+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

The show is filmed in Canada.

I guess it depends on where you live. I'm in the Midwest so maybe that's why we get more bang for our buck? We've made many repairs, including installing central air, rewiring the whole house, painting inside and out, gutting most of the kitchen and the whole downstairs bath and haven't spent that much at all. I think we've spent around $18,000-$20,000 so far.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

JavaJo, are you doing the work yourself or did you hire contractors? My husband is a jack-of-all trades and in the past has gutted bathrooms, kitchens, ripped out walls, ceilings, installed floors, etc in the two homes we have owned since we married almost 30 years ago. But in 2007 we did a major reno to the house which involved building over a one story extension, adding an attached garage, putting in 2 zone central A/C, adding a mud room, new back steps, adding a master bath, upgrading the electrical system, new vinyl siding, new roof and adding a stone front porch. As he was in his late 50s at the time, it was just too much for him to do on his own. We saved money by having him install a new gas heating system, laying down new hardwood, baseboard, and painting the entire house (the kids helped to paint). When we got estimates we were in shock. We had never, ever contracted anything out before and the estimates ranged from $150K to well over $300K. At the time the housing market had not dropped and housing prices were at an all-time high. We had been in our home for 10 years at the time and seen its value more than double. We went with the lowest bidder who was an acquaintance of my husband. What we spent on just the renovation, which added maybe 700 square feet, buys a huge, modern home in Atlanta with all the bells and whistles. ( We live in the suburbs outside of NYC where housing costs are very high.) The house is lovely but it's not overly large at maybe 2300 square feet, which is the largest home I have ever lived in, but it still is a lot of house to clean with 3 full baths. When I see these young couples turn up their noses at homes they deem too small at over 2000 square feet, I shake my head. It's taken us 30 years to have our dream home, which still does not have the requisite granite in the kitchen nor updated cupboards.

My husband does all of the work. The only thing he hasn't done himself was install the central air unit and that only cost us around $3,000. I'm fortunate that he's so handy.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

My husband likes to think he's handy. Unfortunately, he's really not. He's pretty good with some stuff (like laying floors and rugs), but he's not really that good at a lot of the other stuff.

So I have to try to keep a balance between what he does and what I end up paying someone to fix. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    My husband does all of the work. The only thing he hasn't done himself was install the central air unit and that only cost us around $3,000. I'm fortunate that he's so handy.
    I live in Northern Virginia and I have been in my house long enough that I will need to replace the furnace and AC. I have been quoted around $4,000 to replace each, in reality it will be more likely to be $8,000 -$10,000 (for both jobs) depending on what model I get.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

When we built our house 20 something years ago, my medium sized kitchen's cabinets and counter tops ALONE were $13,000. And that wasn't using high-end Smallbone cabinetry or with granite counter tops. (We have Corian.) I agree that the expectations of the homeowners are often unrealistic.

It is funny, though how far the Property Brothers seem to be able to stretch a dollar.

When I see what new home owners can get for what I originally paid for and they complain I too just want to reach into TV Land and slap them silly. What whinny babies. What spoiled brats.
    FlyAKite, Allie and TripleGemini like this.

Looking forward to watching the new season of Income Property. New episodes will be 1 hour long.
    Allie and nennie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Considering most of the homes Hilary works on are older 60 to 100 yrs old there are structural issues, electrical, plumbing, that costs. What gets me is the humongous expectations the homeowners have for the updates.
    exactly your home is a dump and not well kept and then you want to be picky on the new home too. I know darn well some of these people know their homes all of these structural issues. Its probably why they are moving.

I like Property Brothers the best.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

When I see a family with storage issues (crap all over) I cringed when they choose a new home. I wonder how long it will take for it to look exactly like their old home.
    JavaJo likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread