+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader

If you mix equal amounts of red & yellow paint, what color do you get? Orange, she gets the 1st grade art question correct.

1st grade astronomy. What star is closest to Earth? I love these kids.
    The whole class has it right. She guesses Sun. Answer after the break.
    She's $10,000 richer.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 02-28-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Is that lady nuts? All of her questions were soooooo easy. And she dropped out on how many decades are there in 2 millenia??? And she chose Mexico for having the longest border with the US??? And she's a computer consultant???????

Wow...

I really think this show is fake.
    You're a bad mother... shut your mouth! ^^

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Aww...I missed most of the show tonight...I saw her answer the question about the sun but then I apparently dozed off and the next thing I know my son is waking me up so I can watch Lost!! Jet lag is catching up I guess!

So is that one lady out of it now? How much money did she end up with?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

She ended up with $100,000. Not too bad, but then again, not that great either. Her questions were super easy and I'm pretty shocked she quit with such an easy question and her "answer if she didn't quit" of 20. That was bad.

I've noticed that they are using actors to play the 5th graders, is there a reason for this? more comfortable in the spotlight...intelligence factor, fed the answers?? just curious if anyone knows, please post it. thanks

I did watch the first night, but the pacing killed me. Five questions in a half hour - ugh.

But I have to say, there is no way some of those questions are typical of the grade level they're supposed to represent. As a homeschooler, I keep up with standards and testing (two different things). Some of those questions are more like junior high as far as I can tell: the area of a triangle question, first president to be impeached come to mind. We use an award-winning, tough math program developed in Singapore, and they specifically skipped non-square area measurement until 7th grade math, for example. I've also studied the tests used to determine proficiency at 3rd and 5th grade, and this stuff was wayyyy above those levels.

Nonetheless, most of the questions should be easy for the average US adult to answer! I can't decide if I like the show or not.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

jasmar, I'm with you....it's the pace of the show that I'm having a hard time getting past. Luckily after the first night I discovered that recording and watching later when I can fast forward is THE way I can enjoy it.

That is such a good idea! I think the show is cute and I enjoy seeing if I can answer the questions, but cannot stand the pace. I think recording it will be the way to watch from now on.

FORT Newbie
    I have two big issues with this show that are going to make me stop watching it very soon and I think America will stop watching as well.

1. These questions are not of the 5th grade level at least not how detailed the questions are. I would say the questions are definately closer to high school level. One question that came to mind was which planet appeared to be the brightest on the horizon? Instead of knowing that I would think the average 5th grader would know the order of the planets in the solar system but not which one is the brightest. I don't recall ever learning in any grade the brightness of the planets. That is what I mean by how detailed the questions are.

2. The average 5th grader is not going to be 200 for 200 in questions answered correctly. That is about what these 5 kids have done in with their answers since the show began. These has not been one kid that has gotten one question wrong yet which definately tells me that this show is rigged or these kids are geniuses. Now as soon as I write this finally on about the 8th show a kid finally got an anwer wrong. I think it still goes to show that something is not right. The average 5th grader isn't going to know 99% of the questions asked. I think the show purposely had the student get the question wrong so the show seemed believable because it is not in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast