+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 89 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

I don't watch this show anymore. The predictable formula is tiring and the sparing between Hilary and David is just lousy acting.

On Love it or List it 2, Jillian really did use the entire budget, one time, and was able to give the home owners a deck that was not even in the original plan. There was a huge problem but after inspection it was deemed ok by the inspector. It was so refreshing to see!
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    For once I would like to see an owner of one of these 100 yr old homes realize that once you start renovating you find stuff instead of expecting a miracle on very little money.
    I agree, Bearcata (except for the very little money part since the budgets are often quite high). And that is one of my biggest complaints about the show. In real life, before attempting any kind of major, whole-house renovations, wouldn't it be wise to have your home thoroughly inspected to identify any major/serious issues so those items can be taken care of first? On a show like LIOLI, when they KNOW there will be problems with these old houses, they have the resources and professionals to identify some of those serious problems before any renovations begin. They just use the "unexpected surprises" angle to manufacture drama.

I guess the producers think everyone loves seeing Hilary freaking out when told of a problem, and then getting all defensive as she breaks the bad news to the owners, and then the owners getting mad and storming off. I know some homeowners really may be that na´ve, but it just irritates me that Hilary and crew (the supposed professionals) are made to look incompetent (especially when there are problems with permitting issues that should have been identified early on). It all seems so phony.

I would much rather see them do away with the "surprise problem" angle and replace it with an inspection and realistic assessment early on of what can be achieved before all kind of pie-in-the-sky promises are made. They can still retain the banter between Hilary and David, which is probably the main draw of the show.

But, hey, what do I know? I am not a producer, and this formula is obviously working for them, so it will not change unless ratings slip.
    march and Debb70 like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I really like Income Property and Scott McG. Scott always seems to find a way to stay on budget even when he encounters unexpected problems. (Or at least the show makes it appear that way.) I have grown very tired of the Love It or List It formula of "Oh no, Eddie/Fergus, are you saying we need to fix/repair/replace/move/remove/remediate this??? We don't have the budget for that! This means I have to take something off my list!" Ugh. Just ONCE I would like to see Hilary be able to do everything she says she is going to do.
    I would like it better if they had the house inspected, found problems before hand, and came up with a realistic budget to present to the home owners what it will take to get what they want. Not say "$40,000 for adding a bedroom and bathroom, finishing the basement, reconfigering the floor plan, remodeling the kitchen for your 100 year old house, no problem!" Why not present an estimate and then if, there is a problem they didn't find before hand, perhaps have Hilary find a way to save money elsewhere--for example using a good quality laminate instead of the original expensive hardwood floor that had been the plan. Or instead of a whole new set of kitchen cabinets--repaint and make the existing ones look nice. Things like that. Also, if the people can't pony up the money for the estimate, tell them to choose something to take off the list. I also would like more likable homeowners who don't act resentful that the budget if being used to fix the roof so it won't cave in on them while they sleep or major things that would prevent them from selling the house.
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I agree, Bearcata (except for the very little money part since the budgets are often quite high). And that is one of my biggest complaints about the show. In real life, before attempting any kind of major, whole-house renovations, wouldn't it be wise to have your home thoroughly inspected to identify any major/serious issues so those items can be taken care of first? On a show like LIOLI, when they KNOW there will be problems with these old houses, they have the resources and professionals to identify some of those serious problems before any renovations begin. They just use the "unexpected surprises" angle to manufacture drama.

I guess the producers think everyone loves seeing Hilary freaking out when told of a problem, and then getting all defensive as she breaks the bad news to the owners, and then the owners getting mad and storming off. I know some homeowners really may be that na´ve, but it just irritates me that Hilary and crew (the supposed professionals) are made to look incompetent (especially when there are problems with permitting issues that should have been identified early on). It all seems so phony.

I would much rather see them do away with the "surprise problem" angle and replace it with an inspection and realistic assessment early on of what can be achieved before all kind of pie-in-the-sky promises are made. They can still retain the banter between Hilary and David, which is probably the main draw of the show.

But, hey, what do I know? I am not a producer, and this formula is obviously working for them, so it will not change unless ratings slip.
    I read this after I posted something similar. I agree. I think the show would be much better if they made it more realistic. I don't think in real life any time contractors get a budget and then go right to work without having at least some idea of problems. I am sure there is always the potential for surprises, but some things should be obvious immediately. I remember one episode when these sisters lived together and everytime one used a hairdryer or something else a circuit would trip. It doesn't take an electrician to figure out immediately that something isn't wrong with that picture and it is probably going to be something that costs a lot of money. I don't think it would take away from the show. I wonder about some sort of fakery with David's side as well. I doubt he conveniently at the last moment finds the perfect house for them every single time. I like Hillary and David and seeing them interact like a married couple. I don't need to see fake drama.
    mushybrain likes this.

FORT Fogey

On Love it or List It I think the homeowners, who choose to list, have that plan all along. They know they have huge problems that would prevent them from selling so they apply to this show in hopes they get on and get their house up to code. And conversely those who opt to love it, know damn well that they cannot afford to buy but want their house problems fixed and if they get some cool decor along with that, all the better.

It could be a good show if they did not play their audience for fools.
    Lizard and MsDiva2007 like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That's exactly right. The whole show (LIOLI) is scripted and the homeowners know in advance if they plan to sell or stay. All of the problems encountered and the homeowners' reactions to said problems are 'played up' for maximum reaction from the viewing audience. I guess they think it makes good television. I love Hilary's designs, but for once, wish she would not use such high end materials. There is a difference between using quality materials and such high end stuff that costs so much money. She could save in areas like faucets, window treatments, etc. Then maybe she would be able to stretch her budget to give the homeowners more of what was on their wish list.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    That's exactly right. The whole show (LIOLI) is scripted and the homeowners know in advance if they plan to sell or stay. All of the problems encountered and the homeowners' reactions to said problems are 'played up' for maximum reaction from the viewing audience. I guess they think it makes good television. I love Hilary's designs, but for once, wish she would not use such high end materials. There is a difference between using quality materials and such high end stuff that costs so much money. She could save in areas like faucets, window treatments, etc. Then maybe she would be able to stretch her budget to give the homeowners more of what was on their wish list.
    I don't think she uses high end anything. I have recognized several Ikea faucets. Granite is the cheapest hard surface counter and hers are usually the inexpensive stock pattern. She uses the word custom all the time and that is bologna. Custom means something different to a decorator who has access to design houses. It means she tells them she wants X sofa and tells them the dimensions. Well, they have all that ready to roll. It is just that we cannot do that in a normal furniture store, they have what they have. When her carpenter builds shelves, that is custom, and it is but that doesn't mean it is the best workmanship that could be done, especially in 2 days. And I wonder if all of that really happens in only 2 days anyway. Hard to believe.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.

LIOLI is totally off my viewing list. I refuse to watch it anymore. It's difficult for me to believe it's still on the air.
    Shoepie and nennie like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    LIOLI is totally off my viewing list. I refuse to watch it anymore. It's difficult for me to believe it's still on the air.
    Totally stupid staged show. I am done, too. Bad. Very stoopid and insulting to viewers.

And what is so annoying is that there are really good shows that I would gladly watch, but they only have a few of them and they have rerunned them to death. If they had any sense, they would detect the great shows and get out there and get them produced and get a good amount in order to appeal to their viewers.

I think Rehab Addict is a great show. Also, I like the one with the real estate couple who have a small child. They have run the same episodes hundreds of times. Why not get some new ones and make a big deal out of them? Instead we get seasons of LIOLI. Please.
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread