+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader

I'll admit to ducking this show, other than for a few brief moments during commercials on other channels. And I have SO enjoyed making fun of their ludicrous commercials going on about it being the biggest smash hit in X number of years, blah blah etc. And mocking Jeff Foxworthy never gets old either.

But here's a question based on reading the above posts...

Are these kids supposed to be AVERAGE 5th graders, or ones in some kind of accelerated program for smart kids? Those programs do exist, and how hard would it be to cull them for use on this show?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

IMHO, the kids are actors. I know have seen the one named Spencer in a movie or TV show, and the boy named Jacob looks familiar too.

The question on the geological era we are in now was defiantly not a 5Th grade question. My son studied that in 9Th grade Earth Science last year. He went and grabbed his old text book during commercial and looked it up. He said they didn't study the geological eras until then.

I do have to say that so far I haven't more then one question per show but then again I never claimed to all that smart to begin with.

I believe the kids are actors too.
    And we think we saw one of the boys in an ad for a movie that was shown during the show-can't recall what the movie was. I also agree that some of these questions are not at grade level.

Alana and Laura are definitely actresses. With Laura having at least 12 different tv shows under her belt as a guest star. Howver, the three main guys (Kyle, Jacob and Spencer) don't seem to have any other acting gigs at least show-wise, but probably some commercial wise.
    Last edited by canadian_angel; 03-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.

They are definitely actors. Two of them have the same agent as my daughter. I guess how else would you get kids who wouldn't be overwhelmed by the whole process... lighting, crowds etc.

I haven't heard if they are being coached on the answers.

I have taught 3rd and 4th grade as well as high school. Many of these questions are not 5th grade questions, but much higher. I knew the question on impeachment, because that is a topic that my HS age kid had in Advance Placement US history as a junior. Area of a triangle is not 5th grade either, unless you are super advanced. 5th grade math today is mostly long division, pre-algebra and maybe beginning geometry, like area or perimeter of squares or rectangles.

Would it have been SO hard to get real kids?

Using kids who are actors, thus implying that the whole thing is pretty much a performance, just sets a real ugly pall over the whole thing.

I wonder if the kids are actors because then everyone belongs to Actor's equity and they can claim its a union shop. Blech.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    i agree some of these questions cannot possibly be 5th grade level.

Usually these shows are AFTRA... which pays terrible, but this could be SAG depends on whether it is filmed or videotaped. As far as the kids go, being a union production is beneficial as they will be better compensated and the producers will have to toe the line with regards to working conditions.

It does leave a "bad taste" in regard to the fact that they are not "typical"
    5th graders.

Now that it has moved opposite Gray's Anatomy I wonder if it will do so well?

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar
    I don't care if the kids are actors or not... I'm hooked on this show!

I am a first grade teacher, and last week there was a first grade question that I thought "Wow, the kids don't learn that until at least 5th grade." I agree with you all that the questions are definitely not average grade level questions at all. I have experience teaching 5th grade as well, and the kids would never know some of the questions.
    Wake up and be awesome

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2287300;
    I don't care if the kids are actors or not... I'm hooked on this show!
    me too ... and laura is my favorite ... i love her expressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast