+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: Summer Showdown

Quote Originally Posted by freethinker;3155064;
    I found it pretty hard to believe that out of all the rooms that were supposedly considered for the makeover, the one chosen was the worst. It looked like a pretty average living room to me - not great, but hardly in "dire" need of being redone by designers.
    I am stunned and speechless. That was one of the most wretched living rooms I have EVER seen. It was so horrific I am beyond words! Total trash.

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3154956;
    onei0091: Oh I was just going to post how much I love Divine Design. Almost everything she makes, I love, but I think she is a high end designer and just shows off her work on the show. Also there isn't a time crunch or budget constraints.

Another show that is really good is the one where the designers compete to get the home owners contract (usually three designers) and they present their ideas and the home owners select one. Again, no time constraints and generous budget provided by the home owners. Both shows are on HGTV.

Hmm....I see a trend here. No time constraints + generous budget = great design. Gee, you'd think they'd incorporate that into more of their shows instead of trying to prove that you can make a room great in an hour with $100 (slight exaggeration but you get the idea).
    Yeah, Divine Design is more high end. I'm just surprised that they don't have more shows where you decorate on a budget but try and make things look high end. I'm in the real estate biz, and I try and do 'high end' looks for less. Places like Target and even IKEA have stuff that make it easy to do if you pick and choose the right things and get a bit creative...

The designing on a budget shows - maybe that's the idea behind them - but I never like the finished result. It never looks high end, it always looks knick knacky country or just plain weird. They tend to use a lot of wacky, obnoxious colors and make stuff that looks like my mom or grandma would like. The rooms look better than they did before, but they could do so much better...

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3154893;
    I cannot believe Cynthia Rowley thought that a fireplace tiled with mirrors is something a middle America family with 2 kids and a dog would want in their home. Both designers used white couches. What were they thinking? Kids! Dog! Duh! I also thought that Cynthia Rowley was very design snobbish saying that wooden floors were so boring and surburban. She just insulted her clients. While I do think Cynthia's room would look good in the proper setting it was not designed to the designated family's needs or lifestyle. ....
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, what was Cynthia wearing?! Very unflattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3155275;
    Also, what was Cynthia wearing?! Very unflattering.
    Really short shorts! How old is she, does anyone know? She says the word "like" a lot, sort of unappealing in her age group, or any age group, really.

I just checked out Imdb to see if she was there, and sure enough, she is!

She just turned 50! On July 29th to be exact.

I couldn't figure out what the heck she was wearing, but it was really atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3155589;
    I just checked out Imdb to see if she was there, and sure enough, she is!

She just turned 50! On July 29th to be exact.

I couldn't figure out what the heck she was wearing, but it was really atrocious.
    Those skinny, skinny legs in those shorts and the pigtails ...
    CYA

FORT Newbie

Re: Summer Showdown

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3155018;
    [B]Summer Showdown

The designers are each given 6 hours and a carpenter to redesign the space. The judges last night were Keenan Ivory Wayans of "In Living Color" fame, Sparkle Josh from Season 2 of "Design Star" and Emily Proctor from "CSI - Miami". IMO, a strange and random mixture of judges.
    After the rooms are completed and judged, the family is given a check for $10,000 along with the design plans and the family are on their own as far as getting the room done. Personally, this is the part of the show I don't like. Without the assistance of the design team, I don't think the average family could pull the concept of the room together especially for $10,000. But, other than that, i enjoyed the show and it was interesting to see the judges being judged for a change.

Actually the three Judges were Keenen Ivory Wayans, Josh ‘Sparkle’ Johnson and Beth Littleford.

Emily Procter is scheduled to appear in a later episode.

Beth Littleford does the Laughing Cow cheese commercials!! Have you Laughed Today!

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3155241;
    Yeah, Divine Design is more high end. I'm just surprised that they don't have more shows where you decorate on a budget but try and make things look high end. I'm in the real estate biz, and I try and do 'high end' looks for less. Places like Target and even IKEA have stuff that make it easy to do if you pick and choose the right things and get a bit creative...
    There was a show I used to watch, I can't remember the name but I think it was on HGTV, where the customer would bring in a picture they saw in a designer magazine and the hostess would recreate the designer look on a budget and then they would bring in the original designer of the high end room and have them critique to see how they did reproducing it. It was never exact replicas but close enough that every single time the original designer was impressed. That was a great show and definitely did the high end look for less very well.

Wish I could remember the name! We are beginning a complete remodel of our house and I'm watching even more HGTV to try and get inspiration.

I remember that show too, Harmony....just can't think of its name right now. You are right, it was on HGTV.

Some of the high end designs were extremely pricey. Even some of the cheapo kind were still thousands of dollars when all was said and done.

I know this is going to bug me all day.....trying to think of the name of that show.

I also like Devine Design with Candace Olsen. I always like what she has done to those rooms.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3155619;
    There was a show I used to watch, I can't remember the name but I think it was on HGTV, where the customer would bring in a picture they saw in a designer magazine and the hostess would recreate the designer look on a budget and then they would bring in the original designer of the high end room and have them critique to see how they did reproducing it. It was never exact replicas but close enough that every single time the original designer was impressed. That was a great show and definitely did the high end look for less very well.

Wish I could remember the name! We are beginning a complete remodel of our house and I'm watching even more HGTV to try and get inspiration.
    I think that was Double Take. There is another show that had the designer room set up physically and I can't remember that one.

+ Reply to Thread