+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: "Ice Road Truckers"

FORT Fanatic

Re: "Ice Road Truckers"

We saw the preview for this before a movie while we were at a theatre I can't believe there is enough material for a series! My husband didn't believe it was real at first and thought it was one of those turn off your cell phone spoofs.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2450529;
    I'm watching this for the first time. I love shows about snow and ice. Don't know the appeal-if they had Survivor in the cold I would be in heaven.
    Me too! I finally rented "Nanook of the North," which is the ultimate ice-junkie's movie. It's old (1920s), but fascinating.

I'm hooked, at least for this season. I love the education stuff behind it (go figure, I'm a teacher!) and also can't get enough of the shots of the northern lights. I saw them once, on a trip from Oklahoma City to Ponca City. Very rare for us to see them!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

For anyone else that has been watching the show I don't know if you realize it or not but the History Channel discussion group for Ice Road Trucks actually has two of the guys from the show posting on it. Rick and Drew have been posting.

One of the interesting facts that has come from them is that none of the people actually got paid anything for doing the show. If there is a second season they will be able to negotiate stuff but for season one the truckers didn't get paid anything for the show itself.
    Last edited by marauder; 07-03-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by candor;2451584;
    Me too! I finally rented "Nanook of the North," which is the ultimate ice-junkie's movie. It's old (1920s), but fascinating.

As a side note, the guy who filmed Nanook of the North, Robert Flaherty, had an illegitimate son, Joseph, by the woman he cast in the film, then abandoned him there in Canada. As an adult, the son was part of a group forced by Canadian authorities to relocate far to the north to a barren island outpost, where he died a bitter, angry man. It doesn't sound that interesting, but I just read a book about it, which basically tells the story of how the Canadian government and white people treated the native Inuit, by telling the story of Joseph Flaherty. It was fascinating. Amazon.com: The Long Exile: A Tale of Inuit Betrayal and Survival in the High Arctic: Books: Melanie McGrath

Back on topic, I've watched some of the Ice Road Truckers show, and looked at the website; I like Deadliest Catch, and I think it's interesting what the truckers do, but the show hasn't grabbed me as much.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'll have to read that book. Sounds interesting.

I can't believe some of those guys don't have heat. There is no way I could do all that driving with no heat in -45. Crazy!

FORT Fanatic

Hugh has always come across as a jerk on this show, but tonight he topped himself. His last driver, he had 3 working for him that were on the show, left him. Can't think of his name, but he worked for Hugh back home full-time, and he left without so much as a "See you later". They had words on the phone, this guy had been running without heat in his cab, and he hung up on Hugh and left. Said they were best friends, too. I don't know whether Hugh wouldn't give him time to get it fixed or what. It just seemed like the only thing important to Hugh was making money. I don't understand, if the money for the runs is so great there, why push so hard. I understand the time pressures they're under up there, but if I was expected to work constantly, with little sleep, in those conditions, and add mechanical problems including no heat, I'd probably quit too.Sorry Hugh.

The finale is on now.

I thought this was an entertaining show. I did not like Hugh at all. He seemed like a cocky SOB. I thought it was interesting all the guys that worked for him quit. He sure made sure that his truck was running well but couldn't care less about the others. Nice Guy........................... ..........Not!
    I also love how they played up the accident. They made it seem like he flipped over although we know that didn't happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast