+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 93 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by lcmamom View Post
    I miss the old decorating shows on HGTV like "If Walls Could Talk" and "Designing for the Sexes" there was another his/hers kind of show where they reviewed a scrapbook at the end also. I am not looking to buy or sell my house, but would really appreciate a little help in making it more elegant.
    I haven't watched HGTV shows in a long time. I came by here to see if there was something I was missing. Their programing doesn't interest me anymore and decorating is my creative hobby! I have helped many friends because they love my own decor.

I have many ideas for shows so why can't they come up with something good!?

**** Have a skilled designer (Candice or Nate level) do fabulous decor using Ikea, West Elm and other sources for affordable furniture. Have the focus on modern decor. We have had plenty of shows that featured that overly designed Tuscan look the point of distraction. And overly designed, period. Candice is the guilty party on this one! Some of her work was totally fabulous but most looked over worked.

****The show that had them view different designers work before hiring had a good idea but again, their taste was always the same.

****We need shows with current design trends.

****Bring back Design Star and more reality shows that have designers competing.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    They did one - maybe it was last Fall? Though I didn't catch the whole show, it was interesting to me because, as I mentioned up-thread, one of the guys expressed regret over his choice of home. He wanted a particular neighborhood in Chicago but chose one in a farther-out area where he got more house for the money and regretted it.
    Yes. That was the one I was talking about! He also regretted the big check he had to write each month.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Yes. That was the one I was talking about! He also regretted the big check he had to write each month.
    Now that's something I don't understand. . . did he think someone was going to give him the house for free???? You buy a house/condo -- you pay the mortgage. If you can't afford the house/condo, don't buy it. This guy bought a house in a cheaper neighborhood so he'd get more for his money and he regrets having to pay the mortgage???? Makes no sense.

FORT Fogey

It does if he is not happy with his choice ; writing that mortgage check every moneth reminds him that he are paying for being unhappy because he made a lousy choice

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    It does if he is not happy with his choice ; writing that mortgage check every moneth reminds him that he are paying for being unhappy because he made a lousy choice
    That was the feeling I got. He ended up thinking he was happier (and had more money) when he was renting. Now he was stuck and paying for it.

I watched a new episode last night of Property Virgins.....I would like to know how a recent college graduate qualifies for $425,000 loan on a house! I understand how he could have come up with the downpayment of $60,000 (his mother had died and maybe inheritance). He still wanted to get a more expensive home, but since he couldn't then he would continue to live off his sister in her basement. Ok I do not know if he pays rent or not, but still.
    Maybe I am not in touch with reality but I know after working for over 30 years, I could not afford a $425,000 home loan.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I watched a new episode last night of Property Virgins.....I would like to know how a recent college graduate qualifies for $425,000 loan on a house! I understand how he could have come up with the downpayment of $60,000 (his mother had died and maybe inheritance). He still wanted to get a more expensive home, but since he couldn't then he would continue to live off his sister in her basement. Ok I do not know if he pays rent or not, but still.
    Maybe I am not in touch with reality but I know after working for over 30 years, I could not afford a $425,000 home loan.
    Yep, I hear ya! There lies many of the issues in todays economy... mortgage approvals that shouldn't happen on homes with declining values. Not sure why anyone would want to be house poor or secure a loan for the full approved amount.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I saw this one as well and it probably has to do with a number of factors all centered around the fact that he is located in Toronto, Canada which has VERY different costs of living, mortgage standards and income brackets...some notes:
    -The average home and salary in the Toronto area is more similar to metropolitan cities like Chicago and its (Toronto's) other northern US neighbors.
    -The norm for mortgages is that they actually adjust every few years (this blew my mind) and Canada has a lot of gov't backed programs to help first-timers borrow more money against themselves.
    -Compared to where I live, the income brackets in Toronto are substantially higher for the same job and the "similar" homes are significantly more--but the adjustments usually even out. Of course, everything is based on debt to income ratios and that is all determined by what lines of credit you have and what you owe! For all we know that guy could own his car and have no student loans. Traditionally, however, most buyers are significantly limited by their monthly expenses which range from student loans, new cars and even gas (everything is calculated into the ratios by the bank these days--pity it wasnt before).
    -My inlaw's home is worth (based on comps (one of them just sold down the street)) almost half a million dollars . In my community it would go for about 225k. Of course, my inlaws are "middle class" there and the 225k price point is "middle class" here.

One thing I do wonder is if that guy is paying rent at his sister's apartment--I hope so!

I wonder the same thing. On My First Place, a young couple was shopping for a house in San Francisco -- with a pricetag of over $700,000. Now, even if you earn good money in the tech sector, that's going to be more than $5,000 a month with taxes. There aren't that many incomes that can support that kind of mortgage.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I wonder the same thing. On My First Place, a young couple was shopping for a house in San Francisco -- with a pricetag of over $700,000. Now, even if you earn good money in the tech sector, that's going to be more than $5,000 a month with taxes. There aren't that many incomes that can support that kind of mortgage.
    Exactly.
    And that's why this country is in the crisis it is now.
    Too many people overspend on mortgages.
    When I got my place, the rules were much stricter. No more than 35% of your income could go to housing.
    That hasn't been the case in many years. Sad.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread