+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I got bored with HHI and only watched half way through it. Normally I really look forward to the International one but this one did nothing for me. I thought the houses were mostly awful and barely livable. Plus all that tile, everywhere, made me just cringe.

I think the teacher is more than just a teacher, if I remember right? She also is some sort of instructor at the yacht club with her own private office. So I think that's how she is able to afford to move out. I was in awe of how low the median house was there and how low the cost of living was.

Count me in on the group who doesn't like stainless steel and granite counter tops. I prefer a natural stone counter top and either white appliances or black. I have my eye on a black fridge and stove for whenever we get around to remodeling our kitchen. I don't really care for that industrial look (at least in my eyes) with all that steel and granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3176255;
    I got bored with HHI and only watched half way through it. Normally I really look forward to the International one but this one did nothing for me. I thought the houses were mostly awful and barely livable. Plus all that tile, everywhere, made me just cringe.

I think the teacher is more than just a teacher, if I remember right? She also is some sort of instructor at the yacht club with her own private office. So I think that's how she is able to afford to move out. I was in awe of how low the median house was there and how low the cost of living was.

Count me in on the group who doesn't like stainless steel and granite counter tops. I prefer a natural stone counter top and either white appliances or black. I have my eye on a black fridge and stove for whenever we get around to remodeling our kitchen. I don't really care for that industrial look (at least in my eyes) with all that steel and granite.
    The teacher had a summer job as a sailing instructor at the yacht club. Looked as if she ran the program.

As far as countertops go, I have laminate which does the job. I have been thinking about replacing them but with a recycled glass product that is maintenance free. What many people do not realize that with granite and other stone products they need special sealers applied once or twice a yr and you have to use special cleaning products. That is too much trouble. I do wonder what the new trend is because the granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and cherry cabinet combination have been around now for a good 10 yrs or so??
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-25-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

well, my new kitchen is a laminate that looks somewhat like granite - it is a perfect match to the tiles I am having put down on the floor.
    and my appliances are black. I'm fine with laminate. However, the bathrooms are getting swirled marble counters and backsplashes.

* I spend more time there than in the kitchen anyhow.

I have to admit that I still really like stainless steel appliances. The newer trend coming out is to have color coordinated, bright appliances - red for red kitchen, green for green kitchen, etc. I don't know if that will really take off or not.

I agree with y'all about the granite, though. I'm tired of granite too. At least the good thing about granite is that you have quite a few color choices. I really like marble, though it stains easily and is soft. I have a condo in San Diego that has terazzo countertops, which I think is just SO cool. I don't see it very often in other places. (it's the stuff you see a lot in flooring - usually in old buildings and in schools). It's very durable (I mean, they use it for flooring!) and has little flecks of color in it, almost like flecks of glass or metal. I still put granite in my rentals though because the masses *really* love it... give em what they want, I guess...

Speaking of the masses and general irritation with them - I have an old, turn of the (20th) century duplex that is available for rent right now. Everyone that comes to see it says they just love 'old places' - but then when they see the smaller bedrooms and stuff they lose interest. Old places aren't wide open spaces with giant master bedroom suites. I totally redid this unit with all new kitchen and opened up the living space but people can't get over the smaller bedrooms (and no master bath?) GAH. This is the first time I've done the showings myself instead of a management co and I think it's the last time I do it. I got a call at 3 AM from an interested party regarding the duplex last night. 3 AM. I thought someone had died or something. Cripes. Do you have any idea how many weird people there are in this world?!?!?!? You wouldn't believe the call I just got. WOW.

Sorry for the vent. Anywho - House hunters - that's funny, pugmom, they are always looking for the same thing on each episode. Everyone wants the generic open floor plan with stainless steel and granite countertops. And everyone wants it to be a great entertaining house but I often wonder how much entertaining people *really* end up doing. I don't know many people that are having parties every weekend at their home - you know? I think it's one of those things that people like the idea of but don't actually do very often.

When I was living in an apartment all I really wanted was a big master suite that I could have all to myself. I guess when you have roommates or kids that is really important. But now I have a house to myself having that huge master suite is not as important cause I have the entire house. Still I do think it is important to have at least one large room, in my case the family room. I think having that one large space balances out having a smaller bedroom and bath.

I do get tired of all the house hunters saying the same thing over and over again. Not everyone wants that open concept home. Its nice to have a quite nook to yourself. Still in a smaller home I can see having the kitchen, dining and living area more open to each other. But once you start hitting 2,000sq ft you really don't need everything open. One thing always stuck in my mind was my mom saying she was glad that her kitchen was not open to the formal dining room as she did not want her quests to see the mess the kitchen was in and I totally agree with her. If you have an open concept living area you had better keep it clean else all your quests will thing you "Need Clean House".

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3176435;
    I have to admit that I still really like stainless steel appliances. The newer trend coming out is to have color coordinated, bright appliances - red for red kitchen, green for green kitchen, etc. I don't know if that will really take off or not.

I agree with y'all about the granite, though. I'm tired of granite too. At least the good thing about granite is that you have quite a few color choices. I really like marble, though it stains easily and is soft. I have a condo in San Diego that has terazzo countertops, which I think is just SO cool. I don't see it very often in other places. (it's the stuff you see a lot in flooring - usually in old buildings and in schools). It's very durable (I mean, they use it for flooring!) and has little flecks of color in it, almost like flecks of glass or metal. I still put granite in my rentals though because the masses *really* love it... give em what they want, I guess...

Speaking of the masses and general irritation with them - I have an old, turn of the (20th) century duplex that is available for rent right now. Everyone that comes to see it says they just love 'old places' - but then when they see the smaller bedrooms and stuff they lose interest. Old places aren't wide open spaces with giant master bedroom suites. I totally redid this unit with all new kitchen and opened up the living space but people can't get over the smaller bedrooms (and no master bath?) GAH. This is the first time I've done the showings myself instead of a management co and I think it's the last time I do it. I got a call at 3 AM from an interested party regarding the duplex last night. 3 AM. I thought someone had died or something. Cripes. Do you have any idea how many weird people there are in this world?!?!?!? You wouldn't believe the call I just got. WOW.

Sorry for the vent. Anywho - House hunters - that's funny, pugmom, they are always looking for the same thing on each episode. Everyone wants the generic open floor plan with stainless steel and granite countertops. And everyone wants it to be a great entertaining house but I often wonder how much entertaining people *really* end up doing. I don't know many people that are having parties every weekend at their home - you know? I think it's one of those things that people like the idea of but don't actually do very often.
    I think the majority of us grew up in houses with separate baths. I think that some of the home tv shows brainwash people into thinking that an ensuite bathroom is a nessessity. Well, they should have seen it when my family went to visit my aunt. Altogether there were 4 adults, and 8 kids and one bathroom and that's how it was for yrs and yrs until my uncle had an addition put on and he added an extra bathroom in the basement.

If you look as floor plans from 60 or 70 yrs ago alot of houses only had the one bathroom and that was upstairs with the bedrooms. Having a half bath downstairs was a really big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3177434;
    I think the majority of us grew up in houses with separate baths. I think that some of the home tv shows brainwash people into thinking that an ensuite bathroom is a nessessity. Well, they should have seen it when my family went to visit my aunt. Altogether there were 4 adults, and 8 kids and one bathroom and that's how it was for yrs and yrs until my uncle had an addition put on and he added an extra bathroom in the basement.

If you look as floor plans from 60 or 70 yrs ago alot of houses only had the one bathroom and that was upstairs with the bedrooms. Having a half bath downstairs was a really big deal.
    My parents had a half-bath (toilet and a sink) in their "master" bedroom. That was a big deal for them. We had one other full bath. I always thought our house was big until we went back to clean it out after my dad died. But I never remember worrying about a too-small bedroom or a small kitchen or just one bath. It was just home.

But I have to admit that I like not having to worry about clothes to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night or have my kid walk in while I'm using the facilities.

FORT Fogey

Are we cousins? My aunt had a rule: plop, wipe, flush, wash, out!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3177457;
    Are we cousins? My aunt had a rule: plop, wipe, flush, wash, out!
    I wish your aunt had met my one cousin, she would lock herself in for at least 2 hours beautifying herself while we all were trying to get ready for bed and it was always all of us yelling at her to get out and what the heck is taking so long.

Yeah, I grew up in an older home with one full upstairs bath and the tiniest of half baths on the first floor. We had to take turns taking showers and if you got stuck at the end you'd be lucky to get any hot water.

I can understand if people don't want small bedrooms, or to have to share a bath, but on my ad it is clear that the place is 100 years old, has one full bath and 2 smaller bedrooms. It irritates me that people think it would be 'charming' to live in an older home, but then are surprised by the older features. Like smaller bedrooms. And the absence of walk in closets, or master bathrooms. Unless the older home has had additions or extensive changes, that's what it's going to be like, because older homes don't tend to have master bathrooms, large master suites. You know what I mean? I think I'm just getting irritated with showing the place or something. It's not my thing.

I know there are a lot of people like like older places, so I'm hoping to find a renter soon that doesn't mind trading smaller bedrooms and just one bath for built-ins, tall ceilings, wood floors, wainscotting, etc. Where are you, renter?

+ Reply to Thread