+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 82 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I watched a new episode last night of Property Virgins.....I would like to know how a recent college graduate qualifies for $425,000 loan on a house! I understand how he could have come up with the downpayment of $60,000 (his mother had died and maybe inheritance). He still wanted to get a more expensive home, but since he couldn't then he would continue to live off his sister in her basement. Ok I do not know if he pays rent or not, but still.
    Maybe I am not in touch with reality but I know after working for over 30 years, I could not afford a $425,000 home loan.
    Wasn't he a doctor?

One thing I've noticed about Property Virgins is the host does what most realtors don't do - gives them financial advice, like sometimes she tells them outright what to offer. When they start the show she usually phrases it as "the bank says you qualify for $300,000 and you have a $50,000 down payment so your budget is $350K" even when some of them say they don't actually want to spend $350,000 on a house. I've always thought she was a little too pushy on getting people to up their budget so she can show a little better quality house.

In real life, I don't think Realtors care too much whether you offer $25K up or down, their real income is from volume, so if anything they want you to lower your listing to make sure someone will snap it up, or increase your bid for the same reason.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26 View Post
    Wasn't he a doctor?
    The program said he was in a medical field but did not say doing what.(that I can remember) The part that bothered me was he had just finished college and just started a job.
    There's no place like home!

Yeah, Sarah's back with a new series, well new for the US:

Guide | TheFutonCritic.com - The Web's Best Television Resource

SARAH'S SUMMER HOUSE (HGTV)
    [series premiere] 5/7/11 at 8:00 PM
    [regularly airs] saturdays from 8:00 PM-8:30 PM EST
    (from HGTV's web site, April 2011) Sarah Richardson tackles the renovation of her own weekend getaway. Located 17 miles offshore and purchased by her husband as a bachelor shack, this tiny island cottage is completely off the grid with a combination of solar, wind and propane energy. It's rustic, relaxing and at one with the stunning lake scenery. Character, storage and versatility are key as Sarah untangles the renovation processes with tip after tip on how to handle an out-of-town reno without having an out-of-body experience.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm just catching a couple of old episodes of Designers' Challenge on HGTV today. Dated 2006 according to the dvr - I love this show, and it's nice to see Chris Harrison on here. I remember liking him from this show wayyy back when, who knew he'd make it so big??!! Wonder when he quit doing this show?

Anyone watch Property Brothers, it comes on right after Income Property. HGTV had a similar premise several years agos where they showed a couple 3 homes and had an architect show how they could remodel each home to suit them then the couple had to pick one.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Anyone watch Property Brothers, it comes on right after Income Property. HGTV had a similar premise several years agos where they showed a couple 3 homes and had an architect show how they could remodel each home to suit them then the couple had to pick one.
    I watched the first two-thirds of Property Bros and fell asleep (because I was tired, not because it was boring). I liked it and also thought of Hidden Potential - Barry was the architect most of the time, then Paige?

Edited to add: I had recently recommended Hidden Potential to by daughter and her fiance and found the episodes online for them. They're house hunting and are going to have to do something like that (because all they can afford are fixer-uppers).
    Last edited by Kip; 04-28-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I watched the first two-thirds of Property Bros and fell asleep (because I was tired, not because it was boring). I liked it and also thought of Hidden Potential - Barry was the architect most of the time, then Paige?

Edited to add: I had recently recommended Hidden Potential to by daughter and her fiance and found the episodes online for them. They're house hunting and are going to have to do something like that (because all they can afford are fixer-uppers).
    Make sure they have someone check the electrical, and structural stuff.

Sarah's Summer House starts tonight, May 7, 2011 at 8pm.

Looks like Sarah's Summer House was just a one of episode.

+ Reply to Thread