+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1445Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Really liking a couple of the new shows, especially Good Bones with the mother and daughter and Masters of Flip with husband and wife, Kourtney and Dave.

There is simply too much of Tarek and Christina and the Property Brothers on endless reruns all week long and I want to see someone else.

I do wish maybe they would so a staging show, even one where you can use your own furniture and change it up to make your house look different.
    No goat killers on my island.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Really liking a couple of the new shows, especially Good Bones with the mother and daughter and Masters of Flip with husband and wife, Kourtney and Dave.

There is simply too much of Tarek and Christina and the Property Brothers on endless reruns all week long and I want to see someone else.

I do wish maybe they would so a staging show, even one where you can use your own furniture and change it up to make your house look different.
    I'd be happy if they brought some more G back to HGTV. Almost never see them doing those shows anymore unless they do them at weird times when I am not watching. It is always marathons of one renovation show or the other it seems like. I recall they used to have a show when I first started watching that channel with a British guy who did these small backyard re-landscapes that were pretty cool. They guy's name was Paul something or the other I think.

Thanks, Declan for reminding me. He did British gardens. I love the gardening shows that are no more. There used to be landscaping shows on Sat and Sun mornings that were my go-to.
    waywyrd and Declan like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think the prices they show for the Tiny Houses is hinky too. I think they need to shop around a little more. The people who buy a basic and do most of the work themselves seems to be the best deal. Still, you have all that labor to invest though.

If you want a Tiny place, that's great, but why impose it on minor children and pets. I mean, what pet wants to be cooped up in that tiny place 24/7? Why do they think 2-3 large dogs want to live in that tiny house with 2 adults? So selfish, IMO.
    That drives me nuts as well. Just because you had fun with your family in an rv for a few weeks over the summer doesn't mean you need to put the whole family permanently in a tiny home. I suspect the families especially go back to a regular size home within a few years. My first husband and I lived in a 260 square foot home with our first child back in the day before it was fashionable. That was all we could afford and it worked, but we quickly realized that children grow and the stuff that goes with them grows, and having a toddler plus a second baby in that space just isn't practical. I especially couldn't have moved my kids when they were teenagers in a tiny home--they need their own space at that age. I understand wanting to spend more time together, but you don't need to go tiny to accomplish that--you can do that with a little effort in a 2000 square foot home just as well.
    Cornholio likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Thanks, Declan for reminding me. He did British gardens. I love the gardening shows that are no more. There used to be landscaping shows on Sat and Sun mornings that were my go-to.
    Had the name wrong. It was Matt James and the show was City Gardener that lured me into HGTV. It only came on late at night--like midnight or so.
    Arielflies likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    That drives me nuts as well. Just because you had fun with your family in an rv for a few weeks over the summer doesn't mean you need to put the whole family permanently in a tiny home. I suspect the families especially go back to a regular size home within a few years. My first husband and I lived in a 260 square foot home with our first child back in the day before it was fashionable. That was all we could afford and it worked, but we quickly realized that children grow and the stuff that goes with them grows, and having a toddler plus a second baby in that space just isn't practical. I especially couldn't have moved my kids when they were teenagers in a tiny home--they need their own space at that age. I understand wanting to spend more time together, but you don't need to go tiny to accomplish that--you can do that with a little effort in a 2000 square foot home just as well.
    Have to agree. Now, I personally am planning to do this, but it's just me! Short-sighted and unrealistic to think a whole family -- with pets -- can live in one of those things happily (that is, if it's not entirely fake)...

Even worse are REAL people who put these things on wheels and think they're going to drive around the country with them; not made for interstate speeds, and not very aerodynamic, either! But they ARE really that expensive. I've looked into them quite extensively. If you can build it yourself and have a piece of land where you want to put it... WITH utilities...

Nice. Otherwise...
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Have to agree. Now, I personally am planning to do this, but it's just me! Short-sighted and unrealistic to think a whole family -- with pets -- can live in one of those things happily (that is, if it's not entirely fake)...
    I have to agree. I think the tiny houses are good for people who are ready to retire. I wonder what the resale value is on some of these places. They are so highly individualized, I can't imagine anyone could recoup the money they paid.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

FORT Fogey

Well, that's why it IS a good idea to build them on a trailer with wheels or at least pallets. You can always move it to another location rather than sell it. But they're not designed for full-time road-trekking, as some books, shows, and websites suggest.

Some of these Tiny Houses are cute and for couples or singles who are starting out I think it's a great idea. I like those episode where the person is in transition perhaps and want to try new things and doesn't want to be tied down with high rents or mortgages and the idea of using only what you need and not being burden by tons and tons of material things and is probably a total rejection of the lifestyle we see hammered into us by TV and ads all over the place urging us to buy, buy, buy to the point where a person cannot sustain that lifestyle without going bankrupt and losing everything. Personally, I think this a direct result of all the mortgage foreclosures and economic collapse that whole mess created. But I have to agree if you want to raise a family in such a small space or have a couple of large dogs you are nuts.
    Cornholio likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

FORT Fogey

And now there this... So that may be the end of that HGTV show...

Tiny House Living May Soon Be Illegal - The Organic Prepper

+ Reply to Thread