+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

One thing about House Hunters, if you go to the HGTV website to see about applying to be on the show, you learn that it's not quite the way the show represents it:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    you have to be in escrow on a house when you apply, so these guys are already in contract with one of the houses they "visit".
    It's a formula that works I guess, but I did wonder why there never was anyone who looked at all three and decided none of them were what they wanted.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Candor and Chitex, I completly agree with you on Sandra.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3875673;
    One thing about House Hunters, if you go to the HGTV website to see about applying to be on the show, you learn that it's not quite the way the show represents it:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    you have to be in escrow on a house when you apply, so these guys are already in contract with one of the houses they "visit".
    It's a formula that works I guess, but I did wonder why there never was anyone who looked at all three and decided none of them were what they wanted.
    How does that work, then? Do they just visit random houses for the show? Sham.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3875673;
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't think that needs to be in spoilers since it's readily available information on their website? Not sure......

Actually, I remember seeing a couple of shows where the couple decided they didn't want any of the houses. There have also been ones (in particular the Realtor who was looking for a vacation home in Italy) where they showed 4 houses because one was so bad that he took it completely off the list.

But they are very few and far between and it actually sort of makes sense that they would already have a house locked down, because what if they choose a house and they don't get it? That would be a really boring show, I like the recap and seeing what they did with the house months later.

Never seen a Mike Holmes show, not something that would appeal to me so I've not been introduced to his particular brand of "charm" lol.

I do like the Income Property show where the guy comes in and helps a homeowner turn a part of their home into a rental property. He gets screwed sometimes though because he does all that work only to have the couple decide they are going to live in the rental part and not rent anything out!

FORT Fanatic

I find Sandra Rinomato's accent very distracting. And I doubt she is actually licensed in all the states they visit. She just acts as a kind of host for the show, I would imagine.

FORT Fogey

That was interesting about HH. I did not know that. I did get the impression that they see more than 3 houses....at least in some cases. From some of the conversations, they make references to "other" houses that we did not see. I can't say exactly which shows, but I remember thinking that they must have seen other houses

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3875868;
    I find Sandra Rinomato's accent very distracting. And I doubt she is actually licensed in all the states they visit. She just acts as a kind of host for the show, I would imagine.
    I never got the feeling that she was licensed in all those states. (And that would be pretty tough if not impossible anyway. My husband sells insurance. When people approach him who are from out of state he has to tell them that he's not licesned in that state. Each has it's own requirements and testing-as I'm sure you know!)
    She says, when she doing a show in the US, "I'll have my people put this together..." or words to that effect. In otherwords, there are agents who do the actual paperwork - and may actually be there at the showing of the houses. She is experienced with first timers and knows real estate, though.
    I didn't care for Sandra the first time I saw her but she has grown on me.

FORT Fanatic

I agree, Sandra's clothes never seem to fit right! Always pulling on her blazers, and sometimes the pants are alittle tight in the crotch.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3875009;
    What happened to Unsellables, I love Sophie? Where is Income Property? I really like that show too.
    You have to search their shows out on weekday afternoons. That is when they air the design (indoor/outdoor) and staging shows. Currently they're devoting the evening hours to real estate shows for the most part.

Sandra is Canadian and I, too, was confused when she started showing houses in the states. At one point she told the couple that she would get her team on it...I don't think she is licensed to prepare or close on the paperwork in the states, but, for HGTV purposes, is allowed to be the "agent" on screen at the scene.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3875783;
    How does that work, then? Do they just visit random houses for the show? Sham.
    I know people who have been on the show.
    One friend, in fact, was asked to step in as the couple featured didn't have their regular realtor on hand at time of filming. So, she had to sub for her.
    Even before I knew people who went on the show, I assumed the HH's featured already selected their home / were in escrow. There'd be no way, logistically possible, to just expect HH's to come to a serendipitous (sp?) decision on camera that quickly. And, they mentioned on several shows that the HH's do look at homes that aren't shown on camera.
    The show takes some dramatic license, if you will, which is fine with me as, otherwise, I think it would be pretty boring.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread