+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 101 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3875027;
    We are such a spoiled nation in many regards.
    My kitchen (top of the line at the time) is 19 years old. High end (white) appliances, Corian countertops and all the bells and whistles in my cabinets. I'm supposed to replace all that because now stainless, granite and a more contemporary look is "in?" I'm thankful for what I have and will continue to enjoy it. I think years ago before these show and when we didn't see the insides of so many homes, people were happier with what they had and less concerned about keeping up with the current design trend.

And don't forget "open floor plan". I don't have one and don't want one. When I have guests, I make sure the meal is such that I don't spend much time in the kitchen. I am sure nobody's kitchen is in any condition to be on display from the living room. To me, the open plan sounds better in theory ( Oh, I want to be able to see my guests while I am cooking) than in practice.

It's kind of crazy to me to see how some parts of the country have such huge houses and people consider them starter homes. I saw a House Hunters the other night where they were looking at a huge 4 bedroom home with everything finished just beautifully, and the couple rejected it because you could see a neighbor's house when you looked out the window. Not that you were so close you were looking in their house, they didn't want to see another house at all!

I cringe when I see a young couple putting nothing down, or using 3 mortgages to finangle the purchase, then you check the date on the show and it's from 2008 or earlier and you have to wonder if they're still in the house.

Also, it seems like everyone in America wants double sinks. That's just so far off my radar I don't know what to say.

So why is HGTV all house hunting shows now? I remember when there were decorating and craft shows.

P.S.: I'm the same way about open floor plan. If it's too open, when someone's doing the dishes you can hear it all over the house. So much for relaxing with the TV on while anyone's working in the kitchen. A wall here and there is a good thing. Plus, when I have a party I reserve the right to have a few dirty dishes out of plain sight of the guests.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I love the House Hunter shows and watch them and the International one all the time. I find it interesting to see what people look for in other places and how much they are paying.

What baffles me is the insistence on huge bathrooms. Personally, I'd rather take the tubs out of mine and put in wicked showers with all these heads and a bench but you can't because then you will have a hard time selling the house. I just don't understand wasting all that real estate on a bathroom when you could make the closets or the bedrooms larger instead. You spend how much time in the bathroom? Minutes? So why does it need to be the size of a bedroom?

I cringe when I see kids that are still in college or just got out buying 300K houses because there is nothing worse (in my mind) than being house poor. I'd rather live two steps below what I can afford so I can do all the things my family likes to do (eat out...we are quiet the foodies, even my 7 year old is and travel). Different strokes and all that.

Still find the shows really interesting and it boggles my mind at times how expensive itty bitty flats are overseas.

I think HGTV has scaled back a bit on House Hunters (though they still have a lot of the "first time homebuyers/seller shows.) I enjoy House Hunters, somewhat - it's just shocking the disparity.
    And even the design to sell type shows are annoying to me. You have a traditional look? Holy cow! Get rid of it. Where I live in the south, traditional still is somewhat the thing.
    Some of the new shows, I enjoy. For example, Tough as Nails was a pleasant surprise. I will say, I'm probably the only (female) viewer on the planet who can't stand Mike Holmes. Even when a commercial of his comes on I change the channel. He's a nice looking guy and all that but his one note, self righteous indignation got old for me after about two shows.

I wish they'd have more of the pure design and craft shows.
    I'm really sick of the RE shows and seeing the over inflated prices the homes used to get. And, I think it is unwise of them to show so many people who put NO down payment atall ontheir homes.
    That's a big part of why we got into the mess we're in now.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3875086;
    I think HGTV has scaled back a bit on House Hunters (though they still have a lot of the "first time homebuyers/seller shows.) I enjoy House Hunters, somewhat - it's just shocking the disparity.
    And even the design to sell type shows are annoying to me. You have a traditional look? Holy cow! Get rid of it. Where I live in the south, traditional still is somewhat the thing.
    Some of the new shows, I enjoy. For example, Tough as Nails was a pleasant surprise. I will say, I'm probably the only (female) viewer on the planet who can't stand Mike Holmes. Even when a commercial of his comes on I change the channel. He's a nice looking guy and all that but his one note, self righteous indignation got old for me after about two shows.
    Not the only one! I don't really dislike him so much as just can't stand the self-righteousness. I mean, he acts like he is the only person in the world you could trust to do a good job. My husband can't stomach him either.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3875162;
    Not the only one! I don't really dislike him so much as just can't stand the self-righteousness. I mean, he acts like he is the only person in the world you could trust to do a good job. My husband can't stomach him either.
    Ah! Elizabeth. I see you're from GA. Me, too. Maybe we southern ladies aren't falling for the "Mike Holmes" charm. The first show I saw was okay, but there is no "up and down" or "ebb and flow." That's what I mean by "one note." It's now the equivalent of listening to someone whine constantly. I want to say, "shut up and get over yourself!"

Have to say I've only seen it 1x or 2x. I did enjoy it when I saw it.
    My hairdresser never misses an episode, though, and he really likes Mike.
    I guess it depends on how real you feel the show and Mike are.
    My hairdresser and I have both been burned by some bad contractors - the bigger the state; the more disreputable the contractor.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I've seen every episode and re-run of House Hunters, love it. Mike Holmes, can't stand, never watched his show, and Sandra Rinamato (sp) has grown on me.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

I like Sandra Rinomato's personality, but I wish she'd get a stylist. Her clothes are always one size too small. I can't believe I'm noticing this stuff.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread