+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Looking at the web site, I noticed the stove in one of the rooms appeared dented. Was there any mention of this on the show?

Six hours isn't enough time to redo a dog house, let alone a regular room in a house. Splurge a little HGTV, go for 8 hours, at least.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3161725;
    Shoepie - Thanks, do you know what color chart I can look at for that type of green I am referring to? If I have a little clue, I can take it from there.
    Regarding the kitchen tile, the tile is a pattern which is hard to describe but the two colors that stand out are rust and olive. First, I had chosen the rust but watching HGTV, I notice many kitchens are green. I'm not worried about "matchy matchy" because of the design in the tile. I like your idea of the light olive but will also look in the magazines you suggested. Thanks, I wish I had an "eye" for that stuff. I guess we all have our own different talents.
    I only use Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint. Home Depot and Lowes have a lower quality paint that I just don't care for. But go both places, though, and take all the green color samples, that you like, with you because any place can match most colors with their computer. When you have collected paint chips from everyone, sit down and decide.

I do have an eye for decorating and color. I create art and it carries over. Just be careful not to make the cabinets too dark or the kitchen will look heavy and over power the dining space next to it. Also think about painting the upper and lower cabinets different colors. Perhaps olive on the bottom and a sand on the uppers.

FORT Fogey

Six hours is definately not enough. Why on earth do a kitchen with so little time?!

Lisa. I didn't like the dark cabinets. Looking at the stage set, it was nice enough, but in reality living with such a dark kitchen would not work. Dark wood is about five minutes from being dated, as well. Catalogs are behind design trends and they have abandoned the dark furniture and light blue walls, finally. That run was just way too long.

Anthony. I liked his kitchen better. Had he realized the color of the counter he would have tweaked the wall color but still it worked. It felt more like a place you would like to eat breakfast and spend some time creating good food. It was bright and welcoming.

It seems clear that they have viewed the rooms and ordered some materials to have on hand. Why fein surprise when the rooms are revealed? Cynthia Rowley clearly requested the mirrored tiles and Anthony ordered the bamboo floor and green counter top (color was off in the catalog!). Lisa's granite was cut to fit. The pretense that they are grabbing these things from the shelf on the fly is pretty silly.

Still, this is enjoyable to watch for a change.

FORT Fogey

I mean Angelo.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I actually thought Lisa's kitchen should have won. I would NOT have wanted Angelo's citrus kitchen at all. I full repaint and new counters would have been in order. At least the families can just use this plan as a jumping off point, and can spend the $10,000 on whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3161087;
    onei0091
    Thanks for the tip. Do you know the name of the color that is a little trendy right now, it is sort of dark green almost greyish green? Jeff Lewis has it in many of his properties.

One other question for all you designers out there. I am painting my kitchen and we have oak cabinets. We have a decorative tile that has a rust color and also a olive green that surrounds the perimeter of the eating area. The kitchen will look good either color but any thoughts? I know it's hard to answer without seeing but any clues? As I mentioned before, I do not have any design talent at all. The color is a neutral beige right now and I want to add more color.
    I know what color you are talking about but I don't have a 'go to' color that shade. I'd go to the store, get a bunch of samples that look similar to the color you have in mind, then take them home and see which you like best in the room you want that color. sometimes they look a lot different at the store than they do in your house.

My advice on your kitchen (which is hard to do without pics) is to keep the large, expensive items a neutral color and design, and then if you want more color add that in on things that can be changed out with out too much expense. I'd keep the cabinets a neutral - that way you aren't having to replace or re-do expensive cabinetry every few years because of changing trends - and then maybe let the backspash tile or wall color be the colorful part of the kitchen. It is easier and cheaper to change out wall tile and wall color than it is to change out cabinetry, countertops, etc. (especially if you are using granite counters).

FORT Fogey

It's too bad Summer Showdown is not very popular, or at least on this board. I am looking forward to the bedroom. Six hours is a reasonable amount of time to pull together any room other than a kitchen, even with built-ins. They clearly arrive with their design plan, items ordered and ready to roll.

Perhaps they didn't advertise it well enough or it is just getting lost because it is not the title of this thread. That is okay, I have no problem discussing it with myself. My husband will attest to this skill of mine.

If this were to have a second run I have some suggestions. Admit to the audience that the designers have viewed the rooms, made their design plan and skip the pretend stealing of lumber and accessories. Asign them a painter to ease the time crunch. For some reason producers think that a race to the finish is what viewers love. Well, it isn't.

The family who has the room is so peripheral that rather than trying to meet their needs have the premis be to show them something way outside of their scope to inspire them and others.

Oh, and if they do a playroom or rec room I will not like that episode. Just saying. Those bore me more than painting kitchen cabinets and installing stainless steel appliances.
    Last edited by shoepie; 08-12-2008 at 08:03 AM.

DId anyone see the show "24 hour design"? yikes, I caught the last 10 minutes of it, and this is the worst HGTV makeover show I've seen yet. They tried to do a living room 'bohemian chic' and it looked so cheap and awful. IKEA curtains hanging from half of the ceiling, do it yourself painted tiger striped cheap-looking bookcase. They even paired a victorian sofa covered in floral print with a shag rug. Wow, it was hideous.

Summer Showdown would be more popular if the Summer Olympics weren't on at the same time. Also, the time restraint and lack of products for the designs makes for a show doomed from the get-go. I'll continue to watch, but it's not "must-see tv."
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3163701;
    DId anyone see the show "24 hour design"? yikes, I caught the last 10 minutes of it, and this is the worst HGTV makeover show I've seen yet. They tried to do a living room 'bohemian chic' and it looked so cheap and awful. IKEA curtains hanging from half of the ceiling, do it yourself painted tiger striped cheap-looking bookcase. They even paired a victorian sofa covered in floral print with a shag rug. Wow, it was hideous.

I have this on my Tivo and have not been watching it so I went to find this episode. MERCY! What was he thinking!? This is clearly not a style he understands, if I may be kind for a moment. I could easily design an adorable Bohemian room. There are so many ways to make this style fabulous.

You failed to mention the coffee table! It was cool as it was and to paint it THAT way? What was that about? Hideous is too kind an adjective for this room.

+ Reply to Thread