+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 89 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm looking for good counter tops myself. We have a mid century modern home by a great architect and I want to keep it in that style. Granite seems too new for that era. Tile has grout, which I dislike cleaning.....and it has to be super duper clean for me to be satisfied. The Formica that is there, since it was built in '73 has seen much better days and driving me nuts.
    But in keeping with this thread, it didn't stop us from buying the house.
    And we are still living with the dishwasher that is black while the other appliances are stainless!

oh, horrors!!!

What about butcher block? I think that is a timeless look. We put in black formica countertops that look like granite. It was 12 years ago and granite was pricey back then. It still looks nice.

DL soapstone would work on your home as would butcher block. Stainless appliances are going out of style only to be replaced with a product called mirror white. It is basically white glass trimmed in chrome or stainless. Who think glass appliances are a smart idea....show of hands...didn't think so.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I'm continually amazed at how many prospective home buyers walk into a place and instantly say, this place will have to be updated and the place looks fine, IMO. I guess some people's idea of what is acceptable must be VERY high. Is it really necessary to update a kitchen, because you aren't wild about the cabinets or appliances? What if everything is in good condition and functions fine? I hope they are giving these useable items to the needy when they rip them out, instead of throwing them away. Not everyone can afford to be so choosey.
    NCLurker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I hope they are giving these useable items to the needy when they rip them out, instead of throwing them away. Not everyone can afford to be so choosey.
    That's what irks me about several of these shows. I've watched them gleefully destroy perfectly good cabinets that could have been used by someone else. Someone who didn't care that they weren't the absolute perfect color or didn't have shaker doors, etc. So wasteful.
    NCLurker likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    That's what irks me about several of these shows. I've watched them gleefully destroy perfectly good cabinets that could have been used by someone else. Someone who didn't care that they weren't the absolute perfect color or didn't have shaker doors, etc. So wasteful.
    I contacted one show.I said habitat for humanity could use these, why destroy them! OMG I was so mad.I am still waiting for a response, I doubt I will receive one
    FlyAKite likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I only remember once or twice on Income Property where the homeowners gave the unwanted cupboards to a charity to repurpose. There is an HGTV show called Rehab Addict where the gal who rehabs homes in the Midwest (Minnesota, I think, but she is from Detroit), strictly uses materials that have been salvaged and repurposed. I am amazed at how she can go into a store that sells used kitchen cupboards and somehow make it work in these older homes. I love that she restores them back to their former beauty; many older homes have so much charm.
    dzigner and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I only remember once or twice on Income Property where the homeowners gave the unwanted cupboards to a charity to repurpose. There is an HGTV show called Rehab Addict where the gal who rehabs homes in the Midwest (Minnesota, I think, but she is from Detroit), strictly uses materials that have been salvaged and repurposed. I am amazed at how she can go into a store that sells used kitchen cupboards and somehow make it work in these older homes. I love that she restores them back to their former beauty; many older homes have so much charm.
    I LOVE this show!! Hands down my favorite right now. And yes, you are right - she is in Minnesota.
    waywyrd, dzigner and Eastcoastmom like this.

On one of the DIY crossovers (Kitchen Crashers) the host has asked that the cabinets be taken down carefully as they are recycling them. Then it showed the crew carrying them out to a truck with a charity logo painted on it.

I've seen it done on other shows as well, but not as often as it should be done.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    The waste is just shameful, especially since the newish cabinets that these remodelers are trashing would have a lot of takers. I once posted a "free stuff" ad on Craigslist to get rid of four really ugly 70s-style sliding closet doors and someone picked them up the next day. Everything -- from hardware to unbroken tiles -- can be repurposed. Most cities have big warehouse stores with all that stuff.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Thanks for all the suggestions re new counter tops. I did have butcher's block when I re-did the kitchen in our last home and loved them.
    I also wince when I see so much that could be re-used and it's just trashed. I hate seeing waste.
    I think the young people we see on House Hunters who want everything to be high end are products of how our society has changed. My generation, brought up by parents who went thru the Depression, was taught that we saved until we could afford to up-grade. Now, people use credit to buy everything and anything. People don't seem to wait until they can afford things.
    I especially appalled when I see a man wanting the flat screen tv to be part of the sale of the house and if it's not, he may not buy it. Good grief!

+ Reply to Thread