+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 96 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I looked up the background on Flip or Flop couple from CA. They were working in real estate when the market crashed and they sold their nice home and moved into a $700.00 per month apt to rent while awaiting their first baby. In desperation they got investors to help and started flipping. They have done quite well and now bought their own home. Check it out. I will advise that if you record it, set the recorder to cover the show that follows it, because it goes over about 5 seconds and you sometimes miss the profit they got on the sale.

Ref. the Renovation Raiders. I saw the first part of the lady host talking. She doesn't appeal to me. And I'm not sure why they have to do things in one evening. Wouldn't it be better to not rush and cut corners, but take time and do the kitchen over the course of a week? Over the years, I have tired of the rush theme on the makeover shows. I'm not sure I want to see more.

Please post about the show if you watch it. I am curious.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've watched a few episodes of Flip or Flop, Debb, and enjoy it so far. It always makes me nervous in the beginning when Tarek (spelling) peers into the home's windows to gauge what condition the house is in. Then after obtaining the winning bid they come into the house to find a huge mess. I am amazed at the rather large profits they are making. But still, I do not understand how he is able to accomplish so much on such a little budget. On one episode he mentioned a substantial kitchen reno cost of around 15 grand or more and said how that is twice his normal budget of 8 grand for the kitchen. I was shaking my head b/c I would like to do where he purchases his materials. Forget about the labor cost involved, but how can he buy new cabinets top and bottom, new appliances, new flooring, and granite countertops all for 8 grand or less? Can't figure that out. I haven't seen the new Renovation Raiders show so can't comment on that one.

Wasn't impressed with Renovation Raiders.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I looked up the background on Flip or Flop couple from CA. They were working in real estate when the market crashed and they sold their nice home and moved into a $700.00 per month apt to rent while awaiting their first baby. In desperation they got investors to help and started flipping. They have done quite well and now bought their own home. Check it out. I will advise that if you record it, set the recorder to cover the show that follows it, because it goes over about 5 seconds and you sometimes miss the profit they got on the sale.

Ref. the Renovation Raiders. I saw the first part of the lady host talking. She doesn't appeal to me. And I'm not sure why they have to do things in one evening. Wouldn't it be better to not rush and cut corners, but take time and do the kitchen over the course of a week? Over the years, I have tired of the rush theme on the makeover shows. I'm not sure I want to see more.

Please post about the show if you watch it. I am curious.
    All the HGTV shows "go over" It's a pain.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

There's already so much rushing in my life. I really don't enjoy shows where you have to rush too. And getting a rehab ready for an open house has been a life or death theme for years. I would think a more fresh approach might be more appealing.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    There's already so much rushing in my life. I really don't enjoy shows where you have to rush too. And getting a rehab ready for an open house has been a life or death theme for years. I would think a more fresh approach might be more appealing.
    I totally agree! I am tired of the Love it and List it format too. They always find horror behind the walls and the home owners pretend they did not expect it. Do they watch this show? Of course they do! And most know damn well that they have a mess on their hands they want fixed. That is why the applied for the damn thing.

Cooking competitions are guilty, as well. 5..4..3..2..1 Hands up!

I took Renovation Raiders off my DVR. You just cannot remodel a kitchen in 5 hours and have a shred of quality. I am waiting for the horror stories to surface.

So true. It's such a shame that they took the worst thing about a rehab show, (rush drama) and made it the theme of a new one. It's so yesterday. And it's also a shame for the homeowner. Just think of the nice, quality and detailed rehab they could have in their home if they had sufficient time to complete it. I would rather wait a few weeks and get my dream renovation, than have a surprised in one evening and a have just a thrown together rushed thing.

I wonder how their ratings are doing.

Hey, if you forgot that the design Star competition started last night, perhaps you can look for a re-run.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

NEW SHOW and I adore it: Renovation Unscripted with Heather and James. The first two episodes aired 6-29 and the next are scheduled for July 6th at 4 and 4:30 PM. Below is the show's description from the website:

About This Show

Heather Tom is an Emmy Award-winning actress starring on the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful. Along with her guitar-playing husband, James, these two are moths to a flame when it comes to renovation and design. A difficult project with lots of potential problems? Bring it on! A big design plan with a small budget? Sure! These two can't say no — even when they know they should. Heather and James bring their unique backgrounds and incredible design taste along as they renovate and design spaces all over Los Angeles — with lots of excitement along the way. They love acting and music, but they love transforming spaces just as much, and their projects weave through every aspect of their lives.

Renovation Unscripted : Home & Garden Television
    Debb70 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up, Arielflies. I will definitely check it out as I am getting tired of LIOLI and House Hunters. I recognize Heather Tom from both the Bold and Beautiful show and I believe she was also on Y&R.

+ Reply to Thread