+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1172Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Anybody entering to win the HGTV Smart home 2017 in Scottsdale AZ? I'm entering every day! Nice that they have a 3-car garage.

Full Room Tours of HGTV Smart Home 2017 | HGTV Smart Home 2017

I enter occasionally. For the last two, I entered twice every day, but it did me no good! Actually, I couldn't stand to live in AZ, so I would sell it immediately. I wonder how many of the winners do that vs. moving to the home.
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.

You could always choose to take the cash prize instead and skip ownership of the house. You would get $670K in lieu of taking the house plus you would still get the Mercedes SUV and $100,000 cash from Quicken Loans. Or you can take the house & all furnishings/decorative stuff - valued at $1.3M, along with the $100K and the Mercedes............

Sadly, lots of past winners have taken out loans and then foreclosed on the homes. Most publicly was the Dream Home in Tyler, TX years back. I used to be on a forum on HGTV's website that had all the info whenever these homes were listed for sale, it was super-interesting. But HGTV shut that forum down 3 or 4 years ago.

A safe bet would be to take the cash prizes, pay the federal/state income tax on the prize money, then use what's left over to buy a house for cash in your desired location! The cash option is offered with this AZ smart home, but it's definitely not always offered on the HGTV home sweepstakes. :-)
    waywyrd and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Cornholio;5141153]You could always choose to take the cash prize instead and skip ownership of the house. You would get $670K in lieu of taking the house plus you would still get the Mercedes SUV and $100,000 cash from Quicken Loans. Or you can take the house & all furnishings/decorative stuff

I would be more than happy to do that!!
    Cornholio likes this.

Flip or Flop Vegas for the first time the overly large kitchen island suited the space perfectly. I must admit it is amazing how taking down these partial walls and changing the footprint of the kitchen totally changes the feel of the home. I do give blondie full credit for bargain shopping and making her choices work. I just don't always like the tile inserts on the walls on previous houses the scale was off on one and sometime the back splashes on the vanities look way too tacky.
    waywyrd and Cornholio like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

I liked the Vegas house this week - that wall coming down was a huge improvement, and I agree, the island didn't overwhelm the space for once. The pink staging stuff? Not a fan. I think most of their staging borders on cluttery, anyway. Just a little too much stuff.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    You could always choose to take the cash prize instead and skip ownership of the house. You would get $670K in lieu of taking the house plus you would still get the Mercedes SUV and $100,000 cash from Quicken Loans. Or you can take the house & all furnishings/decorative stuff - valued at $1.3M, along with the $100K and the Mercedes............

Sadly, lots of past winners have taken out loans and then foreclosed on the homes. Most publicly was the Dream Home in Tyler, TX years back. I used to be on a forum on HGTV's website that had all the info whenever these homes were listed for sale, it was super-interesting. But HGTV shut that forum down 3 or 4 years ago.

A safe bet would be to take the cash prizes, pay the federal/state income tax on the prize money, then use what's left over to buy a house for cash in your desired location! The cash option is offered with this AZ smart home, but it's definitely not always offered on the HGTV home sweepstakes. :-)
    Are you talking about loans to cover the taxes on the house, etc? I imagine those would pretty steep--surely around 600K+? As much as I have dreamed of those neat homes, it would be too stressful for me to face a massive tax bill. I almost would have to take the cash option as well.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I liked the Vegas house this week - that wall coming down was a huge improvement, and I agree, the island didn't overwhelm the space for once. The pink staging stuff? Not a fan. I think most of their staging borders on cluttery, anyway. Just a little too much stuff.
    I didn't mind the pink so much although it could have been reduced by 30 to 40%, but yes some of the staging borders on too much clutter.
    waywyrd likes this.

Flip and Flop Vegas - does a 1000 sq ft home this week.

It is a small house, blondie changes the layout of the kitchen. Yes it works better. Puts an island in it. Yes it works. But again it is too big and there really is not a good overhand for folks who are eating at it and then puts a dining room table next to it. What is wrong with her putting in such a huge island. That island could have been anything from 8 inches to a foot narrower, have a better overhang and look better than the one they had. Also a small bistro table with two chairs would have looked better in the dining room.

I did like the colors she picked and the tile looked decent in the bathrooms but again the proportion of the tile inset the guest room looks off.

In such a small house she could have taken 10 to 15% of the stuff out and it would have looked better.
    woodiedog likes this.

I noticed that they used manufactured shiplap in houses now. I have seen them use it on Flip Flop Vegas and in a new development in the model homes a couple of miles from my house. All I could think of was Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper.

HGTV is airing test shows: Restored Glory and Boise Boys.

I noticed in Restored Glory, Boise Boys and Home Town they show the remodeling process is more complicated than what we see on Flip or Flip, I have seen blueprints on all three new shows. That yes stuff is decided on paper and before demo and not just on the wing like they show on Flip or Flop.

+ Reply to Thread