Closed Thread

Thread: Top Model Shows Outside the U.S.

Re: Top Model Shows Outside the U.S.

Can Alyce be Australia’s next top model?

KIAMA’S next top model, Alyce Crawford, admitted she was star struck by the famous people she has met recently, but if she is lucky she could be the catwalk’s next star.

Eighteen-year-old Alyce is one of the 13 contestants in this year’s series of the Foxtel show Australia’s Next Top Model.

“I love the show and I always wanted to be on it, but I thought ‘as if’ I’m going to get on,” she said.

“But then my boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend (Rebecca Jobson), she said she was trying out and I though I would go too.”

As it turned out, Alyce and Rebecca were successful at the auditions.

Alyce finished her HSC last year at St Joseph’s in Albion Park and was contemplating studying journalism or public relations at university before she found out she was an ANTM finalist.

She had some previous modelling experience, but said that since she was in Year 12 she did not have much time to travel to casting calls for jobs.

Now she is being transformed from a girl into a model, in the words of the finalists’ mentor Jonathan Pease.

“This is about giving them the tools so when they get out there they can do all different types of modelling,” he said. “On the journey from little girl to top model, the key is versatility.”

He described Alyce as a “good egg” and said she had a lot of personality. She’s got natural model features and the poise of a model.

“She has got a couple of limitations, but I think if she works hard she can get through it.”

The finalists live together in a stunning waterfront mansion in Port Hacking.

“Living in the house is fine, it’s fun,” Alyce said. “I’m not really one of those people who needs alone time. Everyone just gets along. Some people do get annoying, but mostly we get along.”

However, she said she was finding being apart from her family hard since she was very close to them.

A typical week involves a lesson on the week’s topic on Monday, a challenge on Tuesday, the reward (or punishment) that resulted from the challenge on Wednesday, a photo shoot on Thursday and elimination on Saturday.

The girls usually get Friday and Sunday off, but still keep busy with workouts, household chores and interviews.

“It’s been so exciting, it’s so full-on. The things we do are so unbelievable and I still can’t believe that I’m here,” Alyce said.

The day the Kiama Independent visited the set, the girls were doing a mock screen test for a television advertisement, rather than a still photographic shoot.

Alyce said this task was challenging because she didn’t really consider herself much of an actress.

“I’d rather do a photo shoot any day, but (acting) is part of it too. I’m learning that there’s a lot more to modelling than I thought.”

ANTM publicist Brooke Cashell said most of the girls were in the same position.

“A lot of them are very good in front of cameras to pose and pout, but then to get up and say a line, it’s really hard,” she said.

Mr Pease agreed, saying the screen test had really put the contestants through their paces, but it taught a useful lesson because ad campaigns were where the real money was in modelling.

The ad was based on a recent campaign by tampon brand U by Kotex and involved the models toting around a large stuffed beaver (one of the crew members remarked, “They might not know who Winston Churchill is, but they all recognise a beaver”).

This posed an extra challenge, particularly for the younger girls, and Mr Pease said he had been worried about Alyce being giggly.

Alyce said she was getting used to people talking about her openly and giving critiques.

“We get evaluated a lot, so although it is constructive because you do need to learn from what people are telling you, it can be hard to hear sometimes,” she said.

“Any mistake could cost you your place in the competition.”

That said, she is really proud of what she has achieved so far.

“Getting on the show at all really, it’s not that I’ve made it but it’s a start, it’s a big start,” she said.

Australia’s Next Top Model 4 premieres on Fox8 at 7.30pm next Tuesday, April 22.
    Can alyce be australias next top model - Kiama Independent

FORT Fogey

Screw Haikus.

Rebecca and Alyce know each other? Spicy. That practically makes them twins, which practically makes them Babins.

No Logic Here!

Ugh,Ksenia needs to be on Vogue,not Alice.I oved Alice on the show but now that everyone likes her,I'm sorta ermm,drifting....
    The future should have been a HF blonde instead of a rainbow spewing mushroom.

For Maxam,Ma Shu Yi has been getting some post show work!

The future should have been a HF blonde instead of a rainbow spewing mushroom.

FORT's Fiercest!!! Ruairidh1992's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruBishisama;2928701;
    Screw Haikus.

Rebecca and Alyce know each other? Spicy. That practically makes them twins, which practically makes them Babins.

No Logic Here!
    It must have took Mr and Mrs Babin a lot of work to create a Filipino baby.
    NOT(!) a Dominique fan*~

Quote Originally Posted by mayukhers112;2927258;
    Sophia is out on GNTM.
    Oh my, Heidi is on a blonde-evicting spree. Why was Sophia banished? 19 years old, 179cm tall, and droopy-eyed; what's not to like?

I was originally going to make a list of the girls remaining in GNTM at or over 5'9" and at or younger than 19 years old, but than I would only be able to have Jennifer on that list.

But GNTM has, overall, the most reputable job offers to its contestants of all NTMs. Heidi has her connections.

I still haven't gotten over the lousy haircut that stylist gave Jennifer. It hasn't kept her from getting jobs on GTNM but I think that rocker hair cut will limit her appeal after the show.

FORT Fogey

Ma Shu Yi always
    is such a total hottie,
    So totally hot.

FORT Regular

I think everyone here who is not in the UK and watches ANTM and BNTM are lucky, as they have shovelled BNTM down our throats at every oppurtunity! Every commercial break the promo is shown, and when the dreaded finale of Cycle 9 aired on Monday night just before they showed Tyra and Saleisha's photos, they plugged BNTM!!! Like how good must it be to see the promo every flippin day! Hopefully it is the best BNTM so far! I type this with a tear in my eye but I am still excited for Monday night!!!

Pretty enough face (front on) but her legs are terrible - so short and stubby, the complete anthisesis of model material
    Last edited by londonguy; 04-18-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Closed Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
  2. 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM
  3. 04-22-2007, 01:00 PM
  4. 04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
  5. 04-05-2007, 04:07 AM
  6. 04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
  7. 04-04-2007, 07:55 AM
  8. 04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
  9. 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
  10. 03-31-2007, 05:47 AM