+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 96 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: HGTV Shows

I watched House Hunters yesterday with the couple adopting 4 month old Rebecca. They chose from 3 HUGE souless homes. They were a particularly boring couple and chose a boring house. They commented on the colors as if they could not be changed and as we saw they believed that! They kept the bright yellow room. I don't think the show has ever been this dull!

Ah. THAT couple. The baby was cute, though. My son wanted to watch the show just for the baby. I was surprised they kept the paint. But I have a feeling he and/or she are kind of cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3171160;
    I watched House Hunters yesterday with the couple adopting 4 month old Rebecca. They chose from 3 HUGE souless homes. They were a particularly boring couple and chose a boring house. They commented on the colors as if they could not be changed and as we saw they believed that! They kept the bright yellow room. I don't think the show has ever been this dull!

Oh, yeah, House Hunters. I don't like that show. If they are going to do a show about house hunting, the houses should be really cool. But most often the buyers are everyday people looking at really boring, vanilla houses.

Saw the tail end of another 24 hour design episode, just to see if the final product was ugly yet again. It was a living room re-do, and it wasn't awful, but just about everything in the room was from IKEA. Anyone could've done it by just thumbing through their IKEA catalog and recreating one of the rooms they saw on one of the catalog pages...??? How did this guy get his own show?

FORT Fogey

I took 24 Hour Design off my Tivo and have only seen 4 of the shows, ever. 24 hours is not long enough to make a good room and he mixes colors is the most peculiar way!

I put Myles of Style back on my Tivo and caught a really fabulous living/dining room yesterday. I watched her show when she first came on then abandoned it. I will give this another shot.

The overall room was good despite some cheezy details. 4 days is a reasonable amount of time, with a crew, to create something worth seeing. Obviously her budget is generous too. Why glue washers on that bookcase, though? You look at them and know EXACTLY what they are. That is never good. Using the radiator grill as a stencil for the desk top was a nifty idea but extending that plan to the sides lost me. It was too much. The fabric covered wall panel art filled the huge space but I would consider that a place holder until I could put some fabulous art there.

Summer Showdown looks good tonight. They're designing a patio. Craig is one of my fave carpenters. Totall yummy.
    Last edited by roses4me; 08-25-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: changed info
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3171437;
    Oh, yeah, House Hunters. I don't like that show. If they are going to do a show about house hunting, the houses should be really cool. But most often the buyers are everyday people looking at really boring, vanilla houses.
    The HH MUST HAVES: Wood floors, Stainless Appliances, Granite Countertops and room to ENTERTAIN!!!
    The HH buzz words: Outdated (when referring to tile counters in the kitchen), Retro (when referring to tile floors in the kitchen), needs replacing (when referring to tile counters and floors in the kitchen).

FORT Fogey

Showdown. That tiny yard set was ridiculous. It wasn't entertaining in the least!

Losing yard: Who would walk out their door, down a loose stone path to go sit in the sun on two chairs that barely fit the tiny "deck"? And who would balance food on trays (at least 3 trips) to negotiate the loose stone path so you could eat on another tiny deck? That was just bad.

Winning yard. It made more sense but who would want the light blocked in a window from that ramada? The fire pit was a cool idea and the furniture was comfortable, I suppose. The water feature was odd and not necessary. Water pouring out a hole that you could not even see from the seating area and would you even want to?

I would have made the entire set a deck or patio with a ramada on part of it. It would be big enough to hold the table and chairs close to the door, fire pit, water feature and seating too.

I am in the process of buying a new home, and granite countertops and stainless appliances are most definitely not on my list. I could have had them - but not interested. Why do they keep saying everyone wants them.

But then, I am buying a home for living in for a long time. Maybe by the time it comes to sell - I'll think about them. but by then, it will be something else that is trendy and not necessary.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3176183;
    I am in the process of buying a new home, and granite countertops and stainless appliances are most definitely not on my list. I could have had them - but not interested. Why do they keep saying everyone wants them.

But then, I am buying a home for living in for a long time. Maybe by the time it comes to sell - I'll think about them. but by then, it will be something else that is trendy and not necessary.
    I totally agree with you. Stainless will be "so turn of the century" in the exact same vein as avocado is said to be so 70's. Stainless is the new avodado. I prefer white, that will never go out.

As for counter tops, new materials are coming into focus, glass, cement, green materials, tons of new stuff. I expect to see more composites like Stilestone and Okite, which I like, enter the scene, as well.

What I like about Sundays are the new eps of Designed to Sell, House Hunters and Property Virgin. Summer Showdown was a bit of a plus but I am glad that was the last episode. I was very dissapointed as the backyards did not seem to scale. I think it is pretty much a duh factor when you have a chainlink fence and complain about privacy. You only have two options. Plants or new fencing. I know they have that weaving material that can go inside of the links of a chain fence and that is the least expensive way to go. With that $10,000 check they can at least put in a new 6 foot privacy fence if that is their priority. Realistically they need about $30,000 to fix their backyard if they want the fence, the deck, the pergoda and an extended patio. Seriously thought the owners did need not to keep garbage bags in the backyard and not throw they ladders there. Did they want us to think they were pigs? Mowing the lawn would not have hurt either.

I really liked House Hunters tonight. The Detroit episode was amazing. That in your 20's you can buy a nice little brick house for $70,000 is a really great opportunity. That teacher is only paying about $400 a month for her mortgage. Yeah, I am not including property taxes and utilities but that price is just unbelievable.

I was suprised that property in Potugal was so expensive. That second house was really overpiced. At only 1500 sg ft they wanted over $700,00 and yet the third house which was also newer construction was 3,000 sq ft and yet is was almost $100,000 less expensive. One thing I really like about HH International is the opportunity to see houses in other countries and see the cultural influences in building and interior design. One thing I have noticed alot in the European and South American episodes is that there is not a lot of storage, not enough closet space, no basements. Or is it that we Americans are packrats and just hold on to our possesions? Are we a nation of hoarders? Is consumerism our God?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread