+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227228229230231232233234235236237238239240 LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2400
Like Tree1445Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

Last 5 days to enter for a chance at a dream home in the Pacific Northwest.

HGTV Dream Home 2018 | HGTV Dream Home 2018 | HGTV

I got a trial of Hulu Live in order to watch the Olympics, and HGTV is also part of the package, so I've been watching the new season of Fixer Upper. I just saw episode 4 with that adorable Tudor, and I'm so in love with every single thing they did. Initially, I was not a fan of the idea of that tile "rug" in the bathroom. It broke my heart to think of cutting into those original wood floors, but I have to admit that I liked the final effect. I also loved that they widened the dining room doors into wider archways and carried the style of the other arches over. I loved those big antique doors that went into the butler's pantry and the black and white tile floors. And bringing back the porch! The whole thing showed so much good taste and fine craftsmanship.

While the houses they do are always pretty, Joanna's style isn't really the same as mine. I can appreciate the work, but I'm usually not gaga over the houses. But I love, love, loved this one. I would move into that in a split second if I had the money and it weren't in Waco, Texas. Nothing against Waco. I just don't know anyone there.

Oh. There was one thing they did that I didn't like. There was absolutely no reason to put beams on the living room ceiling. I don't know why she thinks she has to do that to every single house she touches.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 02-13-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post

Oh. There was one thing they did that I didn't like. There was absolutely no reason to put beams on the living room ceiling. I don't know why she thinks she has to do that to every single house she touches.
    That's how I feel about her and putting quotes, etc, on the walls. If I ever used her I would beg her not to put words or even initials on the wall. I hate that.
    Miss_Griss and Photobabe like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    That's how I feel about her and putting quotes, etc, on the walls. If I ever used her I would beg her not to put words or even initials on the wall. I hate that.
    She does ask her clients about the beams so it is their choice to have it or not.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Home Town - moving grandma's house.

The couple got the house for free and the land for free but had to pay for the move and renovations.

What concerned me was after the house was on the new site you could see that is was held up on cinder blocks. All the footings were about 4 cinder blocks stacked one on top of each other but on their side, no mortar or anything and all I could think of was "that was it for the footings"? Just too easy to knock the house over. Since the house was so old all the plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling had to be updated as well as the septic tank unless the lot was on a sewer line. It looked as if they were just fixing a house on stilts. I was shocked they did not address how unlevel the floors were until they were putting in the kitchen cabinets. What was another concern is that they keep the original windows (leaky) and removed the vinyl siding as well as the insulation. So the house has the same insulation value as it did in 1937? I guess heat and ac must be really cheap in old Miss, I certainly would not want to see their bills. At least the paint job looked decent and not awful as it has on previous episodes where it looked as if they just painted over old peeling paint. No questions about lead paint? I liked the kitchen but the dining room wall colors looked odd, kinda dirty or maybe it was just because it was an interior room with very little natural light. I do wish that they had kept the shiplap in the main living room as it looked in better condition and drywalled the dining room wall. They could have left the bead board on the ceiling though. Overall the finished product looked amazing at least from the outside, as did the kitchen, living room, and little girls room. Weren't there only two bedrooms in this house? What if they have more kids?

Kao

I think the paint looked that way in the dining room because it was poorly lit. No windows, and I think only one light? Loved the kitchen. The red floor was sorely needed to break up all that white, and I liked the idea of the plate boxes in the windows. The living room looked comfty and airy, and I liked the bench Ben made. And the bedroom nook was great.

I too had concerns about the footings, and I hope it was something that got addressed at a later date.

No Fixer Upper for me tonight. I peaced out the minute Jo announced this episode was about building a garden and a chicken shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I think the paint looked that way in the dining room because it was poorly lit. No windows, and I think only one light? Loved the kitchen. The red floor was sorely needed to break up all that white, and I liked the idea of the plate boxes in the windows. The living room looked comfty and airy, and I liked the bench Ben made. And the bedroom nook was great.

I too had concerns about the footings, and I hope it was something that got addressed at a later date.

No Fixer Upper for me tonight. I peaced out the minute Jo announced this episode was about building a garden and a chicken shack.
    Pretty good episode this was filmed over a period of time probably from last spring through the summer. I would luv to have a garden shed like that, and that crazy grasshopper killing chicken run unusual. I wonder if it really works?

I opted to watch the Olympics over Fixer Upper last night, partly because I seen in previews that they were doing something on their farm. I am sure it will be re-run a dozen times over the next few months.
    One thing they do A LOT is place white or off white furniture in homes with children. This always bugs the heck out of me. I know it is just for staging, but seriously, who here would dare have a white sofa with youngsters running about? Perhaps my 54 years on this planet has dulled my sense of style because I am less into trends than I am practical living. In fact, we are nearly finished with our new home build and everything we have chosen - cabinets, flooring, tile, paint - was all done for us & the way we want things to look and feel. Our builder, the tile store, the paint store, all asked us a number of times if we were "sure you don't want to go with gray and white?". Nope - no gray for us. Save it for the younger generation.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Pretty good episode this was filmed over a period of time probably from last spring through the summer. I would luv to have a garden shed like that, and that crazy grasshopper killing chicken run unusual. I wonder if it really works?
    I can only speak for my chickens, but yes, they will go after any bug stupid enough to get into my backyard. I used to have a grasshopper problem too (I had a Meyer lemon tree they obliterated, along with many other things)...no more!

That garden "shed" makes mine look like a doghouse. I think I'd be happy living in her so-called shed.

The garden did look really nice once it grew in, and it was cute to see the kids out there. I didn't mind them veering away from the usual house re-do for one episode.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Checked out Joanna's garden shed one more time and it is such a sweet little cottage. Luv'ed the utility sink, would luv to have one like that in my basement next to the washer and dryer. The garden is huge but if they eat from it daily it has everything that you need in it. Hope Joanna cans the stuff or sells some of the produce at the Silos. It is so nice to see the Gaines interacting with their kids, really selling the family live, kids that say yes sir, no sir, and do chores without attitude and no cell phones. You feel that the parents really connect with the kids and I can see them wanting to enjoy the kids next 5 to 8 years without fame ripping the family apart.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-14-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    waywyrd likes this.

+ Reply to Thread