+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 91 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

The easiest thing to do to sell a house is clean it and I am always surprised how few people do even that. Clean, paint and cheap new carpet is the easiest and most common sense thing to do on top of mowing the lawn and make the outside look presentable. I have been in lots of houses with lots of stuff but it was kept so nice and neat the implication is that the house is also well maintained. I remember one of my realtors was asked by some friends of hers why their house has been on the market so long. Well when she went over there she noticed a big water stain on the ceiling. Her friends told her that the previous owners has some problems with the plumbing but it had been fixed. She told them to paint the stain because it looks as if they currently are having problems with their plumbing. Months later the house still had not sold and she noticed that her friends had not painted the water stain. She asked them why they had not and they replied. Well, it didn't happen while they were living their so they felt it was not their problem. Unbelievable. When it comes to selling houses people have blinders on.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-28-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Did anyone watch House Hunters last night? The young couple trying to buy a condo outside of Seattle. I can't believe they were paying around $250,000+ for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment/condo in this market. That seemed so overpriced.

I think a lot of people get so used to their home being a certain way (cluttered or messy or outdated) that they don't even realize it's that way anymore. If that makes any sense. You'd think their realtor would step up and advise them, but who knows, some people are stubborn (and stupid).

Most often, when I've looked at places that are cluttered with personal items or are a mess, the buyers seem to think that their massive collection of clown figurines or their nasty fishtank full of algae is actually something other people would be really into. They'll point out and say things like, 'I don't want to part with these things, but if you're really interested, maybe I could throw this in as part of the deal' And they are NOT kidding. It's pretty crazy.

I rented a home when I first moved to the state that I'm in now, and I needed a furnished place. The people I rented from had a huge home on a large lake near the city. They had a realtor handle the renting and showing of the place, and the owners rented it every year except during the summer when they used it as their vacation home. So it was basically rented more often than not. I didn't get a chance to look at it in person, but I saw some pictures and talked to the owner and realtor and went from there. When I got there, the place was really cool but the owner (an elderly woman) had her personal pictures all over the walls, the mantles, EVERYWHERE. And some were really...unsavory. Like the one of her, naked in the bathtub with her grandchildren - breasts totally exposed. I had to take down her photos and put then in a closet. Seemed funny to me that you'd rent a place with pictures like that on the wall. She was really egocentric, though, and I bet she thought people would LOVE to look at her photos all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3180154;
    Did anyone watch House Hunters last night? The young couple trying to buy a condo outside of Seattle. I can't believe they were paying around $250,000+ for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment/condo in this market. That seemed so overpriced.
    My niece and her family live near there and their home's value has increased over the past year. Go figure.....
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

That seems to be a decent price for that area, Bearcata. Things sub-300K go fairly quickly even in this market. Houses in my neighborhood in what most people think is a suburb of Portland OR for sale in the mid to upper 300s (good sized houses and decent quality, fairly new) spend months on the market.

Did anyone watch the new HGTV Showdown tonight? It was Genevieve Gorder and Carter Oosterhouse vs. Monica Pedersen and Eric Stromer. I fell asleep and didn't see who won.

Totally thrilled that Property Virgins is doing so well HGTV moved it to Mondays at 8pm.

Also nice to see House Hunters doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3311284;
    Did anyone watch the new HGTV Showdown tonight? It was Genevieve Gorder and Carter Oosterhouse vs. Monica Pedersen and Eric Stromer. I fell asleep and didn't see who won.
    I switched back to the Grammys and only caught the first few minutes.
    Team GC won.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3312032;
    I switched back to the Grammys and only caught the first few minutes.
    Team GC won.
    They were trying too hard to make Eric Stromer the "bad guy." I could do without the "stealing" other designer's furniture.

There is a really good new show on HGTV Wednesday nights at 9:30pm. It is called Income Property. The premise is that person buys a house and converts the basement into an income property. The before and after photos are simply amazing and the host of the show is really easy on the eyes. Yum.

+ Reply to Thread