+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I would love to see a show with some people from HOUSE HUNTERS and see how they are doing now.
    They did one - maybe it was last Fall? Though I didn't catch the whole show, it was interesting to me because, as I mentioned up-thread, one of the guys expressed regret over his choice of home. He wanted a particular neighborhood in Chicago but chose one in a farther-out area where he got more house for the money and regretted it.

FORT Fogey

I would be more interested in those people who bought huge houses for big money and how they are doing now with the downturn.

FORT Fanatic

I remember a show maybe two years ago where a man bought a weekend place in Las Vegas. I understand that is now one of the worst housing markets in the U.S. It would be 20 minutes of him sobbing about what a lousy decision he made to buy then; too painful to watch.

I would be more interested in those people who bought huge houses for big money and how they are doing now with the downturn.
    No kidding, every now and then you catch a re-run from 2008 or 2007 and the prices and the financing hoops people jumped through are pretty amazing.

I did see one HH not too long ago where a couple who had previously bought a house on HH were searching for another home. But I think they were upsizing.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

They've done the return to...shows on My First Place. I remember4 an episode where they mentioned they had not done enough research before buying, etc. and would not do that again. It was very real, I thought.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150 View Post
    I remember a show maybe two years ago where a man bought a weekend place in Las Vegas. I understand that is now one of the worst housing markets in the U.S. It would be 20 minutes of him sobbing about what a lousy decision he made to buy then; too painful to watch.
    Maybe not. Housing markets are cyclical --- and eventually they usually turn around. As an example, I bought a house in Los Angeles in 1990 hoping to redo it and sell it quickly --- but the market fell, and I had to wait almost ten years for the market to rise enough for me to get my money out with a profit. But the good news for me was, that I was in a position to be able to wait it out, so I did make a profit, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Maybe not. Housing markets are cyclical --- and eventually they usually turn around. As an example, I bought a house in Los Angeles in 1990 hoping to redo it and sell it quickly --- but the market fell, and I had to wait almost ten years for the market to rise enough for me to get my money out with a profit. But the good news for me was, that I was in a position to be able to wait it out, so I did make a profit, eventually.
    I know what you mean. We bought a house at the bottom of the housing market in SoCal. Looked into moving a few years later and would not have gotten much more for it. But a few years after THAT we sold at the very top of the market before it crashed.

FORT Fogey

Both of your experiences were good for you years ago and I am glad that it worked out, but right now everybody who bought in the last few years did so at the top of the market. The people we saw on the shows might have the money to wait it out or not, so that is why a trip back in time to see what was said then and what is being experienced now would make a great "special" HOUSE HUNTERS or MY FIRST PLACE

FORT Newbie

I miss the old decorating shows on HGTV like "If Walls Could Talk" and "Designing for the Sexes" there was another his/hers kind of show where they reviewed a scrapbook at the end also. I am not looking to buy or sell my house, but would really appreciate a little help in making it more elegant.

Both of your experiences were good for you years ago and I am glad that it worked out, but right now everybody who bought in the last few years did so at the top of the market. The people we saw on the shows might have the money to wait it out or not, so that is why a trip back in time to see what was said then and what is being experienced now would make a great "special" HOUSE HUNTERS or MY FIRST PLACE
    Actually, the house we are in now was bought at the top of the market. I remember when there was less than one month's inventory. You wouldn't believe the prices for fixer-upers in a bad location. Good thing we don't need to move now.

But yeah, I would love to see such a special. I think they did one where are they now on a my first place type show. The guy was really sorry he bought in a more suburban place. His mortgage was a lot more than rent and he was far away from the action and his friends.

+ Reply to Thread