+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 87 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Did anybody see the Pumpkin House on Selling NY.
    I remember seeing that house when I was real little. It's in Washington Heights.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I remember seeing that house when I was real little. It's in Washington Heights.
    I missed that ep. I'll need to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I posted upthread about that. I can't believe that the price is comparable to much smaller apartments. The view alone seems worth $3 million.

These shows also make me want to redo my house. Last week I splurged and hired a designer for my bathroom remodel. I have never done that before, and it seemed like an extravagance, but already she's come up with ideas I never would have thought of. Plus she handles the project from beginning to end.

When I remodeled my basement, I was the "general contractor," and ended up making all kinds of stupid mistakes ... like buying a sliding door that opened on the wrong side. (Note: when it says it opens on the left, that's left from the outside. Wha?)

Then I asked the carpenter to build a step from the slider to the sunken room to cover up a 3-inch concrete riser. When I came home, he'd built a 4-inch step -- deep enough to cover the concrete but too shallow to actually step on without turning my foot sideways. I didn't know I had to specify "standard-size step like you see on stairs." I ended up paying another contractor $1,000 to fix the first one's mistakes.

Long story short, I'm crossing my fingers that the money I spend on the designer will end up being cheaper in the long run. And I'll learn a few things too.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I posted upthread about that. I can't believe that the price is comparable to much smaller apartments. The view alone seems worth $3 million.

These shows also make me want to redo my house. Last week I splurged and hired a designer for my bathroom remodel. I have never done that before, and it seemed like an extravagance, but already she's come up with ideas I never would have thought of. Plus she handles the project from beginning to end.

When I remodeled my basement, I was the "general contractor," and ended up making all kinds of stupid mistakes ... like buying a sliding door that opened on the wrong side. (Note: when it says it opens on the left, that's left from the outside. Wha?)

Then I asked the carpenter to build a step from the slider to the sunken room to cover up a 3-inch concrete riser. When I came home, he'd built a 4-inch step -- deep enough to cover the concrete but too shallow to actually step on without turning my foot sideways. I didn't know I had to specify "standard-size step like you see on stairs." I ended up paying another contractor $1,000 to fix the first one's mistakes.

Long story short, I'm crossing my fingers that the money I spend on the designer will end up being cheaper in the long run. And I'll learn a few things too.
    I've heard that, unless you are VERY experienced, it is a good idea to hire someone for that role. I'm sure it will be money well spent. And you have to figure your time into it, as well as the stress.

And hey...if the contractor screws you over, email Mike Holmes...well, if in Canada, anyway. He's only done two special request homes in the states that I know of - New Orleans and Pasadena.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'd love a Mike Holmes re-do ... maybe he can find some terribly wrong in my kitchen, too.

Speaking of New York real estate, for only $700, you can get a 90-square-foot studio!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'd love a Mike Holmes re-do ... maybe he can find some terribly wrong in my kitchen, too.

Speaking of New York real estate, for only $700, you can get a 90-square-foot studio!
    Wow, the location is fabulous and so is the rent but my word, is it small!!! I like the idea of using the ceiling height for a loft bed but she can't even sit up in bed. I am claustrophobic by nature but kudos to her if she can make it work!

For a single person, I like it. She has other expenses (a studio for her work as well), but it works. It would be even less crowded if she didn't do her artwork there as well.

That studio is very impressive. She actually makes it look fine. It reminds me of someone I knew in college who was living in a walk-in closet and paying a tiny rent, but even there she would have had access to a full kitchen. That tiny place was quite a feat of organization.

It looks like I can admit this now, but I was a finalist on a kitchen makeover show and found out about a month ago that we didn't make it. It wasn't going to be on HGTV, it was for A&E and they gave you an IKEA kitchen that had been designed by a chef that you admire that lives near you. I had nominated my sister-in-law and she had a good story, but we didn't make the final cut and I am so bummed! They were looking for people who are frustrated because they love to cook but don't like their kitchen. My SIL bought a fixer-upper last year and her kitchen is really large with good bones, but it literally has not been updated since it was installed 60 years ago. It has some crazy things like linoleum counters and teeny tiny shelves that are exactly one tin can tall. Oh, well.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Cool story, Hepcat! Sorry you guys didn't make the final cut, though.

+ Reply to Thread