+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 95 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

I got granite as a practical matter. It was super cheap, I could put a hot pot on it and it won't melt, and it didn't have the grout issue my previous crappy 4X4 bathroom ceramic tiles had. Plus it's black, so nothing shows. Everyone else I know is doing quartz, but I'm a budget person and got what I wanted without paying twice as much.

But the whole HGTV idealization of "open concept" still boggles my mind. If I had unlimited house perfecting funds, I'd add a wall and several doors....maybe even close in my front porch so the pizza guy doesn't have to come into my living room. I'm impossibly antisocial.
    JavaJo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm impossibly antisocial.
    I call it "being a home-body" but I think it's the same thing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    And granite is already on its way out. You never see it in magazines or high-end designer shows. It's like the travertine tile of countertops. And as much as I like the look of chicklet-tile backsplashes now, they're going to be the popcorn ceiling of backsplashes in about 5 years.
    Granite is the cheapest hard surface so it is here to stay. I don't like it and never have. I love concrete and what can be done to the surface to make is look fabulous.

The only surface that will not date your home is subway tile. It has been around forever and remains a classic.

This weekend I saw several shows where they installed cork floors. I've heard about them for awhile. I'm curious. Anyone here familiar with them?

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

For those who are interested, I found the Jillian Harris edition of Love It or List It called Love It or List It, Too. In my area it airs at 11 P.M. today, Mon 3-4-13.

Besides featuring former Bachelorette Jillian, who has done so well for herself with design shows, this is the one that is filmed in Vancouver, BC rather than Toronto, ON so we get western style homes as well as different scenery. I've been hoping they would bring this version from HGTV.CA to HGTV.USA
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This weekend I saw several shows where they installed cork floors. I've heard about them for awhile. I'm curious. Anyone here familiar with them?
    I like the concept of them (softer floor?), but I don't know if they'd hold up for me, especially in the bathroom. I'm pretty brutal when I clean.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Somehow on another thread - RHBH, the posts were becoming all about House Hunters....most of it negative about these young people with little money, usually very little experience in home buying (or life for that matter) and yet, they MUST have everything high-end. Granite, hard wood flooring, stainless steel appliances, etc etc etc.
    I know I'm old but when did things change from young people wanting to buy a first home.....first home usually meant buying something that you could afford and were lucky if some of it was nice. Most of it needed work or at the very least, paint.

Being in So Cal, buying a brand-new-just-built-house is a very rare thing and prices are extremely high so it's difficult for young people to even find somewhere to live that decent compared to those new homes that the young buyers are complaining about.
    (that's probably the longest sentence on all the threads....sorry!)
    Those people annoy the crap out of me. My first home was not the best looking, but I was so proud of it. It had cheap carpet (even in the bathroom--my first fix), the kitchen was orange and had flowers painted on the cabinet doors, the floor in the kitchens and bathrooms were cheap vinyl flooring, and the people who lived there loved bright colors on the walls. But that is what I could afford at the time, and with time I was able to have it fixed to my standards. That is one thing I don't get about those people---who cares if the walls are hideoous? It is called paint, and it is cheap and easy to do. As long as you have a house in good condition, the plumbing works, the kitchen appliances work, then the cosmetic things can be fixed later. Also, we had all sorts of mismatched furniture. We were happy to just have our own home that we could afford. Don't get me started on the ugly, cheaply made counter tops--but they did the job even though they weren't quartz or granite. And I would like to know what kind of jobs they have just starting out in their adult lives that they can afford houses that are almost half a million dollars? I never would have dreamed of getting a house like that. That was a goal I had for when I finished school and was established in my career. My husband and I now have a nice house, 2500 square feet, with more high end things, but we are in our 40s and we have been working toward that goal for decades and even with this current house, we had to do a little work outselves to make it pretty. And yes it is stupid to not ask about common sense things like structural issues. Those are much more important than a purple bathroom or a kitchen with (gasp!) white outdated appliances and cheap counter tops. Maybe I am old fashioned, but what do people have against walls? Why does everything have to be open? Someone also needs to educate these people about huge master bedrooms and walk in closets and en suite bathrooms. Those are a relatively new concept, so if you are looking at older homes, you won't see those. So please do not snort with contempt "This is the master?". I saw an episode where the couple specifically wanted an old home with "character" and then complained about the size of the master? How many people in 1920 had huge masters, walk in closets and en suite bathrooms?
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 03-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    waywyrd, nennie, Debb70 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree with many comments about Love it or List it. I stopped watching the show because of the things you say above. There is never enough money to properly remodel to the homeowners satisfaction. It doesn't make sense. Almost everytime she runs out of money. I'm tired of that. And I wonder why the money doesn't go further. IMO, since the homeowners are giving their time and house, they should only have to pay for the supplies and not labor. Labor should be covered by the tv show and the estimate of the cost to do what they want should be more on target.
    Part of the time I think the homeowners have to high of expectations considering a lot of those are older homes and from the way some of them keep their house, it doesn't look well cared for. I do think they should get a break on the labor, though. Hillary does annoy me. I don't know if it is for drama, but some of those things she should know before hand. One episode they wanted a shed and there was a permit issue with the city that made it impossible--that is inexcusable for her not to know. There was another one where they wanted to add a bathroom over the garage and there was a structural issue that made it impossible with the budget, again something she should know before she started. Also, it annoys me that she acts like she can do all that before hand--it seems like at least some of the problems they should know about. I would like it better if she came up with an estimate of what every single one of their wishes would cost and the homeowners decide what they can pay and based on that decide what is the highest priorities. I realize she can't know everything, but it seems like she makes a lot of promises without knowing she can deliver on them, and if I had hired her and was told my budget would cover everything, I would be upset too.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

But on LIOLI Hilary isn't the General Contractor; she is just the interior designer. Aren't Eddie or Fergus the ones who are pulling the permits for the work? I do agree, though, that given the scope of some of the jobs they tackle, she should talk to Eddie or Fergus beforehand to get a feel as to what problems they might encounter and how much things cost. But then, there wouldn't be any drama, would there? I don't mind Hilary as much but what does bug me is that David gets free rein with the budget. Can't find a home in desired neighborhood with all the bells and whistles? Oh well, just up the budget a schooch...doesn't everyone have another 50 grand to add to the pot? Meanwhile when funds are depleted at the work site, Hilary doesn't automatically get another 50 grand to complete the reno. I know most of the show is fake, but it still bugs, nonetheless.

Arielflies
    , thanks for the info on LIOLI, Vancouver. Is that 11 pm Pacific or Eastern time?

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I'm Pacific, so you'll have to check your own listings. It's not in primetime, but at least they are airing it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread