+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "Ice Road Truckers"

Premium Member

Re: "Ice Road Truckers"

Quote Originally Posted by waitforbigbro;2523086;
    I don't know whether Hugh wouldn't give him time to get it fixed or what.
    I think the issue was that Hugh expected Rick to take care of getting the heater fixed himself, and Rick thought Hugh should pay for it since he owned the truck. It was confusing, but when Rick was on the phone he was complaining about not having any money, so I think that was it.

I can't believe I got addicted to this show. It was a little unsettling at the end when they showed the last remnants of the ice road floating around, it really hits home just how dangerous this is.

Yes, it's interesting to see how popular the show became. I remember watching the original Ice Road Truckers documentary on the History Channel a couple of years ago, called to my husband to come in and watch it, and we sat there and watched it intently. It was a fascinating documentary.

The last year when I read they were making a series based on the documentary, I thought it was a very cool (pardon the icy pun ) concept for a series. And it wasn't disappointing. I hope they show a second season of it, in fact.

The guy I liked best from the series was Alex, the local trucker with the large family. He was just a big teddy bear who looked gruff but was quite a nice guy. It was a surreal moment when he sang 'Amazing Grace' over the radio towards the end when they were heading on a dangerous slope in convoy, shown with the sunset beginning to appear.

I enjoyed it, sorry to see the season over with. But good job, History Channel
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I enjoyed the show too. I was hoping Hugh would end up in the truck with no heater.

It would be interesting to wrap up some loose ends, such as what happened between Hugh and Rick when they got home. Since Rick worked for Hugh back home for the rest of the year (non-ice-road-season), it would interesting to see if they were able to work things out, did Hugh pay Rick his full pay from his ice-road runs, etc. Did Hugh decide to get his other 3 trucks repaired and winterized for next ice road season, etc.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Reunion and follow-up from the series:

HISTORY CHANNEL WARMS UP TO 'ICE ROAD'
    Staff report
    Aug 7, 2007

History Channel has scheduled three additional episodes of its successful unscripted series "Ice Road Truckers." "The Ice Road: Then and Now," a one-hour special on the history of ice roads, is set to air at 9 p.m. Aug. 26, while "Ice Road Truckers: Off the Ice," a two-part reunion special, airs at 9 p.m. Sept. 2 and 9.

In addition, History.com will feature a live webchat with ice road trucker Hugh Rowland at 3 p.m. Aug. 17. "Truckers" has been averaging about 3 million total viewers every Sunday night since its June 17 premiere, according to Nielsen Media Research. The series is produced by Original Prods. Executive producers for Original are Thom Beers and Philip Segal; for History Channel, exec producers are David McKillop and Dolores Gavin.

FORT Fanatic

Yeah, no kidding, they should get the "Survivor" award for misleading for shadowing. They always do that on Survivor previews and when the next show airs you think, that was it ?!? Although the truckdamage did look bad, the trucks probably barely touched. And it didn't slow Hugh 'the Jerk' one bit he still made another run. Oh well.

On the History Channel forums, Rick (wewillsee) and his wife have been posting with some interesting tidbits.

I'm now of the opinion that the only good truck that Hugh had was really his own, and the others were the cheapest he could get for the occasion.

I think I am going to look for the reruns of this. When I saw it in my channel guide I thought it was that 2 hour show of the history of ice road truckers.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

This really became one of favourite reality of the season. When I think of all the time I wasted watching Evil Dick and his equally evil spawn, when this show has all the excitement and fun of what reality shows should be. I like the reality shows that just show people doing their jobs like the fishing/crabbing shows and now Ice Road. I hate the "set up" shows like survivor and such. they seem so phoney.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2601160;
    I like the reality shows that just show people doing their jobs like the fishing/crabbing shows and now Ice Road. I hate the "set up" shows like survivor and such. they seem so phoney.
    I agree with you, Chris. Survivor has always been a joke to me, in fact it's specifically one of the reasons I stayed away from reality shows at all for a long time because it really was laughable, what the producers expect viewers to buy. I enjoyed Ice Road Truckers, and I love the DIY shows. There's another series called Dirty Jobs which features people who do the jobs most people wouldn't want to, but it's fascinating to watch and you gain a lot of respect for the people who do the jobs they feature. Another one I really love is Seconds From Disaster, where they take well known disasters from history and recent events and break them down, second-by-second, and re-enact and/or show the events and people leading up to the disaster.

Real life is so much more interesting than shows like Survivor, and whatever else is like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast