+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

I did laugh to read your comments about the mantra of "granite counter tops," "stainless steel appliances", "en suite bathroom with jetted or garden tub and double sinks" and of course the ubiquitous "open concept". It must be the generation thing that these kids have always had to have what their friends had or what was advertised as "in". The granite has to be sealed regularly, the ss show fingerprints and grease marks harshly and the open concept forces you to cook and converse at the same time....maybe a good thing, but usually when you have dinner guests, you just need to hunker into that kitchen and bring it all together with no distractions. The horrified looks of some of their faces when they see something that is not on the list
    is just too funny....and never mind wallpaper or bright colors

FORT Fanatic

I also am amazed at how demanding some of these young buyers are. They want this, they want that. One recent show had a young couple buying a first home at the age of 25. They don't say much about what type of work the people do.

I saw a family from the southwest U.S. visiting Costa Rica several times and the father decided he wanted to buy a house there NOW - while they were still there on vacation! Apparently he paid cash for a house worth about $1M and moved in a few days later.

I find it funny that when the film crew returns for a follow-up, the family always says they got the perfect house for themselves. Wonder if that is true or if they just decided to accept the imperfections.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Do any of you New Yorkers know where the pumpkin house featured in the last "Selling New York" is located? I couldn't tell if it was Manhattan or some outer borough.
    It overlooked the river and Riverside Drive, so I thought it was in Manhattan.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150 View Post
    I also am amazed at how demanding some of these young buyers are. They want this, they want that. One recent show had a young couple buying a first home at the age of 25. They don't say much about what type of work the people do.

I saw a family from the southwest U.S. visiting Costa Rica several times and the father decided he wanted to buy a house there NOW - while they were still there on vacation! Apparently he paid cash for a house worth about $1M and moved in a few days later.

I find it funny that when the film crew returns for a follow-up, the family always says they got the perfect house for themselves. Wonder if that is true or if they just decided to accept the imperfections.
    If I'm not mistaken, last year they did a retrospective on some of the "House Hunters." I didn't see anything but the end but I remember that what I did see was a guy in Chicago who regretted his choice. He wanted to be in a hot area but picked a better buy in a more conservative location and felt he made the wrong choice.

FORT Fogey

I also wonder with the market down, how some of these young people are faring with the huge mortgage payments. Some of the houses were very expensive for a first house.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It overlooked the river and Riverside Drive, so I thought it was in Manhattan.
    Turns out it's way up by the George Washington Bridge (the Riverside Drive place was the one he was thinking of buying), but still in Manhattan.

Who Lives There - A Face in the Crowd - NYTimes.com

The guy cracks me up. "“I guess if you’ve had enough Quaaludes,” he said, “it might look like a pumpkin.”
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

What I find interesting and rather confusing is that when you sell your home you are supposed to declutter, depersonalize and neutralize your home and yet many time in house hunters couples go through a home and go, it's so beige. Gosh, darn, home sellers that don't have mental telepathy and precognition so they can have in their homes what the buyer really wants. Also in older homes their is not necessarily an en suite bathroom or it is so small. Get a grip people. I don't always like how some of these hosts like to cram down our throats how we can't envision a space without staging or how we can't do it with a home owners items. Believe me I don't have that problem. To me space is very important and that is what is a priority with me not someone else's furniture. That and to make sure the property is clean and well maintained.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have really detested the last few seasons of Design Star and can't stand Antonio and wasn't very impressed with Emily of Secrets of a Stylist. In one way I do appreciate what Emily is creating and what she is creating is way better then anything I have seen her do on Design Star. I finally figured out what bothers me so much about her. It is her high pitched whinny voice. I don't think she has acquired her TV voice. She always sounds frantic and rushed and it really annoys me. David on Color Splash took a year or so to be comfortable on TV but now in his third (?) season you can really hear how relaxed he is in front of the camera.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I don't always like how some of these hosts like to cram down our throats how we can't envision a space without staging or how we can't do it with a home owners items. Believe me I don't have that problem. To me space is very important and that is what is a priority with me not someone else's furniture.
    I feel the same way. The cynic in me wonders if it's merely a promotional tool for stagers. To me, a space looks smaller when it's stuffed with furniture.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Sometimes the staging gives me the opposite impression, like when they throw a tiny bistro table in a corner and that's your "eat-in kitchen" and you can't help but think how useless that is for anyone who's not living alone, or when they stage a room with a twin bed to fool the eye. To me it hammers home that the space will only look good if you never put anything bigger in the room, and most of us have bigger beds, dressers, etc.

I remember looking at a place online once that looked like it had a huge master bedroom with a king bed in the picture. When I saw it in person, I knew what they did. For the picture, they had a double bed but they put it sideways against the wall but put the pillows and blankets sideways as well so that the length of the bed looked like the width. In reality, that room would never have fit a king bed. What's the point? It didn't trick me into buying the place.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread