+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 100 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

HGTV has a show on called Homewreckers on Sunday at 8:30 am. This show showcases what happens to a home when the homeowners don't do any regular maintenance for example spending $40,000 on a new kitchen but not fixing the roof that is leaking.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I watch a lot of Holmes on Home & Holmes Inspection, and frequently he mentions a "cold room" in the basement. I've poked around on the internet, but never could find an adequate explanation as to what a "cold room" is. (Basically what I've found is that's where you keep your beer, but no one on the Holmes shows has beer in there.) Can anyone shed some light on this concept for me? None of my PA/NY relatives have one of these, and I live so far south that I am in shorts & a t-shirt today, with the a/c going full-tilt, so the cold room in my house is the bathroom, as it's the smallest room in the house and has an a/c duct.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I watch a lot of Holmes on Home & Holmes Inspection, and frequently he mentions a "cold room" in the basement. I've poked around on the internet, but never could find an adequate explanation as to what a "cold room" is. (Basically what I've found is that's where you keep your beer, but no one on the Holmes shows has beer in there.) Can anyone shed some light on this concept for me? None of my PA/NY relatives have one of these, and I live so far south that I am in shorts & a t-shirt today, with the a/c going full-tilt, so the cold room in my house is the bathroom, as it's the smallest room in the house and has an a/c duct.
    It is a root cellar

http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/w...-room/id-1076/

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Thanks Allie! The whole notion is so foreign to me! I wish I could have a basement, let alone a cold room.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I live in southern FL and no need for air in the winter. I see you don't share where you live but I would love to know if you care to PM me! You must be very close to the equator!

I think that basically it is an uninsulated room in the basement. On Holmes show, this room seems to be directly under the front porch. He gets mad when they try to make it an actual room for living (such as the laundry room this week) as there is usually no way for the air to flow through vents, etc. Most people, I guess, use this room for storage.

What surprised me this week is that they gave Grannie a full kitchen when he was going on and on about basement apartments being illegal in that area. He also couldn't enlarge the window for egress so he didn't re-enclose the bedroom, yet she will be sleeping and living down there. That just felt wrong, somehow. On another show they gave the family a refrigerator and sink, but no stove as that would make it a kitchen. I'm scratching my head on this one.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I had to look up Chris to remember who he was.

My landscaper, Larry, is signing onto HGTV and they show they have planned for him is to landscape veterans property. Not just curb appeal but huge stuff. HGTV said they have to get the audience to connect positively to him so rejected his idea of landscaping reality stars homes. He and his wife watch a lot of reality TV. He works for Disney and installs gardens+ up there; that is how they found him. I found him because in his off times of doing major work up there he lives near me and works locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think that basically it is an uninsulated room in the basement. On Holmes show, this room seems to be directly under the front porch. He gets mad when they try to make it an actual room for living (such as the laundry room this week) as there is usually no way for the air to flow through vents, etc. Most people, I guess, use this room for storage.

What surprised me this week is that they gave Grannie a full kitchen when he was going on and on about basement apartments being illegal in that area. He also couldn't enlarge the window for egress so he didn't re-enclose the bedroom, yet she will be sleeping and living down there. That just felt wrong, somehow. On another show they gave the family a refrigerator and sink, but no stove as that would make it a kitchen. I'm scratching my head on this one.
    They did that on an episode of Income Property. Depending where you live and what the building codes are for that particular city or county or township and what the zoning laws are is what defines a legal or illegal apartment. I know lots of folks in the Northern Virginia area rent out rooms and basements but not all are considered legal apartments. A bedroom needs a means of egress (exit) besides the door incase of fire. That usually means a window big enough for a real person to be able to use and that does not mean a normal basement window that only a small child could maybe crawl out of but not reach. Really it depends on where you live. Also many of the HGTV shows are filmed in Canada therefore the cold room that used to be used to store root vegetables, canned goods, beer, Canada Dry and Wink.

Oh, to answer your original question, if the basement does not meet all the criteria of a legal aparment again depending on the laws of that area it may not be able to contain a full working kitchen. In some cases that means no cooktop but a frig and microwave are OK. It just depends.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Just watched a new episode of Property Virgins with the new host Egypt something or other. It is based in New York now and didn't really like the host.

Well I am answering my own question:

Property Virgins - New Host - Topic

Posted Jan 04, 2012 06:53 PM Hide Post
    From her Facebook page:

Thank you to all of my wonderful fans, who take the time to write such kind things on facebook, twitter and e-mail.

After 130 episodes and 10 seasons, I have chosen to give up Property Virgins in favour of my new show called Buy Herself. We are currently in production for HGTV Canada and are scheduled to premier in March 2012. I hope that the show will get picked up for the US territory as well, since I have such devoted fans!

I am really excited about the new show as it delves into the very change that is happening around us. For the first time in history, a significant number of women are buying real estate on their own, taking charge of their financial situations, whether they have delayed marriage, decided not to marry, or belong to the stat that says 41% of marriages end in divorce. Women buying real estate is not a fad, it’s history in the making and I am very proud to be a part of it on TV.

The show is filled with fun and drama, and will entertain and inform.

I can’t wait for you all to see it!

Thanks for your loyalty and all of your incredible comments today and always!

Love to you all,
    Sandra

+ Reply to Thread