+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    And I have to admit to enjoying wanting to smack the crap out of some of these picky, snotty people who vow that kitchens without granite countertops and stainless appliances (or god forbid! a dated tile floor or the wrong color wood cabinets) will need to be totally gutted. I like to blow off steam by yelling at my tv now and then.
    This made me LOL. Probably because I do the same thing.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I agree on the granite countertops/stainless appliances. I still do not have either and honestly do not want either. My question is how in the heck some of these people qualify for such high mortgages?
    Mine, too. I mean a young professional with less than a year on the job qualifying for $300,000 plus?
    Allie likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I agree on the granite countertops/stainless appliances. I still do not have either and honestly do not want either. My question is how in the heck some of these people qualify for such high mortgages?
    I have never understood how/why the banks can justify this. The rule used to be that they will approve you for up to 3 times your annual salary. I think it is actually higher now, as long as your credit score is ok. We are building a house and because of the economy we wanted the house to only be in my husband's name, while our current house is in my name only. He was approved for a mortgage on the new house that is more than 3 times his annual salary! There were requirements on what the downpayment needed to be and we are fine because of my salary and renting out our current house, but I was still amazed (although grateful) that he was approved on his salary alone!

This is how the mortgage crisis began....over extending. Banks/mortgage companies are the only ones making money, but it would not surprise me to see the boom lowered again.
    There's no place like home!

Yes, we walked away from another new house about 8 years ago. We lost the downpayment, which hurt, but we knew it was too much. The mortgage company had quoted us one payment and when the docs came down it was a completely different amount. We knew what we each brought home each month and what our other expenses were and knew we couldn't afford it. So we walked away. I will never forget the mortgage person's comment - "but our underwriting says you can afford it". Seriously?? Are you kidding me? Yeah, needless to say I was not surprised at the mortgage crisis. I represented a mortgage company and I couldn't believe how many people took out mortgages on houses with monthly payments that exceeded their monthly take home. I just couldn't figure out what those people were thinking! Their attitude - the bank said I could afford it!

Wow, finally decided to check this thread out because I love watching House Hunters and HHI. Imagine my delight to see others who want to throw things at the television when people sneer at perfectly good houses because (gasp!) the counter tops are not granite and the appliances aren't stainless. The Horror. When we bought our house, we had spent years previously living in small apartments in Vancouver that we paid a fortune in rent for. We were just thrilled we had a kitchen that wasn't the size of a postage stamp, that we had more than 3 rooms total, and that we didn't have a landlord. I'm just amazed at how picky some people are, particularly those who are buying their first home. It's crazy!
    cablejockey and norealityhere like this.

Those picky people make me shout at the tv too, or at least roll my eyes quite a bit. I love when they don't love a color on the walls and act like it's such a big deal. It's such an easy fix. They all want their stainless appliances which as a cleaning lady I can say they're not always what they're cracked up to be. Sure we can clean them and the minute someone touches them it will show the fingerprints.

I also agree about the ones who supposedly want a different lifestyle yet they really only want a new location, not an actual different lifestyle.

Having said that I really love HHI and seeing all those locations.
    Allie likes this.

Anyone watching design star? I like the welder guy for some reason.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Design Star has its own thread in the basement section of the index. A few (including me) have posted...join us here.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/design-star/
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I remember watching a HH episode one day and this single gal had been looking for awhile for a house and she was so picky but the worst part was she was hateful and snotty. I wanted to yell at the realtor and say dump her butt as a client. I to wonder how some of these people afford these houses. I feel blessed to have my inherited almost 10 acres and my 30 year old wood frame house.

I did read that the house they are going to buy has already been chosen and they work the show around that. I do look at some of these houses that these younguns snub their noses at and think oh to have had a house like that at that age. I still don't have a house like some of them being shown.
    justCoz likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread