+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star 5

I only voted during the last season and I never got a voice telling me that I had reached my limit, so I am assuming it stops counting after a certain point.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    I wasn't sure there was even a section for this show anymore...why is it stuck down at the bottom of the page??

I really liked the brother/sister. Glad they got rid of rickeyjoebobby or whatever that chick's name was...you could just tell she thought she was hot stuff just because she dropped out of school during 8th grade to go play in the bars?! Yeah, that was a strike against her right there. I didn't really want the guy to go that went, although his voice wasn't as strong as I'd like. I wasn't all that enamored of the blond guy with the ugly hair, but maybe he'll grow on me as I hear more from him.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

I missed the girls last night. I liked the first guy best. David something?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

As a group, I thought the girls were better.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2203100;
    I missed the girls last night. I liked the first guy best. David something?
    David St. Romaine or Roman...I think.

I like the guys much better than the girls, but that will always be the case with me.

I wasn't sure there was even a section for this show anymore...why is it stuck down at the bottom of the page??
    The show isn't being covered this season. So I am pretty sure the thread is going to stay here.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

January 11, 2007: A Star in the Making

Welcome to Nashville, baby! And what a welcome it was. I loved the opening song, introducing the 10 contestants with an upbeat number that wasn't awkwardly choreographed or too complicated — just a genuinely warm start to this talent competition where the competitors are definitely talented and the music is almost always better than good.

And although she said she's not used to reading teleprompters, Jewel was steady on stage (no matter how short her dress and high her heels), but I guess having a comfortable Cowboy on stage next to her helps. Check out what Jewel had to say about hosting Nashville Star and working with Troy.

So, 10 great finalists, two friendly hosts and what else? Three judges who know country, live country and actually get along (eh-hem… unlike some other bickering judges we know). Oh, and they actually give some good advice. But, Anastasia, if you're listening…. As much as I value your thoughts on the performances, please conceal your top half a little more.

The ladies were up first and my top choices were easily Angela Hacker, Meg Allison and Whitney Duncan. Whitney's look reminded me of a blond Shania Twain, but her sound is definitely more raw. Blake Shelton certainly liked it, saying she "has a real shot at this." But I guess if she gets voted off, we'll know she'll still enjoy hunting and fishing, right? I like the personal tidbits we're getting — it's not overwhelming but gives us a little more insight into the singers. When Meg slowed down the pace, I still heard a little of that Chicago voice, but I don't mind it. She's that friendly face on stage, that emotional target, so we'll see if she stands her ground. And Angela provided a totally different vibe — wiser, more settled, she really sang that song. I love how her brother, Zac, is also vying for the record deal. A little healthy family competition never hurt, right? I'd rather battle my sibling knowing they were a true artist, too, instead of going head-to-head with someone who clearly shouldn't have made it this far. That's the beauty of this show — it starts off with a small group of experienced performers.

As for Kacey Musgraves, going first is always tough, and she's got the look but needs some more personality up there! Did anyone notice that when Jewel was asking her questions post-performance, she never looked at her while responding? I think nerves took over, and she just wanted to seem as composed as possible. So, I hope she loosens up, or else I fear her ability to rise above the rest.

I agreed with the judges' choice to bid farewell to Rickiejoleen. She certainly has spunk. When she's on stage, there's a fire in her belly and you know she wants to be there and loves every minute of it. I agreed with Randy Owen when he said that she's "born to perform," but she seems young and was a solid choice to send home.

But the tears were brief, and then the guys took their chances.

My favorites among them round out to a top three as well: Zac Hacker, Joshua Stevens and David St. Romain. Dustin Wilkes is close behind, but I need to see more of him to really decide his fate (well, according to my own personal judging panel). David St. Romain held my attention — and could his baby be any cuter in the audience with that pink bow in her hair? I wonder if he'll take Anastasia's advice and drop the guitar. I wasn't sure if Joshua Stevens' voice was strong enough when he started off, but he saved himself with some of those ending notes. And Zac Hacker may just be my favorite. He's just good, plain fun. I loved watching him, his head bobbing around, his huggable, teddy-bear persona.

So long to Iceland-born, Massachusetts-schooled, Tennessee-grounded (finally), stay-at-home dad Tim LaRoche. As interesting as he is, I felt like we didn't hear enough of his actual voice — they didn't have much time to show off this week, so why choose a song that's mostly guitar? Blake nailed it on the head when he said the guitar hypnotized him.

All in all, a good Season 5 kickoff — entertaining, with a balanced mix of ballads and toe-tapping fast tracks. Plus, Jewel's not overly talkative, and the judges pretty much get right down to business… except when Blake blurts out unrelated side comments (but he cracks me up, so he can stay).

Now that the judges have narrowed it down to eight, it's time for America to take over. And for whoever's left standing next week, I'm just going to repeat what Jewel said earlier in the night: Bring it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I didn't think there was a thread for this one either. Found it accidentally by googling for another NS forum.

I watched the replay this morning, not live. Too late for me to stay up since I have to get up at 5:30 AM. Just can't hack that any more.

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the show so far this year. They have some good talent and Jewel is not too bad as host. I don't think any of the judges have been as good as the 3 they had for season 1 & 2, but that was a different record company. Last season I didn't watch much, because what I did see annoyed me no end. The idea of guest judges who had nothing to do with the music business and were only on there to promote themselves for one thing, and the endless guest stars was another (but I guess we'll get that this year too). I would much rather see the time dedicated to the contestants.

I don't have a favorite yet, pretty much enjoyed them all. I agreed with the girl they threw off, not so much the guy though. I know his vocals were not as strong as the others, but something about him I liked.

I hope I can remember to watch it next week.

Thanks to whoever move the thread up here

I agree, Misty, that they guy they eliminated had an extra spark that drew me to him. I wish they could have just had them all sing and eliminate one person instead of one guy and one girl.
    -Bono

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    The mods moved the thread out of the bowels of the FORT

Thanks!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey
    I caught the rebroadcast too, because I know the show is on at 10:00 pm one night, but I can't stay up that late either. But I'd love to know what night the show is on, so I can check back to see who gets eliminated.

I miss Phil Vassar as a judge, though. I thought he was excellent and gave good feedback to all the contestants, plus he's just so darn cute and full of energy! Bring back Phil and ditch the woman. Get Randy Owen to relax a little bit, and find a different (interesting and intelligent) woman to be another judge and this show may be worth watching again.

And I like Jewel. She seems pretty down-to-earth to me. But I've always liked her and her music.

+ Reply to Thread