+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 87 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I watched HGTVs version of the parade, mostly because I heard when I first put it on that station that there would be no commercials. I dont watch too many HGTV shows, so I had no idea who the hosts were, tho I did recognize the guy that was on the HGTV float. I didnt really like the cut ins from the parade route. I LOVED the soldier surprising his wife, that made me tear up.
    I went and signed up to win the dream home too, after seeing it. Chances are small, but I would LOVE to live in SC on an Island!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    I watched HGTVs version of the parade, mostly because I heard when I first put it on that station that there would be no commercials. I dont watch too many HGTV shows, so I had no idea who the hosts were, tho I did recognize the guy that was on the HGTV float. I didnt really like the cut ins from the parade route. I LOVED the soldier surprising his wife, that made me tear up.
    I went and signed up to win the dream home too, after seeing it. Chances are small, but I would LOVE to live in SC on an Island!
    We watched NBC! They had NO commercials!
    KAREN

Ironic that I posted that I dont watch too many HGTV shows, last night a reality show that is filmed locally debuted on HGTV (it was on for about 4 eps on DIY) last night! Its call Salvage Dawgs. They are guys that go around Salvaging things from old buildings, etc and restore or reuse them to sell. Check it out if you get a chance!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I just started watching Love It or List it and I love this show. I like seeing what Hilary does to the homes and what David comes up with. He's found some fantastic houses. There are aspects that I don't like though. Hilary's budget for instance. She's given $50,000 on the average and she always runs out of money. Ok lady, you are going into older homes and you don't think there will be bad wiring? Ok. I would think she'd start planning for that off the bat. Also, she takes something off the table because of money yet buys them expensive furnishings. How about buying cheaper furnishings and finishing the bathroom? Do couples with small children really need all those expensive knick knacks lying around? And the other thing is...some of those people live like animals. Crap just thrown everywhere. I have to wonder if HGTV doesn't go in and mess things up to make it look worse, because the people complaining about storage would find they actually had storage space if they organized. Watched a rerun last night of a couple who were upset they didn't have closet space but every bedroom had a closet. When Hilary opened the doors, toys and clothes were just thrown in. Nothing was neatly stacked or hung up.

My house is a five bedroom home built in 1900. The rooms aren't large but each bedroom has a small closet. I have one bedroom that I use for storage and I have everything in labeled tubs and stacked neatly. It's easy to find what I'm looking for and doesn't look like a bomb went off in there.

One family had torn out the bathroom floor and had to go with their kids to the bathroom so they wouldn't fall through. They had to step on the beams. I was thinking...they couldn't take a couple of hours and lay down subflooring? Instead they just left it? So weird.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I agree with many comments about Love it or List it. I stopped watching the show because of the things you say above. There is never enough money to properly remodel to the homeowners satisfaction. It doesn't make sense. Almost everytime she runs out of money. I'm tired of that. And I wonder why the money doesn't go further. IMO, since the homeowners are giving their time and house, they should only have to pay for the supplies and not labor. Labor should be covered by the tv show and the estimate of the cost to do what they want should be more on target.
    justCoz likes this.

And I wonder why the money doesn't go further.
    Exactly. One couple gave her $60,000 and all they got was a living room and a kitchen. Granted, the kitchen was extended by about 4 feet, but still. I'd be angry if that's all I got for that money, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Considering most of the homes Hilary works on are older 60 to 100 yrs old there are structural issues, electrical, plumbing, that costs. What gets me is the humongous expectations the homeowners have for the updates.
    nanarama likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Heehee, how true about costs v. expectations. My husband and I have taken on some diy projects around the house, and mid-way into the frustration he'll usually mention how it really helps you realize just why labor is so expensive. It's hard work!
    Talking about what can be accomplished with those renovation budgets -- do you guys watch Property Brothers? I am always impressed with the limited time and budget within which the construction brother works, while providing such great results. I like that show.
    nanarama likes this.
    remember to play

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Exactly. One couple gave her $60,000 and all they got was a living room and a kitchen. Granted, the kitchen was extended by about 4 feet, but still. I'd be angry if that's all I got for that money, too.
    I'm the opposite - I usually wonder how they get so much for so little money. About 2 years ago, my daughter and SIL bought a house and got a $70,000 or $80,000 construction loan. For that, they replaced a rotting deck over the carport, had a central heating/AC system installed (that was about $10K), install a gas line from road to house ($3K), painted the outside of the house, had 2 new toilets installed, installed a cabinet where a coat closet had been, built two closets in existing bedrooms, installed a refrigerator and washer and dryer, installed new faucets in two bathrooms, fixed wiring in 2 bedrooms and a bath, closed over old vent holes, and a few more small things. And the contractor they used was $20K-$40K cheaper than other bids.

When for $45,000, I see Hilary do a kitchen remodel, knock out walls, and finish a basement with a bath, I'm skeptical. I live in California - they must be doing these remodels somewhere where labor is a lot cheaper. But I've wondered if, besides Hilary and Desta, the general contractor and a couple of helpers are on salary with the show, and their labor isn't counted (only materials and the labor of subs) - and that way, the general contractor wouldn't be adding on 10% for overhead.

The other thing I don't understand is the house value after the remodel. Updating a kitchen typically returns 80-90% of the investment. Kitchens and baths have the highest return on investment. But on Love It or List It, they might give a pre-remodel value of $500,000 and after a $50K remodel, the value is around $575,000. One way that could be happening is if for most people, it would have been an $85,000 remodel, but a portion of the labor costs weren't counted.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Considering most of the homes Hilary works on are older 60 to 100 yrs old there are structural issues, electrical, plumbing, that costs. What gets me is the humongous expectations the homeowners have for the updates.
    The expectations are totally ridiculous, imo. I know the locales are in Canada but there can't be that much of a difference in construction costs there and in the U.S. I mean the other day they had a couple who had saved for a very long time to buy a house. They had lived there a while and had 2 kids and the house was no longer working for them. What surprised me was David's evaluation of the home at $280,000. It surprised me b/c most of the neighborhoods they film in have homes that are worth at least half a million and on up. Anyway, this couple had set aside $25,000 for renovations. They wanted a new kitchen, a second bath, open concept, you name it, the works. Around here you would be lucky if you get a bath remodel for that price.

I do love Hilary's designs, however. She does tend to choose high end finishes. In one house where she could not put in the second bath, she put in fancy stair railings and super nice furniture. There had been a lot of structural problems that precluded her putting in that second bath. Anyway, I would rather forego the high end finishes in favor of a second bath. This particular couple had 4 kids and only one bath in the home. They also had 3 daughters and one son and a total of 4 bedrooms. 2 girls shared, one girl had her own room, the son had his own room, and parents had own room. They had a pretty hefty budget for this show of around 65k and wanted a 5th bedroom and the second bath. The husband was using a first floor bedroom as an office. They got nothing that they wanted and decided to list. In that case, I didn't blame them. But for the most part folks have to be more realistic with their budget and expectations.

One final peeve...David almost ALWAYS shows the couple a home way out of budget. Sure, I could find you your dream home too if I went $100,000 over budget. I don't understand how that is fair to Hilary b/c she does not get more money if she runs into problems and has to cut things off the work list. Also, who has an extra 100K in their pockets? Are most folks that flexible with budgets?

+ Reply to Thread