+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1445Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Flip or Flop Nashville premiered to night. It was better than Restored by the Fords. But not by much. Come on if you are flipping a house take and doing some landscaping at least remove some of the gravel off the side of the driveway buy some dirt and throw some grass seed and hay down. I hate it when it looks half assed like that it speaks of cheap and shoddy workmanship to me. Was very surprised they did not take down the wall between the kitchen and living room it would have made the place look huge. The kitchen did look nice.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Was very surprised they did not take down the wall between the kitchen and living room it would have made the place look huge.
    Yes! I don't know why they didn't blow that wall out. And the exterior looked awful. Plus I hate pretty much every garage conversion, so I wasn't impressed with that one...the window sitting so low looked silly.

Not a good first impression.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Yes! I don't know why they didn't blow that wall out. And the exterior looked awful. Plus I hate pretty much every garage conversion, so I wasn't impressed with that one...the window sitting so low looked silly.

Not a good first impression.
    Yeah, didn't look good, I prefer a garage.

Northwest Revival - another young couple who flip houses in the Pacific Northwest. Wow, liked this couple both are very easy and natural on the camera. Loved that the wife is a designer and helped with the demo, re-planning the bathroom and does some of the finish work.
    Miss_Griss and woodiedog like this.

Chip's hair

I guess I thought he was going through a mid-life crisis--the reason for the greasy hair. But he could just be stressed by the end of Fixer Upper. Something as successful like that would be hard to say goodbye to. One might not be sure if there was a second tv chance.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Article about Chip shaving his hair off for charity.

Chip Gaines Shaves Off His Signature Long Hair | PEOPLE.com
    waywyrd and Bearcata like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Home Town was on last night and they renovated the Rutledge House. I really liked what they did. I do wonder though if the sunroom was included in the 2100 sq ft of the property as they lost that. In the initial viewing of the house the porch does not look that big but during the reveal I was blown away about how much space they had on that front porch. The more and more I watch these shows the more and more I like a big front porch much better than a back deck. I really liked that they kept the integrity of the home and did not blow away all the wall for an open concept. I like that they kept the living room and dining room. What amazes is restoring the sunroom back to a front porch enables the homeowner to use the french doors in the living to open to the outside and this was not an add on it was simply a feature of the house that was not used well before. Opening the kitchen to the dining room was good and the kitchen was breathtaking. It totally transforms the home yet is very traditional in style. I liked the dark grey of the cabinets and was surprised what a difference white counter tops make. I did think the wallpaper backsplash was a wacky idea but that little pop of color, texture and design really makes the kitchen pop.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Home Town was on last night and they renovated the Rutledge House. I really liked what they did. I do wonder though if the sunroom was included in the 2100 sq ft of the property as they lost that. In the initial viewing of the house the porch does not look that big but during the reveal I was blown away about how much space they had on that front porch. The more and more I watch these shows the more and more I like a big front porch much better than a back deck. I really liked that they kept the integrity of the home and did not blow away all the wall for an open concept. I like that they kept the living room and dining room. What amazes is restoring the sunroom back to a front porch enables the homeowner to use the french doors in the living to open to the outside and this was not an add on it was simply a feature of the house that was not used well before. Opening the kitchen to the dining room was good and the kitchen was breathtaking. It totally transforms the home yet is very traditional in style. I liked the dark grey of the cabinets and was surprised what a difference white counter tops make. I did think the wallpaper backsplash was a wacky idea but that little pop of color, texture and design really makes the kitchen pop.
    I loved what they did to the house as well. The open porch was really lovely and I did like that they did retain most of the designated rooms, allowing for the dining room opening to the kitchen was the exception but a good choice. I just did not like the wallpaper backsplash. Not that I did not like the pop of color, as you said, but I think any wallpaper would not make for a good backsplash. Is it even scrubbable? Normally I don't care for painted cupboards but I did like the darker grey they chose. I was amazed at the buffet that the husband (still can't remember his name) built out of the original casings and windows he removed from the enclosed sunporch. One little nit pick is he left some of the paint on the door framework. I know a lot of folks don't mind a bit of distress but I am not a fan. He did the same thing with the linen closet he made using the removed windows as a door to the closet. I liked the dark color of the linen closet but felt it was way too small. There did not seem to be much room for a larger one next to the bath vanity and I'm not sure there was another space for it. But that is just a small nit pick. I love the soaring ceilings and the architecture of the house and still cannot believe the home prices, including renovation, in this part of Mississippi!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I loved what they did to the house as well. The open porch was really lovely and I did like that they did retain most of the designated rooms, allowing for the dining room opening to the kitchen was the exception but a good choice. I just did not like the wallpaper backsplash. Not that I did not like the pop of color, as you said, but I think any wallpaper would not make for a good backsplash. Is it even scrubbable? Normally I don't care for painted cupboards but I did like the darker grey they chose. I was amazed at the buffet that the husband (still can't remember his name) built out of the original casings and windows he removed from the enclosed sunporch. One little nit pick is he left some of the paint on the door framework. I know a lot of folks don't mind a bit of distress but I am not a fan. He did the same thing with the linen closet he made using the removed windows as a door to the closet. I liked the dark color of the linen closet but felt it was way too small. There did not seem to be much room for a larger one next to the bath vanity and I'm not sure there was another space for it. But that is just a small nit pick. I love the soaring ceilings and the architecture of the house and still cannot believe the home prices, including renovation, in this part of Mississippi!
    Erin, noted that it was a scrubbable wallpaper otherwise it would not have been a good choice of material, still luv'ing the color. Amazing what a little pop of color does for a room.

Ben said something about it being too hard to get out that bit of paint, but I too share your dislike of distressed furniture, I don't mind it all all if they strip all the paint, stain, or varnish off and leave it au naturel or paint it a lovely unexpected color, but the half and half mess of distress just stresses me.

Kao

I loved that wallpaper made out of a woodblock print. That sort of printing is currently experiencing a revival of sorts, so I was glad to see it on the show. The color Erin picked for the print really popped in that dark kitchen too. I don't mind distressed wood so I thought the buffet and bathroom linen closet looked great. Ben's furniture always feels like it were made with the architecture of the house in mind. At first, I was on the fence about the porch but they really did make it look bigger and better than it was before, and Ben reused those beautiful windows so all was well. Those huge, beautiful doors leading out to the porch reminded me so much of New Orleans! I'm really glad that the homeowners picked architecture over the cheap price of the other house. It really looked wonderful when they were done.

+ Reply to Thread