+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Tori & Dean: Inn Love

Re: Tori & Dean: Inn Love

I think I remember seeing something a few years back about Aaron's revising his will after some of his faculties had "left". Very sad. I believe it was said that his concept of money had gone - and he really thought $800,000 was an extreme amount of money. Yes, it is for most of us - but the implication was that he thought that was a large portion of his estate. It left me wondering how something like that works. If he calls the lawyers to his home (he had private nurses, etc at his home for the last few years) to make revisions -- do the attorneys start with telling him how much he has to start with and go from there? Or do they just say "okay" to whatever he wants to do? Very curious. And who is on hand at that time to ensure that he is of sound mind while making these decisions?

On the other hand - Tori has stated that she knew a few years before his death that she would receive that set amount. The fact that she did not tone down her standard of living is completely on her. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to grow up with no concept of $$ and then be extremely limited in what you have -- but she did have knowledge prior to it happening and her lack of planning is her own fault.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3145974;
    It left me wondering how something like that works. If he calls the lawyers to his home (he had private nurses, etc at his home for the last few years) to make revisions -- do the attorneys start with telling him how much he has to start with and go from there? Or do they just say "okay" to whatever he wants to do? Very curious.
    From what I saw happen with friends/family, an attorney won't/can't change the will unless the client is of "sound mind." In some instances, the physician has to sign off that the client is of sound mind and understands what he/she is doing/signing. My dad signed a power of attorney over to my brother when he knew he was sick and wouldn't be able to make decisions later -- but he made it clear to my brother at that point what he wanted done. So I'm assuming that Aaron Spelling's attorney had to OK that with his doctor as well. But who really knows what happens in these situations?

The feeling I got from Tori's book was the same as you said--that he didn't seem to realize how much money he had...and that $800,000 was a HUGE amount of money and a good chunk of his fortune.

Oh, here are a couple other things I remember from Tori's book: she made good money during her "90210" days, but she blew all that money by having a boyfriend (gambler) who she was constantly bailing out. Now, she was an idiot to spend all that money on him. That money could've been making nice interest and provided for a great next egg for her.

There was another part in her book that I wasn't completely clear. She said that her mother bought her a condo--but Tori insisted that she didn't want it for free or something like that--so her mother started charging her rent. And then later her mother decided she wanted Tori to move out. I got the impression that Tori didn't want to be beholden to her mother (e.g. the mother paid for the condo so therefore she controlled Tori and her life).

The one thing Tori said she did expect from her parents was to have her wedding paid for by them, and that didn't happen either. She and Charlie wanted to have a simple beach wedding, but her mother said her friends wouldn't want to go to the beach. So she said she would throw the wedding at the Spelling mansion. Tori and Charlie picked a day, her mother OK'd it, and then at the last minute Candy Spelling said her friends had plans on that day and couldn't come so they needed to change it to a different day. Tori tried explaining to her mother that Charlie's famliy and friends had already purchased airline tickets and that changing it at the last minute would cost a ton of money. Candy said she and Aaron would pay for the difference and that everyone could call her personal travel arrangement to make the changes. Well, when people tried to change their reservations, the travel agent told them that Candy had only OK'd it if the fee would be less than $50 or $75 or something ridiculously low. So Tori ending up paying for it all and going into debt. Her mother also insisted on having a brunch at the Beverly Hills Hotel (I think) the day after the wedding and said she would pay for that. But when the bill came, she wouldn't pay it so again Tori had to pay it.

If just half of what Tori says is true, Candy truly sounds like a piece of work. I'd like to think that Tori is exaggerating and that Candy is really a nice woman. But I'm guessing that while Tori does need to grow up and just suck it up about not getting more of her dad's money, Candy also needs to realize that she has to be consistent and stop offering things if she doesn't intend on following through.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-27-2008 at 08:08 PM.

She even let the boyfriend have her ATM card with her pin and he would withdraw five hundred a day. I think this is Nick Savalas. The relationship sounded abusive and he took her for a ride. Possibly Candy knew Tori was vulnerable but figured that it was Tori's money which she was earning so too bad for Tori. The condo was in the parents names and they charged Tori rent. Again, a way to keep things in the family. When Tori got a divorce, Charlie was told to move out as did Tori, because Candy decided to sell it. Tori had to hire a company to pack and store all her possessions because Candy only gave her a few weeks. The whole situation sounds like control from a mom, yet I do see some type of way that Candy is protecting her own investment. When Tori was making her money, she had the opportunity to buy her own place, which she didn't and that's why she ended up without a home. One thing Tori says is that she wasn't prepared, as in not having an education, for life and making financial decisions.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3146172;
    The whole situation sounds like control from a mom, yet I do see some type of way that Candy is protecting her own investment. When Tori was making her money, she had the opportunity to buy her own place, which she didn't and that's why she ended up without a home. One thing Tori says is that she wasn't prepared, as in not having an education, for life and making financial decisions.
    Excellent point. You know, it's funny 'cause the first thing I would've done if I was making all that money was buy my parents a new home. But since the Spellings don't need a new home , I really am surprised that she didn't buy herself a little condo and let it appreciate in value. Buying a home is kind of a no brainer as an investment.

I still think that it's a shame that she wasn't taught about how to value and save money. I don't know if she and Dean are socking any of their money away now, either. I hope they are.

I think Sting told his kids that they shouldn't expect to live off of his earnings 'cause he doesn't plan on leaving it all to them. Bill Gates said the same thing. I think even Donald Trump told his kids that.

Someone posted upthread that they were surprised at the amount of money she spent on Liam's first birthday party. Me, too. Granted, maybe some of that was comped. But still, that's a lot of money to spend when you're talking about how you're trying to live within your means.

I believe Tori is living within her means. She is not a dummy as lots of people want to make her out to be. She is Aaron Spellings daughter and she inherited something from him: his creativity and his desire for success. Sure, she complains and whines. That's part of the character she's playing. She also started her own production company like daddy. She grew up. She wrote a book that made the NY Times best seller list. She's doing well for herself and despite what she and Dean did to their spouses, she's likable. She is no better than Liz Taylor who "stole" Eddie Fischer from Debbie and then "stole" Dick Burton away. They were always in the tabloids. It's the same thing yet people still vilify the other woman. Something was wrong in Dean and Mary Jo's marriage long before Tori came into the picture. I wonder how many others he had affairs with that were low profile?
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3146416;
    I wonder how many others he had affairs with that were low profile?
    I'd bet money that Tori wasn't the first which is why I hope that the same doesn't happen to her. Granted, that both she and Dean cheated on their spouses but while I believe Tori really did fall in love with him, I question his motives. As Dean's ex wrote in her book:
    When Dean called me from the set [of his TV movie], he told me how great he was getting along with his costar Tori Spelling. She was fun, caring and much hotter in real life. I assumed this was good. Before he left, jokes flew at the prospect of working with the daughter of a Hollywood mogul. I suggested he befriend her. "Who knows?" I laughed. It might be good for his career.
    CYA

I, too, believe she really fell in love. From her book, I have concluded that she is a very needy, insecure person who is now coming into herself as an adult woman. She seems to finally be outside of her mother's "control" which I use the quotes, because only Tori has presented her side. She married her first husband because it was the thing to do in that part of her life. Also, she writes very nicely about Charlie's family and was happy to be part of them. Tori is looking for a real family. I tear up every time they show her Uncle Danny. She is trying so hard to reach out to him. Or she's a really fab actress!

I visited Candy Spellings website and sent her an e-mail regarding the fact that there were no photos of Tori on there. I finally received an e-mail back from her today.

Thanks for your email. New photos were received and posted.

> Hi Candy,
    > I love your website. Why is your daughter Tori not mentioned on it?
    > Family should come number one in your life. To exclude Tori from your
    > website while mentioning her child is very strange to me.
    > I hope it was an error and she was not purposely omitted because of your
    > differences. She is still your daughter and your husbands child. Please
    > tell me it was a mistake.

I checked and she did update the website with photos of her and her family of 4. I hope this is an indication that there has been a reconciliation.
    Last edited by luvsginger; 07-31-2008 at 01:26 AM.

They've been mentioning Candy on almost every episode now so I wonder if she'll actually be showing up on the Tori gives birth episode.
    CYA

I finally broke down and searched for Tori's new book when my hubby and I would happen upon a bookstore, and wouldn't you know it - ALL of them don't have it in stock - sold out. ??? Wow! Go Tori! Perhaps I'll check on amazon or something... I felt stupid asking if the book was in stock (it's kind of a guilty/embarrassing to be so interested in Tori Spelling's life...think back to 90210, LOL) so my husband said, 'What's the name of the book? I'll ask for you' and when I said, "okay, it's called STori Telling by Tori Spelling" he looked at me like I had lost my mind for wanting the book and said, 'What? For real?' It was funny - maybe you had to be there, but it made me laugh so hard I had a hard time repeating the title to him.

+ Reply to Thread