+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 97 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

Anyone watching All American Handyman??
    I find it interesting to see how things are built. There are 3 or 4 who seem to be rising to the top, and the others don't know what they are doing. One of the top contestants is a woman.

Yep, I've been watching. I'm sort of handy myself, so it's interesting from that perspective. And I'm a fan of Mike Holmes and Scott McGillvray. I did get a chuckle out of All-American Handyman with both judges from Canada. Yeah yeah, I know Canada is in North America, but I'd be willing to bet every single Canadian, if asked "Are you an American?", would reply "No, I'm a Canadian".

I also don't get why they have the woman host (I've forgotten her name already), except as some sort of eye candy. She has no credentials in construction, DIY, decorating, nothing.

I am left with questions about how much information/instruction the contestants are given. Like this table that was one of the challenges to make -- it was ambiguous as to whether it folded or not. Wouldn't you -- in the real world -- have recourse to ASKING the client their intention? That's what cell phones are for, right? And Mike was saying he was giving extra weight to the woman who easily finished her project (planter) and went to help others. Yep, an admirable human trait. But how are the contestants to know if that would count FOR them or AGAINST them?

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Yep, I've been watching. I'm sort of handy myself, so it's interesting from that perspective. And I'm a fan of Mike Holmes and Scott McGillvray. I did get a chuckle out of All-American Handyman with both judges from Canada. Yeah yeah, I know Canada is in North America, but I'd be willing to bet every single Canadian, if asked "Are you an American?", would reply "No, I'm a Canadian".
    It is kind of funny isn't it? Kind of like in the movie "The Proposal" - Sandra Bullock, an American was playing the role of a Canadian living in the US, about to be deported, and Ryan Reynolds, a Canadian was playing the role of the American (from Alaska) who would marry her to prevent her from being deported.

I love Mike Holmes. He really knows his stuff. The show does make me feel a little bit anxious though about hiring a handyman...
    So far, all of the challenges have been woodworking challenges this year. I hope they do some other types of challenges - drywall, window repair, install a faucet, etc like they did last year.

I just watched Meg's new show, Great Rooms. Surprised, I actually really liked it. She was very personable and un-polished in a good way - teasing about the drinks in the decanters, etc. The design looked really good, but I couldn't help but wonder why she left the kitchen as a galley. Looked like maybe they colud have taken down a wall and opened the house up? Anyway, good show & I'll watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I just watched Meg's new show, Great Rooms. Surprised, I actually really liked it. She was very personable and un-polished in a good way - teasing about the drinks in the decanters, etc. The design looked really good, but I couldn't help but wonder why she left the kitchen as a galley. Looked like maybe they colud have taken down a wall and opened the house up? Anyway, good show & I'll watch again.
    It was on already? When?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Am really liking Showhouse Showdown. I wouldn't mind seeing the designers on Design Star do something like this show to determine the next Design Star. Really didn't like the minimalist design guy, his rooms felt empty. Before anyone tells me that is what minimalism is a really good minimalist room feels complete and purposeful not empty and blah like this guys did.

Hi Bearcata!
    I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly when Meg's show "Greast Rooms" aired since I set up the recording on my DVR. We watched it on Sunday, I'm pretty sure that's when it aired. It was a much more generic show - no "Design Crimes" - but was still good.
    Here's a link to an article about it.

'HGTV Design Star' Season Finale: And the Winner Is... - TVLine

Sept 19, 2011

Wow, the second episode of Showhouse Showdown was better than the first. I think both the designers, Niles and Quintin were closer in sense of style and using layers, then the two designers in the first episode. What was really a hoot was watching the designers and host together as they watched video of the folks going through their houses and critiquing their designs. This was a tough one as I liked elements from both their foyers. I liked both dining rooms. I didn't like the wallpaper in either powder room and at least Quintin put in some storage for toilet paper and kleenex. Seriously, folks I want there to be extra tissues in case of emergencies. I also keep my hair dryer and other stuff in my powder room so I can get ready there first thing in the morning. I preferred NIles's kitchen and was sorta split on the great rooms/living rooms. I loved the molding and paint effects and sense of space in Niles room but liked the fireplace in Quinton's room and the fact he showed more of the hardwood floors. Both designers were very articulate and really explain why they are picking what they are picking and explain the design concepts behind the choices. Liked each designer had $40,000 to spend on 5 rooms and it is amazing what they did with it.

I haven't been able to find Showhouse Showdown online. Not on Youtube nor on HGTV's web site. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. I really want to see it after hearing Bearcata write about it.

FYI:

Local homes will be the stars of HGTV's 'Showhouse Showcase' | YourCranberry.com

Local homes will be the stars of HGTV's 'Showhouse Showcase'

|
    by Dona Dreeland Staff Writer
    August 25, 2011

Homes can be the stars of reality TV.

Houses and designers, that is.

On Saturday, area residents will be able to judge the design talents on display inside two Heartland Homes in the Mystic Ridge development in Cranberry Township.

Two designers from Pennsylvania will compete as their individual inspiration becomes reality inside five rooms in each Nantucket II house plan. And HGTV cameras will be rolling as they do.

On Saturday from 1 to 3 p.m., hundreds of visitors will be able to tour both Colonial-style homes, located in both phases of the plan. Perhaps, they'll have a few moments to comment on their favorite rooms as the final episode of "Showhouse Showdown" on this location is taped.

But the first 150 persons who arrive will be able to determine which designer has created a home that any Cranberry resident would truly love. They can register as early as noon.

Kevin Oakley, director of marketing for Heartland Homes, is excited about the project, which will showcase one of their high-end designs.

The HGTV network was looking for a large custom-home builder in the Pittsburgh area, Oakley explained, for the sixth show of a 12-episode season. HGTV also will film in another Heartland location in Oakmont.

"On the surface, we're building two houses at $800,000 each," he said.

Inside, the basic house plan, which can comfortably fit a family of six, will be changed as each designer reflects his/her own special "feel" for the design and décor.

They'll choose floor and wall coverings, color palettes from formal to playful, cabinet styles and appliances to enhance their vision of a suburban dream home with either a patio or back deck.

The designers will plan out the family room, sunroom, master bedroom suite and bath, and kitchen spaces. They also will design a small first-floor room, making it a playroom, den or study.

"We'll do what the designers want to do, as long as it's ‘to code' and safe," Oakley said.

An additional $130,000 will permit the upgrades inside each house, including cupboards, plumbing, etc.

Any item must be purchased from vendors that Heartland uses.

The staff at Heartland has been working with the designers since May, he said, before construction began. At that time, they asked for some special design features to be built in.

"Eighty-five percent of the things, Heartland has never done before," he said.

As the 63rd largest homebuilder in the country, Heartland will catch a bit of a buzz when the show airs, Oakley said,. The company, founded in the South Hills of Pittsburgh more than 25 years ago, is relatively new to the North Hills in the last six or seven.

Oakley estimates that more than 50 hours of preparation time for Heartland went into this 1-hour episode to be hosted by Bob Guiney, formerly of "The Bachelorette " and "The Bachelor."

Also on camera will be Marty Gillespie, son of the founder and Heartland Homes president, as he takes a walk-thru of each of the homes before the crowds arrive.

Visitors will be treated to catering by Panera Bread Company, gourmet cupcakes and beverages. And for transportation between the plan's phases, golf carts will be available for use.

"We're gonna have a party," Oakley said, prepared to welcome hundreds of guests to their brief moment in the spotlight when the program airs this fall.

When the votes are tallied that day, the winning designer will celebrate, too.

+ Reply to Thread