+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I remember one episode where an obviously VERY wealthy couple were looking for houses (big houses) and the wife was obsessively picky. One house, that from my viewpoint was a mansion, she hated because they had a cat door, so that means they had a cat which I guess to her meant the place was a pigsty. She finally chose the most expensive new construction so I guess she wouldn't have to buy other people's 'dirty' homes. Why didn't they just do that in the first place??

Does anyone know what concessions people get when they agree to choose a house this way? Do they not have to pay realtor's fees?

I remember one HHI episode where the couple had looked at I think over a 100 homes and you couldn't please him. This was his second stint on HHI and he still didn't buy anything because he wanted a top of the line house for cheap. Some of these rich people are just way over the top. I do have to say I love seeing how the houses are decorated after they buy. What is funny is those that are the pickiest seem to have very little design style.

What I lie about HHI is seeing all the gorgeous beaches and beautiful blues waters in the tropical places........makes me want to pull up a beach chair and sit a spell.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I remember one HHI episode where the couple had looked at I think over a 100 homes and you couldn't please him. This was his second stint on HHI and he still didn't buy anything because he wanted a top of the line house for cheap. Some of these rich people are just way over the top. I do have to say I love seeing how the houses are decorated after they buy. What is funny is those that are the pickiest seem to have very little design style.

What I lie about HHI is seeing all the gorgeous beaches and beautiful blues waters in the tropical places........makes me want to pull up a beach chair and sit a spell.
    Agreed. To me, it is always seeing what I could get for what I could afford in different places! Where I live, I can live in a very nice house. If I moved to Tokyo, I think I would be lucky to get 300 square feet!!

FORT Fogey

I agree with a lot of you on some people's "need" for the most modern kitchen. If I never hear the term Master Bedroom again, it will be too soon. People looking at a 50s home and mutter disdainfully "This is the master?"
    They didn't have that concept then, you self-centered idiot.

Now everyone wants an ensuite(or as I call it a master bathroom) bathroom. I do remember seeing another epidsode where they brought back some of the people who had done the show and a lot of them weren't satisfied and wished they had of waited. One of the reasons our economy is in such big trouble is people are never satisfied with anything so they are always wanting bigger and better. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it. The builder across the road from me inflated loans and those people ended up losing their houses and he is now in federal prison.

Not only are people getting 40 year mortgages they are taking 7 years to pay off a car. I know one family who bought a house in a golfing community but couldn't afford furniture for the house. Somethings wrong with picture.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

About the episode with the cat door: while I love cats myself ( and used to have them,) and didn't see that particular episode (and I'm sure the lady was rude about it as so many potential home buyers on the show are) I would never buy a house where someone had a cat because my husband and one of my daughters are HIGHLY allergic to cat dander and I would be afraid it might even be in the ductwork which is hard to get completely clean. My love and concern for my family and their health would be foremost.

Having said that, so many of these HH episodes crack me up!

But the craziest was the HHI episode where a young family of six were buying a vacation home in Fuji. The house was well over a million dollars and there would be upkeep and plane fare back and forth for the family to use it. The mortgage would be pretty astronomical and then how can ANYONE afford to visit it frequently enough to make it cost effective? If you wanted your family to vacation there, wouldn't it make more sense to rent a place when you wanted to be there and not have to pay for it the rest of the year? This one has driven me crazy! Is it just that I can't relate to people with enough money to do such a crazy thing? I'm baffled!

A lot of them say they want a property that can be rented out when not there. Many are doing it for investment purposes and also I am sure the taxes are a lot less out of country. What gets me is the HOA fees. I can't imagine paying a mortgage and then HOA"s that expensive on top of it.

Has anyone seen the Million Dollar Rooms show? Outlandish

Why do people think they need a "master bedroom" what on earth do you do there but sleep and well you know....
    There's no place like home!

Well every master needs it's own room..........lol

When I was living in an apartment I wanted a huge master for myself. I guess it makes a difference when you have roommates and share an apartment or a house and it also makes sense to want your own bathroom. But now that I have a house and I am not sharing it doesn't matter how big the master bedroom is, because I have the whole house to myself. That's what gets me about these young couples. Unless you already have a family or are planning to start one soon you really don't need a huge master. To me location, and storage is more important and space. Seriously, when I listen to some of these young couples and what they complain about I just want to slap them silly.

Oh, when I see some of these houses and the upgrades they have and then the prices and to hear the complaints I just want to scream and tell them they are spoiled brats.
    Cootie and nennie like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread