+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1308Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

IMO it's not those frivolous lawsuits. There was, also, a well funded organized effort aimed directly at them over what the show's clients looked like and that drove their decision to pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    IMO it's not those frivolous lawsuits. There was, also, a well funded organized effort aimed directly at them over what the show's clients looked like and that drove their decision to pull out.
    Huh?
    No goat killers on my island.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

ryansmommy

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Huh?
    I can't speak for ryansmommy but I have read elsewhere that Chip and Joanna belong to a Christian sect that frowns upon homosexuality. HGTV is a network that is very 'gay friendly' and show many gay couples on their various shows. Many of Chip and Jo's clients are from their church, and therefore would not be a gay couple.

I could be way off-base so hopefully ryansmommy will clue us both in.

Here's an article I found referencing the church controversy:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...aines-response

From what I've read --- long ago --- from various sources is not that Chip and Joanna Gaines discriminate, but that they have have not produced a show showcasing a LGBT couple.

Chip and Jo's clients are not selected from their church. In fact, very few are selected from those doing business with their real estate firm. Instead, they reach out and invite people to apply based upon certain situational (recently acquired a house), financial (have the money to pay for the work to be done), willingness (home improvement decisions in the hands of someone else and be on reality TV) and proximity criteria (near Waco).

Those well funded political groups targeting the Gaines are INSISTING --- not that sexual orientation be part of the selection criteria --- but that their production company showcase the sexual orientation IDENTITY of LGBT clients on the show so the show will look like these groups want the show to look like. Add to that to others attempting to extort money from the Gaines only because of their success and the end result is the Gaines quitting the show.

Can't blame them for quitting. IMO, it's a smart move because it simplifies their life and takes the target from behind their backs. It's just sad for those of us that enjoyed and looked forward to watching their show.

My only concern for them is that once they aren't on TV, their brand becomes worth less. Will every one want to visit the siloes or buy their paint off that aren't seeing them on TV?
    aramcobrat and Cornholio like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I know.

However, HGTV is continuously showing Fixer Upper repeats more than any other show. Maybe there is another unannounced different type format show in the hopper?
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Thanks ryansmommy. The Gaines don't run the production company that produces their show, it's a production company that was looking for a couple to base a tv show around. I read Magnolia Story. And of course there is a contract the Gaines have and the production company has with HGTV. HGTV and the production company have a lot more pull as to story content etc than the Gaines do. Funny how groups target the stars of the show while they should be targeting the HGTV and the production company. I am sure it got to be very unpleasant.

Regardless of who is responsible for making whatever production decisions, why is it necessary for whacked outside groups (whatever their political leanings) to attempt to force false narratives so we all can pretend life is as it really isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    Regardless of who is responsible for making whatever production decisions, why is it necessary for whacked outside groups (whatever their political leanings) to attempt to force false narratives so we all can pretend life is as it really isn't?
    I was only making a point that it was kinda dumb of outside groups to go after the Gaines as they are not in charge of the story telling.

+ Reply to Thread