+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3157421;

LuvsGinger - I wish they told what colors they use, too. It is hard to find just that right shade!
    That would be a step in the right direction for me. I am so "un" talented in that area. I know what I like, but I can't put it together myself. I have to call my neighbors over for advice before choosing anything!
    I checked out Room and Board, there is one in SF but doesn't look like it's an outlet, oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3157829;
    That would be a step in the right direction for me. I am so "un" talented in that area. I know what I like, but I can't put it together myself. I have to call my neighbors over for advice before choosing anything!
    I checked out Room and Board, there is one in SF but doesn't look like it's an outlet, oh well!
    I have so much painting going on all the time, just from experience I have a few go-to colors that look pretty good no matter what the room/property. When I'm stumped I use these colors and everyone always likes it. The one I go crazy with all the time is called "Pecan Sandie" and Behr makes it. It's a basic builder's beige that is so popular right now (with a basic white trim). Behr is sold at Home Depot. It's a never fail color!

Some magazines are good about listing paint colors used - but they always use really expensive, designer paints that are only sold at certain stores. Since I like to do everything on the smallest budget possible, I don't want to spend 80$ for a gallon of paint. But I've learned that if you see a color you like in a magazine, you can bring the pic to Home Depot and they will match the color for you! I've done that a couple times and was happy both times.

Anyway, I'd be excited if HGTV had more shows where they do actual, real life designing and not just quick, cheap fixes with particle board and staple guns. If I'm going to re-do a room, I want to do it in a way that will last and look good for years to come. There are too many shows that are just about covering up uglies in order to sell a house or redoing something in a day.

FORT Fogey

I would like to see a medium budget show devoted to only modern decor.

onei0091
    Thanks for the tip. Do you know the name of the color that is a little trendy right now, it is sort of dark green almost greyish green? Jeff Lewis has it in many of his properties.

One other question for all you designers out there. I am painting my kitchen and we have oak cabinets. We have a decorative tile that has a rust color and also a olive green that surrounds the perimeter of the eating area. The kitchen will look good either color but any thoughts? I know it's hard to answer without seeing but any clues? As I mentioned before, I do not have any design talent at all. The color is a neutral beige right now and I want to add more color.
    Last edited by luvsginger; 08-09-2008 at 08:40 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3161087;
    onei0091
    Thanks for the tip. Do you know the name of the color that is a little trendy right now, it is sort of dark green almost greyish green? Jeff Lewis has it in many of his properties.

One other question for all you designers out there. I am painting my kitchen and we have oak cabinets. We have a decorative tile that has a rust color and also a olive green that surrounds the perimeter of the eating area. The kitchen will look good either color but any thoughts? I know it's hard to answer without seeing but any clues? As I mentioned before, I do not have any design talent at all. The color is a neutral beige right now and I want to add more color.
    That green is not just one color. There is a large range in gray greens.

I think rust would be too intense for cabinets. A light shade of olive may work. Are there any other colors in that tile? I would probably aim for a warm tan, deeper than the beige. Since cabinets are heavy visually, you don't want to over do color. And taking an exact color from the tile could be too matchy, matchy. I would check out high end decor magazines for ideas. Metropolitan Home and Elle Decor to name two.

Shoepie - Thanks, do you know what color chart I can look at for that type of green I am referring to? If I have a little clue, I can take it from there.
    Regarding the kitchen tile, the tile is a pattern which is hard to describe but the two colors that stand out are rust and olive. First, I had chosen the rust but watching HGTV, I notice many kitchens are green. I'm not worried about "matchy matchy" because of the design in the tile. I like your idea of the light olive but will also look in the magazines you suggested. Thanks, I wish I had an "eye" for that stuff. I guess we all have our own different talents.

As far as the second episode of Summer Showdown I thought that Lisa La Porta's kitchen should have won.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I was watching the Olympics back and forth with this show, so I didn't get to see the entire episode. One kitchen seemed to be too dark. Was that the one that won? The couple said their current kitchen didn't have any color, so why go with dark colors? I'll check out the web site to see if the pictures there are any better than what little I saw on TV.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;3162450;
    I was watching the Olympics back and forth with this show, so I didn't get to see the entire episode. One kitchen seemed to be too dark. Was that the one that won? The couple said their current kitchen didn't have any color, so why go with dark colors? I'll check out the web site to see if the pictures there are any better than what little I saw on TV.
    The girls made the kitchen with the dark cabinets going with the theory that the owners said that they wanted a complete change, while the guys kept the white colored cabinents. The judges made a comment that the darker kitchen seemed more a bachelor pad than a family kitchen. Anyway the guys/white kitchen won. I personally hated the green countertops in the white kitchen but hey whatever floats your boat.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I didn't love the guys' color choices and it was way too crowded with over-sized accessories but I'm glad they won because I hated the girls' dark cabinets. I thought the stain on them was horrible so no matter what else they did in that kitchen, it couldn't have made up for that.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread