+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 97 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4129959;
    You're right. It was Hilde that did the straw and the wine labels. But Gen did do the moss and some other obnoxious stuff. I liked the red-headed Laurie and also Frank on Trading Spaces. I quit watching when they got rid of Paige.
    I feel as though I sound like a crotchety old woman who likes the old stuff, but some of the older shows and personalities they had on HGTV were favorites. Carol Duval, Joan Steffend and the gardener guy were really good. I think they've OD'd on real estates shows. I like Sabrina Soto and Mike Aubrey's show as well as Sophie Alsop's (is it even going to be on anymore?) but almost every show now is real estate. I like House Hunters, as much as the next person but SHEESH! Can't they do a show about anything else? Fist Time Home Buyers. Property Virgins, First Time Home Sellers, Real Estate Intervention and so on...
    Hilde was also the one that attached the furniture to the ceiling in one episode!!
    She was always strange and never cared what pleased the homeowners. I wasn't too crazy about Gen but watching her on that Design reality show, where the winner gets their own show, made me like her less. The same for Vern. They both came off as rather snooty.
    But loved Trading Spaces. Wished it was still on. But they need Paige, she's perfect for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4130544;
    The ponytail guy was Edward. I think he and Frank were both from North Carolina (I liked them both). Hated Hilde - it seemed like she always came with some wacky design in mind before she even met the family and just went ahead and did what she wanted, even if it didn't match the family's taste (I don't know many people who would want dishes, glassware and silverware glued to their living room ceiling).

I didn't like Barry much on this show (but think he's great on that show where he shows what 3 houses would like remodeled). Agree that Doug's designs usually fell flat and liked Laurie's.

We didn't have cable in the early years of the show, so I saw only the last few years. I liked it - the families' interactions with the designers and carpenters made it more interesting that the average design show where the designer goes in and does his or her stuff.
    Could've sworn they both talked about being from TX at different times on air. No matter, they were my favorites along with Laurie.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Laurie was from Texas? For some reason, I thought she was from Alabama. Go figure!
    Vern and Hilde were BOTH from Atlanta, but don't reflect Southern style. Exept for the "downtown" and Buckhead areas, Georgia tends to be more traditional than most of the country.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Nanarama, I could be mistaken but I thought Laurie was from Tennessee.

I was referring to Frank and Edward when I said "both of them." Laurie is from somewhere in the deep south but I can't remember if it is Mississippi or Tennessee.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Boy did we get off topic. I do miss Trading Spaces, though.

When it was good it was great but when it was bad it sucked.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

When it was good, you got great reactions from the homeowners - good or bad. I did feel sorry for some of these people. Most of the time the designs were not practical and made with how the homeowners lived in mind.

Anybody seen the HGTV Dream Home Special? It's in Stowe VT this year and looks spectacular. I'm entering!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4138157;
    Anybody seen the HGTV Dream Home Special? It's in Stowe VT this year and looks spectacular. I'm entering!
    I didn't see the special but thanks for the reminder. I just entered the sweepstakes right now. You can enter twice daily... once at HGTV.com and once at FrontDoor.com

One can always dream....

+ Reply to Thread