+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 93 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I find it amusing how some of these families/couples buy a home in countries that are not very safe and to which kidnapping of Americans is quite common. I'm not sure I would want to be living there in my house, secluded from other people, even if I had a lovely view. I'm referring to the central and south American countries. I'm sure the locals are great people, but IMO it would be scary, not relaxing.

I'm amazed at how many buyers are so picky about their demands. This is understandable if you have no price point, but when you want a roomy house in a prime location, for under $150,000.00, how can you be so picky about the size of the closets and bathrooms.

I also don't undertand buyers who want to live in the city, near all the great night spots to walk to, but complain it's too noisy on the balcony. What?

And if I hear any more whining over the lack of granite counter tops....Please.

I have a question. Since EVERYBODY hates popcorn ceilings, why do the builders keep putting them up. I know they do, because they appear in new homes. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I find it amusing how some of these families/couples buy a home in countries that are not very safe and to which kidnapping of Americans is quite common. I'm not sure I would want to be living there in my house, secluded from other people, even if I had a lovely view. I'm referring to the central and south American countries. I'm sure the locals are great people, but IMO it would be scary, not relaxing.

I'm amazed at how many buyers are so picky about their demands. This is understandable if you have no price point, but when you want a roomy house in a prime location, for under $150,000.00, how can you be so picky about the size of the closets and bathrooms.

I also don't undertand buyers who want to live in the city, near all the great night spots to walk to, but complain it's too noisy on the balcony. What?

And if I hear any more whining over the lack of granite counter tops....Please.

I have a question. Since EVERYBODY hates popcorn ceilings, why do the builders keep putting them up. I know they do, because they appear in new homes. Why?
    Lack of skilled workers who can tape drywall properly and know how to mud the tape so it looks smooth. Popcorn is fast and inexpensive and easy to do.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Lack of skilled workers who can tape drywall properly and know how to mud the tape so it looks smooth. Popcorn is fast and inexpensive and easy to do.

Okay, that makes sense. Maybe they should make it illegal or something. LOL
    Moontat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. Maybe they should make it illegal or something. LOL
    : shrug : How many times do you really look at your ceiling? But my tastes have changed. When I bought my house I thought I would love to replace the countertops with quartz. Fast forward 5 years and I still have the same ones. In fact, my house feels a bit big and almost fancy for me now. (It is a subdivision house and was not bought new).

When we bought there was something like 1 months inventory on the market (it was at the very top of the housing market) and there were not many options out there. This was the right house for then, but I kind of wish I would have not gotten stars in my eyes and gotten a bit of a fixer with a larger backyard.

That's what I see with some of the younger buyers. Stars in their eyes and expecting to get their parents' house right away. I read an article that said people watching so many of the housing shows and passing up great buys because they think they can get matching stainless and granite countertops at a $200,000 starter-home level. Heck, they feel that those are the bare MINIMUM requirements for a house or condo.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Sparkle Josh (Design Star 3 (Nashville show) contestant) was in the audience at a Nashville Auction House. I was watching Cash In The Attic and the camera panned the crowd and there he was! I think the cameraman or producer recognized him or he went over to say HI to them because they went back to him twice more. He looks the same with the long blond hair and the open sparkly shirt. Anyway, that was a fun find.

I enjoy watching the million dollar home shows whether foreign or domestic because they are a fantasy and I get to visit places I could never go and see views from porches I would never see. I empathize with those just starting out with 100k budgets even though they are rich to me...but it is interesting to see what I would consider a rundown 45k house selling for 150k. *sigh*

Oh - Emily - I have her on DVR series record, but I could only take 5 min of her voice and presentation before I turned it off. I did however turn on the last 10 min to see what she did and was not impressed with how she melded different couple styles at all. I agree - snooze.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Sparkle Josh (Design Star 3 (Nashville show) contestant) was in the audience at a Nashville Auction House. I was watching Cash In The Attic and the camera panned the crowd and there he was! I think the cameraman or producer recognized him or he went over to say HI to them because they went back to him twice more. He looks the same with the long blond hair and the open sparkly shirt. Anyway, that was a fun find.

Oh - Emily - I have her on DVR series record, but I could only take 5 min of her voice and presentation before I turned it off. I did however turn on the last 10 min to see what she did and was not impressed with how she melded different couple styles at all. I agree - snooze.
    Nice catch on Sparkle Josh! I enjoy shows like Cash In The Attic but didn't realize it was still on (I have been watching Cash and Cari or however it is spelled).

And I agree on Emily. I tried to watch the show and just could not.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post

That's what I see with some of the younger buyers. Stars in their eyes and expecting to get their parents' house right away. I read an article that said people watching so many of the housing shows and passing up great buys because they think they can get matching stainless and granite countertops at a $200,000 starter-home level. Heck, they feel that those are the bare MINIMUM requirements for a house or condo.

This is a big pet peeve of mine too. Living here in the suburbs outside of NYC, it's rare to even get a home of that size, let alone at such a bargain price. Lack of space and population density find many houses in my area situated on 50 x 100 foot plots. I am amazed that right off the bat these young couples or first time home buyers are looking for a minimum of 2,000 square feet. That's considered huge to many. My first home 28 years ago was in one of the city boroughs. Sat on a 40 x 100 property and approximately 1200 square feet. 3 bedrooms, kitchen, dr, lr, and one bath. None of this "en suite" bathrooms which these couples considered a must nor did it have an "open concept" floor plan or family room. After a move to the suburbs and 25 years into my marriage we finally did a renovation which gave me my dream house: larger bedrooms, en suite bath, added family room and front porch. And for the record, although my kitchen is huge, I still don't have granite kitchen countertops nor do I have any walk-in closets. These young couples want the perfect house and instant gratification. Sheesh!

Me too for thinking these new home buyers are being ridiculous with want they want in their homes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I am also amazed at how many buyers want a huge back yard. I grew up with very large yards, front, side, and back. I dont think they understand that it requires a lot of maintaince. Unless you can afford to hire people to do it, you can count on speading a fair amount of time cutting grass, every week in warm climates. Then there's the leaves, plants, shrub trimming, etc.

Do any of you New Yorkers know where the pumpkin house featured in the last "Selling New York" is located? I couldn't tell if it was Manhattan or some outer borough.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread