+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Re: HGTV Shows

I just looked at the website for HGTV because now it's bugging me too!!! There's Double Take, and Sensible Chic, but I KNOW there's another one!

Maybe it's on TLC or Style Network? hmmmmm
    Could does not mean should

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

The Double Take show is back under a different name I can't remember. I've seen a couple of episodes recently. And YES! Candice Olsen rocks! When she pulls out her catalogues of furniture, have you noticed that she has her own furniture designs? She is a fireplace feature wall fanatic and was one of the first I remember using glass tile as a surround. One of my favorite of her designs was for a teeny tiny bungalow in desparate need of repair. She divided the narrow room into three comfortably liveable zones. Give her three tasks for a room and she "zones" it perfectly.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Yes! It was Double Take. I don't remember Sensible Chic. After being slammed with Shabby Chic so much lately, I automatically cringe at anything that has Chic in it.

There was a show once where this lady redid a mans office into the most amazing Old Word lounge. The walls were this rich deep maroon and it was stunning. She put antique maps on the walls and leather furnishings. I wish I could remember the show because it was one of my favorite designs ever and I still want to do a study like that.

I like Candace Olsen's voice and she was so cute when she was pregnant.

I recently watched Myles of Style....has Kim's voice always been so annoying? It made me cringe.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3155861;
    Yes! It was Double Take. I don't remember Sensible Chic. After being slammed with Shabby Chic so much lately, I automatically cringe at anything that has Chic in it.

There was a show once where this lady redid a mans office into the most amazing Old Word lounge. The walls were this rich deep maroon and it was stunning. She put antique maps on the walls and leather furnishings. I wish I could remember the show because it was one of my favorite designs ever and I still want to do a study like that.

I recently watched Myles of Style....has Kim's voice always been so annoying? It made me cringe.

While You Were Out did an old world study similar to what you describe, was that it?

YES! Thank you. I used to love that show and the carpenter, Andrew, was so HOT. Then Evan got on there and I lost interest. But I remember that old world study and how awesome it was. Actually when the show first started, they did a lot of rooms I really liked. Like the beach cottage bedroom was another one. Wasn't that TLC though?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3155977;
    YES! Thank you. I used to love that show and the carpenter, Andrew, was so HOT. Then Evan got on there and I lost interest. But I remember that old world study and how awesome it was. Actually when the show first started, they did a lot of rooms I really liked. Like the beach cottage bedroom was another one. Wasn't that TLC though?

Yes, TLC.

The one thing that bothered me about that show was the forced laughter and hilarity between the hosts. They wanted to appear that they were having a great time, of course, but too often it did not seem genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3155861;

Yeah, I saw Double Take! That was a good show. That's pretty much what I do when I decorate - I flip through endless home magazines, and when I find something I like I dog ear the page, and then try and recreate it the best I can for much less. It can take some looking, but it's fun to do and I'm always happy with the result.

Which is why shows like decorating cents irk me. They get 500? You can actually do quite a bit for 500$. But they make weird decorating choices most of the time. Nothing is going to look high end if you are using orange paint with yellow trim. Know what I mean? Get a crisp white for the trim and a nice champagne colored beige for walls. Or even black looks really cool in some rooms with white trim if you do it right. ANything but neon green, orange, etc.
    I remember when I was a kid that Joan (the host of decorating cents) was an newscaster for a local channel here in Minneapolis. So it's weird seeing her in overalls talking about knick knacks, LOL. For most of the episodes they go to the same local stores - and totally miss out on some really great discount furniture stores. We have a Room and Board Outlet that has nice, high end furniture at very low prices. Why don't they ever go there? :-/
    ilja likes this.

Does anyone know if they post the name of the paint color they use on their shows on the website? I am painting my living room and dining room and watch HGTV for ideas but can't figure out the name of the colors they use. It's surprising how a different shade of the same color can have a completely different effect.

FORT Fogey

onei0091- You have a Room and Board outlet near you! ACK! Where do you live? PM me. I would drive looooooong distances for that. They have a fabulous line of stuff.

luvsginger- Even if you like a paint color on TV it doesn't mean it will translate to your room. Hell, they don't often translate to the bedroom TV! Colors can look different, depending on the light to a huge degree. I once bought a beautiful deep putty green/gray. Luckily I only bought a quart to test it. It looked like battle ship gray where I wanted to put it.

It's in Minneapolis, MN! And it *is* fabulous. It's quite large and always full of stuff. Most of it doesn't have anything wrong with it, the customer just didn't like it for whatever reason. I got a great sofa there, it was originally 2300$ and I got it for 450$ and it was sent to outlet because it was a custom ordered sofa and the buyer didn't like the color of the fabric in person. Oh yeah...
    The only thing is, it's only open on weekends, and Sat morning there is a line to get in the door and a race to get to the good stuff. I'm not that ambitious, but I still snag some great stuff there
    Room & Board - Stores

LuvsGinger - I wish they told what colors they use, too. It is hard to find just that right shade!

+ Reply to Thread