+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 101 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Watching Property Virgins right now and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does not like the wife

As for Summer Showdown, when I heard David Bromstad would be on I was convinced that I'd love his room but boy was I wrong! Who wants a bright yellow racing stripe around their bedroom? I would have put a bit more color into Constance's room but all in all it's the room I'd choose, by far.

I'm with you roses, I could do without the forced hilarity between the designers...it happens every episode and it's getting old.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

I loved Davids room! It was modern, innovative, original and dynamic. The headboard was fantastic. I loved the yellow furniture. Well, I just loved everything about it!

Constance. I hated the pinkish brown/fleshy wall color and didn't think it looked good with the yellow. The princess headboard was just a fancier version of what the homeowner had done with her mosquito net. I hate those things. The room looked like it was out of a bedding catalog. I didn't like one thing about it, including the so called relaxing atmosphere. It was too brown and heavy to be relaxing.

The homeowner prefered Davids room, too, and that is who needs to be impressed.

I don't have a problem with judges who are not designers. This is a low budget summer filler and what designer wants to judge a colleague even if they could make the time?

I thought the homeowner liked David's room but loved Constance's room. She said she wanted to take the throw with her, or did I hear that wrong? I didn't like the canopy over the bed in her room, but I loved the color scheme. The mirrors's frames were, perhaps, a bit too big in relation to everything else in the room.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

I think the problem with Constance's room was that it was designed for a more mature woman, who would better appreciate the elegance she added with the furnishings. The homeowner had tried a canopy of that type over her bed previiously, and while she said she liked it...maybe not so much.

Yes, David's room was bright, bright, bright. But, it was modern and younger. His use of the lucite tables over traditional night stands was brilliant. A modern touch combined with traditional. The problem with David's designs is that they are unique to each of his rooms. She won't be able to take the headboard home or the paintings. I don't know if her 10,000 will find her a carpenter to build the bed frame, etc. She does live in the LA area...maybe she can request HGTV help re-create the bedroom for her. NAH.

Constance Ramos was one of the original designers on Extreme Makeover Home Addition. She has been with HGTV for two seasons, now doing a color correction themed show.

I was ticked by her laizzez-faire antics and felt for Anthony - who normally has to work with Kim Myles. All I can say is, Finally! My favorite designer has won the weird trophy! That made me happy!

Next week is the SMALL back yard. Maybe both designers will use one firepit too many and burn down the stage.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;3168737;
    I thought the homeowner liked David's room but loved Constance's room. She said she wanted to take the throw with her, or did I hear that wrong? I didn't like the canopy over the bed in her room, but I loved the color scheme. The mirrors's frames were, perhaps, a bit too big in relation to everything else in the room.
    That was an editing deal. She praised both rooms and did say that she wanted to take that throw with her. In a 5 to 7 minute diary talk near the end, she said that David nailed her taste or something to that effect. She "chose" David's room. They do that each episode. The room owner says nice things about both rooms and they divulge which they like best after the judging. And if you are not paying attention it is over in a breath!

Arielflies. I would not say that Constance appealed to the mature taste because, at 62, one would say I am mature. I hated it. It is not about age, but about taste, sophistocation and artistic sensibilities. I am a painter and do other mediums, as well. I have a dictinct aversion to catalog rooms and that is EXACTLY what Constance did. Dark wood furniture and round mirrors? So Pottery Barn.

An artist mentor of mine, who is 77 and married to a man 84 (architect) have a house you would tag as young sophistocate and dynamite, cutting edge style. There is no age involved here unless you are refering to those who start sentences with the word, me. Ingorance is bliss, they say. I say ignorance has lousy taste.

I am a snob. I embrace that!
    Last edited by shoepie; 08-18-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;3168737;
    She said she loved the round mirrors (which the designer didn't even plan on) and the throw. She said those were the TWO things she'd take out of the room. I wouldn't call that room for mature tastes. Although I may be a very immature 42-year-old.

But didn't she say something about she liked everything in David's room? I thought his bright room was much more her taste.

I thought Constance's room looked like a hotel bedroom. SHE decided on the feminine look. It was boring and she even did a similar bed to the bed the homeowner had before. She changed out the fabric for the fake canopy. At least surround the darn bed and do a real canopy. Can you tell I didn't like her room?

While I would not want David's, I thought he listened to the homeowner and gave her something different that you would not find in any mid-level magazine.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3169044;
    But didn't she say something about she liked everything in David's room? I thought his bright room was much more her taste.
    The post right above yours says she DID choose David's room as her favorite.

shoepie - I'm 61 and wish I was an artist of any medium. I much preferred David's room and was thrilled that he won. I was thinking that the furniture lines and surfaces in Constance's room might appeal to one with conservative tastes (I guess I shouldn't have used the word, mature) and I didn't think this particular young woman appeared very conservative. While I don't know very much about Pottery Barn, I thought Constance's room did look like a department store showpiece with its layout.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Thanks to all for the corrections to my take on Summer Showdown. I was half watching back and forth with the Olympics.

I always love David's work, but for some strange reason I didn't like this for a small bedroom. Perhaps a bigger sunroom or family room would be a better fit, for me anyway.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3169048;
    The post right above yours says she DID choose David's room as her favorite.
    Yes. I read that post and wasn't talking about the interview afterward. I was talking about when she said something nice about each room, as they always do. I was sure she liked David's better, without her saying which one she specifically liked better, because of the exact words she used.

+ Reply to Thread