+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1547Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

The prices for houses in Canada seemed very high to me. Especially compared to the houses in Raleigh, NC. Unless you are inside the Beltline (historic and upscale neighborhoods) or in a gated community, you can get very nice homes at very reasonable prices.

Yeah, Debb, at first I thought the prices were rather expensive but then realized this is Toronto. As in any major US city, prices would be higher. Picture a home in any of the boroughs of NYC, San Francisco, LA, DC, etc., and their prices would be up there.

I don't know if this is true or not, or where I even heard it, but I heard that there are 40- and 50-year mortgages in Canada. That would make home ownership more affordable for a lot of people.

Any Canadians out there that can confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I had to look it up. It's actually wainscoting. It's quite popular in older homes in the south. I don't think the average home buyer knows much about it though and certainly not what it's called. I also don't think the average buyer knows terms like "trey ceiling." I suspect it's scripted. And maybe the granite counter top comments are too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panelling

I did not even know how to spell it correctly. Lol
    Debb70 likes this.

'Flip Flop': Tarek El Moussa Has 'Slowed Down' After Thyroid Cancer Battle : People.com

WOW! I love this couple so much! I knew they welcomed a baby boy recently and wondered if that was why their show has not been on.

Tarek, for being in remission.
    waywyrd, dreamonia and Debb70 like this.
    KAREN

I like their show a lot. I always hope to see new episodes. It's not as staged as many renovation shows are. I like that.
    momrek06 likes this.

I saw one episode of the Tiny House Hunter show. I was amazed at how small the homes were. I could not understand why these people wanted to be in such a small space. But one lady was obviously looking to isolate herself a bit, as the house was out in the country with not much around for miles.

I agree with the comments about mobile or prefab homes. I have had the pleasure of living in a few rented mobile homes, and almost bought one at one time. It was older, but I wanted the land, which had been developed well, and was planning to replace the home. But I always was very comfortable in the mobile homes I rented. I was amazed at how much space they had, and you usually got a wonderful master bathroom with a garden tub and separate shower, with lots of counter space. Big walk in closets. Big pantries. Plenty of room for me and my dogs and my stuff. I was always very comfortable.

I have never lived in an apartment in my life. The closest I came was a duplex, but it was like a small house (well, it was part of a small house, after all). I may have to move to an apartment soon, and know nothing about apartment living, good or bad. I would love to see a show about apartment living. I would like to know if it's generally a good or bad experience before I possibly take it on at this age! seems I've sort of lived my life backwards...

Lilymax, I think I've lived in just about everything except for a travel trailer and a tiny house. There are so many kinds of apartments. I preferred a smaller complex. They are more cozy and not so impersonal, however, the larger ones have more amenities such as pool, gym, tennis courts, social room, etc. Most of the places I lived had large closets and washer/dryer hookups in the apt. I haven't lived in an apt in many years, but at the time, noise was my only issue. Having people above you can be problematic. You also have to be concerned with painting, hanging things on the walls, decorating... I like being able to do my own thing.

I don't know your age, but I know a lot of people around 50 start thinking of scaling back on a large house with yard work for something more manageable. I know some who have gone to senior condos and they love it. I think a show about apartments might be interesting too.

There used to be a show like House Hunters, but it was locating a suitable rental. I think it was on HGTV. Some places featured were in the US, but others were in other countries.

Good news! Fixer Upper is almost back! The Season 3 Premiere will air on Tuesday, December 1st, at 9:00 PM. YAY!!
    waywyrd, Maveno, dreamonia and 1 others like this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    'Flip Flop': Tarek El Moussa Has 'Slowed Down' After Thyroid Cancer Battle : People.com

WOW! I love this couple so much! I knew they welcomed a baby boy recently and wondered if that was why their show has not been on.

Tarek, for being in remission.
    I didn't know they had had a baby boy. Congrats to Tarek and Christina! It's crazy to think that his thyroid cancer was spotted by a viewer, who suggested he get himself checked. A similar thing happened to my m.i.l. at the senior center she goes to. A retired nurse there told her that her thyroid looked beefy and she should check it out. Her doctor sent her for further testing b/c he thought her thyroid looked okay. An MRI revealed she had a heart aneurysm. So now she has to go every 6 months to check if it has grown in size. And she was put on hypertension meds b/c it's important to keep blood pressure in check, especially if you have an aneurysm.

Anyway, happy to hear Tarek is in good health.

Back to HGTV topic.... was excited to see an episode on House Hunters recently in the metro NYC area. A lovely immigrant Irish couple with kids were moving from Queens out to Long Island. Darn it if I didn't fall asleep before the end so no idea which home they chose. IIRC they had an $800,000 budget. I was surprised that they didn't name the locales the couple did their search in; many times House Hunters does mention where they are, unlike Love It or List It.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I saw one episode of the Tiny House Hunter show. I was amazed at how small the homes were. I could not understand why these people wanted to be in such a small space. But one lady was obviously looking to isolate herself a bit, as the house was out in the country with not much around for miles.

I agree with the comments about mobile or prefab homes. I have had the pleasure of living in a few rented mobile homes, and almost bought one at one time. It was older, but I wanted the land, which had been developed well, and was planning to replace the home. But I always was very comfortable in the mobile homes I rented. I was amazed at how much space they had, and you usually got a wonderful master bathroom with a garden tub and separate shower, with lots of counter space. Big walk in closets. Big pantries. Plenty of room for me and my dogs and my stuff. I was always very comfortable.

I have never lived in an apartment in my life. The closest I came was a duplex, but it was like a small house (well, it was part of a small house, after all). I may have to move to an apartment soon, and know nothing about apartment living, good or bad. I would love to see a show about apartment living. I would like to know if it's generally a good or bad experience before I possibly take it on at this age! seems I've sort of lived my life backwards...
    There used to be a show on HGTV called For Rent where the host took apartment hunters to several different places and talked with them about the possibilities of what they could do with each space. Once they chose a space, she decorated a room or two for them using the ideas she'd explained earlier in the show. I think it was shot in Canada somewhere. I really liked it. I think there may be episodes of it available on the HGTV web site.

As for living in apartments, I've mostly lived in apartments with the exception of a couple of homes that I bought and lived in for a few years each. I've enjoyed apartment living. Noise can be a factor, for sure, but I found I got used to it, and I rather like the sense of community that comes from seeing your neighbors on a regular basis as you pass in the stairwell or whatever.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread