+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

That was the first Vern room that I didn't like. I'm usually always amazed by his work but his design just did not work for me. I didn't like the colors or that striped fabric and it just seemed way too crowded and over-decorated. He usually does such sleek, beautiful rooms and this seemed to be the total opposite of that.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

Vern- Every aspect of Vern's style, that I don't like, was present. It was tightly engineered with no whimsy or original flair. He has used those butterflies before and to excess. His style of making large blocks of small art, like the fireplace, makes a room busy and "decorated". Game tables are useless; dinning room tables are good for board games and cards. Unless your house is huge and includes a game room, why bother? It also only had 3 chairs. It appeared to be a way to fill a corner without building something. Again with the family photos, ugh. Family photos are more appropriately placed in a bedroom or hall gallery. His rooms are typically heavy with color and decor; this was no exception. I abhor laminate flooring. A big thumbs down for me.

Cynthia- I didn't care for this room in entirety but I appreciated a lot of aspects. I would love to see what she could do without the harness of time and format. I loved the white walls, mirrored tile, open airy feel and the black and white curtains. In general she did not over decorate and had a point of view that I appreciated.

Having a family with an ugly room involved is disappointing. They will aim to please those with no design sense and it will be limiting. We already have Deserving Design and that mess Ty hosts. I would rather see them create a room for a young artist, bachelor or single woman, anyone who desires cutting edge style without children to accomodate.

Still, I enjoyed this show and I am eagerly looking forward to the rest of this short run.

It's a tad hypocritical for HGTV to use the butterflies, considering Discovery Channel owns both this and Animal Planet. AP is all about saving animals and here Vern uses butterflies killed for decoration purposes! I was so disappointed with the network and with Vern.

Both rooms were a mess. I wouldn't want either one. Those mirror panels will reflect every bit of sunshine coming through the sliding glass door. I can just see the entire family wearing sunglasses all day long.

The only thing I liked about Vern's room is that he remembered the dog's "home" although the table could have been a bit smaller.

Next week's Summer Showdown looks interesting. I hope Sparkle Josh is a regular judge. It would be fun to see Will again, too, as a judge.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

I cannot believe Cynthia Rowley thought that a fireplace tiled with mirrors is something a middle America family with 2 kids and a dog would want in their home. Both designers used white couches. What were they thinking? Kids! Dog! Duh! I also thought that Cynthia Rowley was very design snobbish saying that wooden floors were so boring and surburban. She just insulted her clients. While I do think Cynthia's room would look good in the proper setting it was not designed to the designated family's needs or lifestyle.

I am glad that the got $10,000 redo their family room. Will that be enough to fix their room? I am not sure. Adding french door is a good idea. Adding wooden floors is a good idea. Either remove the paneling or cover it with hardboard or the very thin kind of dry wall. Box the fireplace in. Add a really nice manel and maybe some nice tile for the surround and hearth. Can that be all done for $10,000. I am thinking not, the floors, walls and door yes. Getting some nice microsuede fabric sectionals would be a huge improvement over the plaid sofa and chairs, but again I don't think they can do that all for the money given.

To save space I would have put the flat screen tv over the mantel on the fireplace that makes more sense instead of the corner wall like Vern did or that tiny screen that Cynthia used.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It surprises me that most of the designs on the HGTV shows are not anything I would want in my own house. ESPECIALLY on the 'design on a budget' shows like Decorating Cents and Design on a Dime. Some of that stuff is really reaching and just looks tacky.

There is a show (is it on HGTV? Maybe not...?) where they do consistently cool stuff - Devine Design with Candice Olson. I like what she does most of the time.

onei0091: Oh I was just going to post how much I love Divine Design. Almost everything she makes, I love, but I think she is a high end designer and just shows off her work on the show. Also there isn't a time crunch or budget constraints.

Another show that is really good is the one where the designers compete to get the home owners contract (usually three designers) and they present their ideas and the home owners select one. Again, no time constraints and generous budget provided by the home owners. Both shows are on HGTV.

Hmm....I see a trend here. No time constraints + generous budget = great design. Gee, you'd think they'd incorporate that into more of their shows instead of trying to prove that you can make a room great in an hour with $100 (slight exaggeration but you get the idea).

Summer Showdown

Summer Showdown
    About the Show

"It's our newest design event four one-hour specials that have HGTV's top talent going head-to-head against each other in a race against the clock to make over rooms in dire need of an overhaul. We scoured America to find homeowners with rooms they felt qualified and then exact replicas of these rooms are created and placed side-by-side in the Designer Dome the mega HGTV design arena. For each challenge, the two teams must redesign the rooms, and then a panel of celebrity judges selects the best makeover. The homeowner who submitted that room gets cash to do the room themselves."

Vern Yip verses Cynthia Rowley

The designers are each given 6 hours and a carpenter to redesign the space. The judges last night were Keenan Ivory Wayans of "In Living Color" fame, Sparkle Josh from Season 2 of "Design Star" and Emily Proctor from "CSI - Miami". IMO, a strange and random mixture of judges.
    After the rooms are completed and judged, the family is given a check for $10,000 along with the design plans and the family are on their own as far as getting the room done. Personally, this is the part of the show I don't like. Without the assistance of the design team, I don't think the average family could pull the concept of the room together especially for $10,000. But, other than that, i enjoyed the show and it was interesting to see the judges being judged for a change.

Re: Summer Showdown

I found it pretty hard to believe that out of all the rooms that were supposedly considered for the makeover, the one chosen was the worst. It looked like a pretty average living room to me - not great, but hardly in "dire" need of being redone by designers.

I thought the show's overall concept was interesting, but really thought they could do much better as far as "judges," and I totally agree that expecting a family to be able to re-create the design without assistance and with only $10,000 is pretty ludicrous.

I don't think I'll be watching this again.
    Love lives forever <3

Well, I watched it but missed the ending...who won?

Vern's design won, but the judges all commented that the room was a bit cluttered. The only thing I didn't like about Cynthia's was that she painted the floor. Not very practical....IMO.

+ Reply to Thread