen would not work. Dark wood is about five minutes from being dated, as well. Catalogs are behind design trends and they have abandoned the dark furniture and light blue walls, finally. That run was just way too long.

Anthony. I liked his kitchen better. Had he realized the color of the counter he would have tweaked the wall color but still it worked. It felt more like a place you would like to eat breakfast and spend some time creating good food. It was bright and welcoming.

It seems clear that they have viewed the rooms and ordered some materials to have on hand. Why fein surprise when the rooms are revealed? Cynthia Rowley clearly requested the mirrored tiles and Anthony ordered the bamboo floor and green counter top (color was off in the catalog!). Lisa's granite was cut to fit. The pretense that they are grabbing these things from the shelf on the fly is pretty silly.

Still, this is enjoyable to watch for a change.
    I don't know whether they see the rooms beforehand or not, but I don't think they actually get to pre-order materials. After seeing that the only option Angelo had for the paper countertop was that bright greeen, I found myself wondering if HGTV has just rounded up a bunch of stuff that's left over from shows (or maybe taken donations from companies, hence the strange counter color). Angelo seemed genuinely surprised at the color of the counter top and that he didn't have more options.

On a totally different note, a friend of mine has those counter tops. Hers are black (or a very deep charcoal grey). They're gorgeous, and she loves them. They come in all sorts of amazing colors that aren't bright green.

Given the two choices, though, I did like Angelo and Carter's kitchen best.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3165949;
    I don't know whether they see the rooms beforehand or not, but I don't think they actually get to pre-order materials. After seeing that the only option Angelo had for the paper countertop was that bright greeen, I found myself wondering if HGTV has just rounded up a bunch of stuff that's left over from shows (or maybe taken donations from companies, hence the strange counter color). Angelo seemed genuinely surprised at the color of the counter top and that he didn't have more options.

On a totally different note, a friend of mine has those counter tops. Hers are black (or a very deep charcoal grey). They're gorgeous, and she loves them. They come in all sorts of amazing colors that aren't bright green.

Given the two choices, though, I did like Angelo and Carter's kitchen best.
    The backsplash saved that kitchen. And those countertops in another color are something I would consider. Not my style, but it seemed a bit more professional.

I blanched at her picking limestone for a kitchen. My brother had those in his foyer. Even sealed they stained like the dickens. Not my choice for a kitchen.

I was distracted by the paint job on that awful stove hood they did. Although the darker look was more to my normal liking.

I was not surprised by the win.

+ Reply to Thread