+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I guess it's not a spoiler but it soured me on the show a bit. It just seems so fakey, all the debate over pros and cons of other houses. I wonder if someone ever sees one that they like better but they're already under contract?

About Sandra, I like her as well, but something sticks out to me: every realtor I've ever worked with is very careful not to give financial advice. They seem to say "bid a price that you're comfortable with" whereas she will outright tell people that they should start higher. Is this because they're less concerned with liability in Canada, or for the show, or what? She presses people to stretch their finances sometimes.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3876084;
    About Sandra, I like her as well, but something sticks out to me: every realtor I've ever worked with is very careful not to give financial advice. They seem to say "bid a price that you're comfortable with" whereas she will outright tell people that they should start higher. Is this because they're less concerned with liability in Canada, or for the show, or what? She presses people to stretch their finances sometimes.
    I watched a couple of times but found her very condescending and grating so I didn't watch more than maybe twice? Three times tops, she seemed fake and overly confident and as if 1st Time Home Buyers were complete idiots and that only she knew what was best for them.

About the financial advice, my Realtor actually was sort of awesome when it came to that. We had a pre-approved loan and she encouraged us to find a home that was quiet a bit less than the loan amount.

She was huge on saying "You don't want to be house poor" and since the market has crashed, I mentally thank her everyday that she helped us make the right decision. Unlike many around us, our house wasn't over priced and we are weathering the down turn just fine without being stuck in a home that has gone down in value more than 100K (it's happening all around us).

And that's a major problem I have with many of these real estate shows (like My House is Worth What?), they seem to encourage both the people on the show and those watching to live outside their means and to partake in funny financing to get a home that they can't afford. I wonder how many of these people are now in foreclosure? These shows should be a little more responsible, which is why I like Income Property so much. It's showing people how to make money off their homes.

I also like that show Hidden Potential, although sometimes I wonder about their financing too because it seems a bit sketchy. But the general gist is good.

My current HGTV obsessions are the House Hunter shows and Bang for the Buck (I might be saying the title wrong). The show where they show three home makeovers and talk about which house got more for their money? One, the re-designs are usually gorgeous and this is done by average people and two? It's really funny seeing the reactions of the people as the Realtor and designer discuss their choices.

I like many of those same shows including "Bang For Your Buck." (Though it blows me away how much things cost!)
    Is Your House is Worth What still on?

I know! $60,000 for a master suite? I'll never be able to renovate.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Is anyone watching "Marriage Under Construction?" Quirky, snarky couple who can sometimes be a little annoying, but fun to watch.

Marriage Under Construction - Shows - HGTV Canada

Marriage Under Construction

Rodney and Natalie have known each other for four years and were recently married last summer in St. John’s, Newfoundland. They currently live in Cabbagetown (a community within Toronto) and rent a room in a place they call ‘The Frat House’ with two of Rodney’s friends. After a year of fun, they are eager to get a place of their own and settle down with hopes of starting a family in the near future.

Rodney, a 6’ tall and 300+ pound teddy bear, fell in love with cooking as a profession at the age of 18 and currently owns two successful restaurants in the Toronto area. Natalie (Rodney’s wife) recently moved back to Canada from the US for three years. She’s a health nut and runs at least two half marathons every summer; all while working as a Canadian Training Store Manager for a successful clothing brand.

Both Rodney and Natalie can’t wait to be west-enders again in Toronto! They have set their sights on a new trendy neighbourhood where they are minutes away from shopping, restaurants, parks and schools. They have decided that a budget of $600,000 will land them their dream ‘fixer upper’ home that will work as a ‘family home for the future’, as well as include a ‘dream kitchen’ to entertain family and friends.

Bills. Construction. Living together in their first home and a new neighbourhood. The ups and downs of home ownership. MARRIAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION III is a 13-part docu-soap that follows Rodney and Natalie's relationship, along with the struggles of building their first home together. It’s a personal and physical renovation

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3876939;
    Is anyone watching "Marriage Under Construction?" Quirky, snarky couple who can sometimes be a little annoying, but fun to watch.

Marriage Under Construction - Shows - HGTV Canada

$600,00, yeow I would like to see the creative financing on that mortgage.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

$600K and it's a first home fixer up. Either they make a heck of a lot more money in Canada or these two are up to their eyeballs in creative financing and yet again HGTV is showing how not to finance your home.

I actually am not into these types of shows, I tried watching some of the others like this and just couldn't get into them. I much prefer watching house hunting shows or remodeling shows.

Like Cash in the Attic or that one Renovation Nation. Not sure if they are still on but I used to be really into those and If Walls Could Talk. I miss those shows, need to check if they are still on and record them.

I'm with you, Harmony.

I find far too many of their shows to exercise "creative financing."
    And, it just reinforces financial irresponsibility.

I loved the old shows like Cash in the Attic or If Walls Could Talk.
    I've not seen them in Primetime, so perhaps they're repeating them at some obscure time?

I find the same problems with Food Network. Too many comtests, food competitions and silly shows like Private Chefs of Bev Hills. I tune to Food Network to make a recipe, not to see a reality TV show. I see way too many of them on the other channels!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I've seen Cash In The Attic in the early morning hours - around breakfast time. I've also run into If Walls Could Talk a couple of times around early lunch. If Walls Could Talk featured the old hospital (now a B&B) in the small town where I grew up. It was nostalgic to see the old building and the lawns where the neighborhood kids would gather for kick-ball until dark. After the company town was sold, the hospital was downgraded to a clinic then sold and renovated as apartments (my brother lived in one for a year). From the show I know it is now a Bed and Breakfast under renovation once again and they've found all sorts of old time medical equipment. My worst memory is a tonsillectomy and ether. Ahhh...
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Well, I guess I'm the only one who likes the show. I look at all of the HGTV shows as fun and fantasy.

+ Reply to Thread