+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV Emmy...Who should get a nomination?

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

Reality TV Emmy...Who should get a nomination?

ATAS adds reality TV categories to Emmys
    Feb. 21, 2003

Reflecting the growth of the reality genre this season, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has voted to add new categories for writing and directing nonfiction programs to the annual Primetime Emmy Awards. The ATAS board on Thursday agreed to add the new categories and slightly revise the definition of its nonfiction series and specials award categories. The category of nonfiction series (informational), introduced in 2001, has been revised as nonfiction series (traditional), to encompass traditional documentary and informational series. The category formerly known as nonfiction programming (special class) has been divided into nonfiction program (alternative/unscripted) and nonfiction program (reality/competition) to better reflect the trends in the genre that ranges from "Survivor"-like elimination shows to talent competitions a la "American Idol." The new writing and directing categories will be limited to the traditional nonfiction categories. The nonfiction categories in question are so-called area awards that are not part of the broader Emmy voting pool but are selected by ATAS' relevant peer group panels. (Cynthia Littleton)
    So who should be nominated for the Emmy for Nonfiction Program (reality/competition)?

My picks are:
    The Amazing Race 3
    and Survivor: The Amazon (Thailand sucked, IMO)

What are your picks? Remember, I believe the Emmy eligiblity period for this year's awards are August/September 2002 to July/August 2003. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Amazing Race is currently the best RTV show by quite a ways, but if they are going to start giving out emmy's for it, then Survivor deserves one for starting the whole craze.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree Bill. TAR is far and away the best reality show out there.

But I do give Mark credit for starting the craze (well, actually technically EcoChallenge was the pre-Survivor without all the drama....but nobody really watched it )
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

my vote would be Survivor.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Joe Millionaire.

It was the most unique of the plot lines and it played the decisive roll in Fox winning the much coveted 18-49 sweeps.
    -Michael

Threshold RPG - Our World, Your Imagination

http://www.thresholdrpg.com

I agree w/ Threshold. I would vote for Joe Millionaire.

I thought it was brilliant. It was both a parody of hoary romantic reality TV cliches and a reverential tribute to the genre all at the same time.

Besides, no matter what qualms or criticism anybody had, who was NOT watching that show this year?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

TAR. no question. an award would wake people up to this great show
    In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders dont vant to be general. Sasha Pivovarova

TAR. TAR. TAR.

The first few episodes of the season are always a little crazy, but once a few teams have been eliminated, it is the most exciting reality show on television.
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I agree that TAR generates more excitement than any other reality show out there. But the very first Emmy for this genre rightly belongs to Survivor.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I agree w/ Threshold. I would vote for Joe Millionaire.

I thought it was brilliant. It was both a parody of hoary romantic reality TV cliches and a reverential tribute to the genre all at the same time.

Besides, no matter what qualms or criticism anybody had, who was NOT watching that show this year?
    One might not be able to look away from a train wreck either, but just because everyone was standing around watching it happen does not mean that it was a good sight. Joe Millionaire was a poorly put together show. I would never consider it the best.

TAR and Survivor get my vote.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast