+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 93 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I am liking Renovate to Rent but I have a hard time believing that while these guys buy houses at $160,000 put in $40,000 to renovate can turn around and rent them out for $3000?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I really feel the need to vent. HGTV can do that do you. lol

Don't any of the house hunters from House Hunter International ever watch this show? Don't they even go online and research what the housing is like in other countries? Really? They don't seem to have a clue about housing in other parts of the world. They think that $1.500.00 per month should get them a great, spacious place in Paris that's near everything.

They tell the realtor they want a place with Eurpean flare. They want something with "character and charm." They want to live like those do in that area. But, they really don't. They don't realize that these quaint houses have odd layouts, small bathrooms, and few if any closets. So when they see what they ask for, they turn up their nose. lol

Then you have the hunter who turns their nose up because the house in the small French or Italian village doesn't look like their own place in the US. They keep saying it's so different or they are not used to that. Well, OF COURSE it's different. Why would you want to live in a house in Europe that that looks like a sprawling ranch in Texas? It's so annoying.

Yesterday they had a couple from the US looking at places in St. Kitt, a place with beautiful scenery, water, weather, etc. They were appauled that the washer/dryer unit was in the kitchen. Like it was a deal breaker. Really? Who's so picky? IMO, that's not that big of a deal. OH, they were also renting on low budget, wanting a great view and study space for the girl who was a student.

Apparently, the house hunters on these shows have very high standards. Most all the rooms they see are too small for them. They must all have modern appliances, bathroom fixtures and cabinets. I find that difficult to believe.

I suggest that house hunters locate some more realistic subjects. It would make the show more interesting to see real people who have realistic expectations.

FORT Fogey

I have spoken often at how unlikable many couples are on HH/HHI....and pretentious

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I have spoken often at how unlikable many couples are on HH/HHI....and pretentious
    I know. Me too. It just really annoys me after awhile and I have to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I really feel the need to vent. HGTV can do that do you. lol

Don't any of the house hunters from House Hunter International ever watch this show? Don't they even go online and research what the housing is like in other countries? Really? They don't seem to have a clue about housing in other parts of the world. They think that $1.500.00 per month should get them a great, spacious place in Paris that's near everything.

They tell the realtor they want a place with Eurpean flare. They want something with "character and charm." They want to live like those do in that area. But, they really don't. They don't realize that these quaint houses have odd layouts, small bathrooms, and few if any closets. So when they see what they ask for, they turn up their nose. lol

Then you have the hunter who turns their nose up because the house in the small French or Italian village doesn't look like their own place in the US. They keep saying it's so different or they are not used to that. Well, OF COURSE it's different. Why would you want to live in a house in Europe that that looks like a sprawling ranch in Texas? It's so annoying.

Yesterday they had a couple from the US looking at places in St. Kitt, a place with beautiful scenery, water, weather, etc. They were appauled that the washer/dryer unit was in the kitchen. Like it was a deal breaker. Really? Who's so picky? IMO, that's not that big of a deal. OH, they were also renting on low budget, wanting a great view and study space for the girl who was a student.

Apparently, the house hunters on these shows have very high standards. Most all the rooms they see are too small for them. They must all have modern appliances, bathroom fixtures and cabinets. I find that difficult to believe.

I suggest that house hunters locate some more realistic subjects. It would make the show more interesting to see real people who have realistic expectations.
    That is the standard in Europe. That being said I lot of houses I look at have washer and dryer in a closet of the eating area right next to the kitchen so I don't see what the difference is?

Me either. I'm surprised that so many of the house hunters seem to be midddle or working class people with champagne budgets. Even if you have high hopes for some upscale features, why turn your nose up at perfectly good appliances, fireplaces, fixtures, etc.? I find it difficult to believe these folks are used to the large rooms, big baths, and walk in closets. I just don't believe them.

My next door neighbor is a first time home buyer, I have renters on the other side. I just wish folks would mow their lawns correctly, weed their flower beds occasionally and seal their asphalt driveways regularly. Why buy a house if you don't know how to take care of it.
    AmyKay likes this.

Have you guys seen the previews for Brother versus Brother? It's the Scott twins who do that show where one is a realtor and the other is a contractor (Property Brothers). I really like these guys so I'm going to give their new show a try.

It starts July 21.
    KatesMom likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I haven't seen the one with the twins. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Whenever I see hunters who are hung up on a big yard, I wonder if they really know what that means. Either you will be devoting weekly time to yard care or you must hire a person to do the yard work. I don't think they understand how fast grass and weeks can grow. lol

Slightly off-topic, do any of you live in condos with obnoxious HOAs? I posted about my problems in the general discussion thread, but I'd like any advice you can offer.

Talk about your troubles
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread