+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1438Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

Haven't seen Restored by the Fords yet nor the new Flip or Flop Nashville but the commercial for the new Flip or Flop made me giggle. The female host's name is, I kid you not, "Page Turner." Why would anyone do that to their child? And not even spelled with the 'i' as in Paige. Anywho, I'm about done with the Flip or Flop shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Haven't seen Restored by the Fords yet nor the new Flip or Flop Nashville but the commercial for the new Flip or Flop made me giggle. The female host's name is, I kid you not, "Page Turner." Why would anyone do that to their child? And not even spelled with the 'i' as in Paige. Anywho, I'm about done with the Flip or Flop shows.
    What I do like about them is that they are only 30 minutes long and I can snark about them as they provide so much ammunition.
    waywyrd likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I think that's really crappy to discuss someone's ultrasound in public like that. TMZ has always sucked, but this is a new low. Can you imagine how you'd feel if that were your baby? (Generic question. Not for you specifically.)

As for Chip's long hair wasn't he growing it out for some charity thing where they shaved it off about a month ago?
    I do not think she would have shown it if they said there was a problem.

I see that the Magnolia business/silos is a major tourist attract with five restaurants. I read the line to get a cupcake is two hours long. Plus they rent two houses. So I guess they could take some time off to think.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Kao

Hometown was on last night! Once again, I really like how they sit the prospective homeowner down to find out more about them, their likes and dislikes before they even look at houses. It seems to save a lot of time. The homeowner was a nice older lady who wanted a place big enough to host her children and grandkids. There were too many beams on the ceiling in the greatroom, so Ben removed some of them and reused them in a long table for the dining room. Since the homeowner said she wanted some Afrocentric things for the house Erin sourced some beautiful Kente cloth from Kenya, and she and her mother made beautiful quilted pillows out of it, which was a nice touch. The finished kitchen looked lovely, and Ben continued his "create something out of materials already in the house" trend by converting a built in dresser drawer set that was in the kitchen into a beautiful kitchen island. What I like about this house is that it had a really warm, lived in look (as opposed to looking staged), and the homeowner and her daughter loved it.

Ben and Erin definitely have their own way of doing things, and the two shows I watched from this season is an improvement from last year. Is anyone else watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Hometown was on last night! Once again, I really like how they sit the prospective homeowner down to find out more about them, their likes and dislikes before they even look at houses. It seems to save a lot of time. The homeowner was a nice older lady who wanted a place big enough to host her children and grandkids. There were too many beams on the ceiling in the greatroom, so Ben removed some of them and reused them in a long table for the dining room. Since the homeowner said she wanted some Afrocentric things for the house Erin sourced some beautiful Kente cloth from Kenya, and she and her mother made beautiful quilted pillows out of it, which was a nice touch. The finished kitchen looked lovely, and Ben continued his "create something out of materials already in the house" trend by converting a built in dresser drawer set that was in the kitchen into a beautiful kitchen island. What I like about this house is that it had a really warm, lived in look (as opposed to looking staged), and the homeowner and her daughter loved it.

Ben and Erin definitely have their own way of doing things, and the two shows I watched from this season is an improvement from last year. Is anyone else watching?
    Yes, I am watching. While I didn't like that they tore out the planter box in the front, I personally would have kept it over the planter boxes on each window as who will really water those boxes over a period of time. However the home owner didn't like the brick planter and had it torn out. I was not sure what they were going to replace the old siding with but must admit the new dark blue siding looked great. I did like how they reconfigured the layout of the home and didn't go too crazy with the open concept look. Just widening current openings from just 3 or so feet to 7 or 8 ft makes a huge difference. I did like what they did with the kitchen and the little breakfast area, just perfect with that little round table and two seats. I wish I had that in my house. I did like how Erin listened to the customer/home owner and did Afro centric with lots of pattern and texture in the pillows and some of the accessories without going overboard. Overall the style of the furniture was a touch more traditional but it overall looked great, very grown up and sophisticated.

I do think Erin and her husband are a bit more relaxed and confident in the show and it shows in their delivery and how they play of other people. I have a feeling with Fixer Upper going off their air this year HGTV may be looking to Home Town hopefully taking over that slot for the network and fans.

Can't believe that you can get a 3,000 sq ft home for $132,000 and have all those renovations done for under $60,000.
    waywyrd and Kao like this.

Kao

I decided to give Restored by the Fords a chance tonight, and Holy Hell, except for the atrium I hated almost everything they did to that sweet midcentury modern home. Won't be tuning in again, that's for sure.
    waywyrd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I decided to give Restored by the Fords a chance tonight, and Holy Hell, except for the atrium I hated almost everything they did to that sweet midcentury modern home. Won't be tuning in again, that's for sure.
    I had told myself that I wouldn't watch them again, but I really wanted to see that particular house they kept showing in the promos. Indoor pool, cool entrance and atrium, massive fireplaces...and they wrecked the place. They smooshed cement all over one fireplace, and after that it looked out of place. What really irked me was the crappy knockdown cabinets they put in the kitchen. That house deserved better. On Hometown this week, their (fantastic!) cabinet guy made beautiful solid wood cabinets and built-ins for that home. Why didn't the Fords go that route?

This, and after seeing the commercial where she paints some unfortunate house's ceiling black, have put me off this show for good. I'm done now. I'll just stick to Fixer Upper on Tuesday nights.

I want some more Good Bones shows, when do they come back?
    Kao likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I had told myself that I wouldn't watch them again, but I really wanted to see that particular house they kept showing in the promos. Indoor pool, cool entrance and atrium, massive fireplaces...and they wrecked the place. They smooshed cement all over one fireplace, and after that it looked out of place. What really irked me was the crappy knockdown cabinets they put in the kitchen. That house deserved better. On Hometown this week, their (fantastic!) cabinet guy made beautiful solid wood cabinets and built-ins for that home. Why didn't the Fords go that route?

This, and after seeing the commercial where she paints some unfortunate house's ceiling black, have put me off this show for good. I'm done now. I'll just stick to Fixer Upper on Tuesday nights.

I want some more Good Bones shows, when do they come back?
    I gave them another chance and was disappointed in a lot of what they did. I know I wouldn't hire them. I like the brother and it seems she tells him what to do and he does it. He seems to never question her designs.
    waywyrd and Kao like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

The Ford designer likes “Moody”. That’s a style of which I am not a fan.

Fixer Upper was fun this week with Joanna deciding the arches were not a good design choice and just making them regular cased openings. The transformation of the exterior was amazing it looked like a totally different house. It was nice to see Chip and Jo do a smaller home on a smaller budget then they have lately been doing. I also liked that Jo created a star pattern with the diamond tile. Luv'ed the different dark green lower cabinets with the white uppers in the kitchen. I also liked how they painted the front door that dark green color.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-17-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    waywyrd, Kao, Lizard and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread