+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star 5

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I have to admit I was a little turned off by DSR's wife and her "input" on his song....I have no problem with a spouse offering advice but it came across a little differently than that on TV....it could be the editing but I am glad that Blake made a point of saying what I'm sure others were thinking!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    We all know how they love to "edit" the contestants on these shows so no telling what really goes on between David and his wife regarding song choices. But I thought it needed pointing out by Blake if he really leaves something that important up to his wife.

I agree about Chris...dang, why can't I meet someone like him! I really wish he could have more success. I don't understand why country radio is so slow to play his music or anybody off NS. They flocked to Carrie like she was the best thing since sliced bread...well I think Chris is just as good as her in his own right. He's got the look, the sound, he's young and handsome. The best winner they've had since the show began.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2257367;
    I don't think that Angela has had a really bad song selection. I would have preferred that she didn't sing Shania (I don't even consider her country), but it wasn't anything that should have knocked her out of frontrunner status.
    I think it may have though. I was totally turned off by the song choice.
    If you want to do upbeat, fine, there are plenty of country songs
    by country artists that fit that criteria. But to pick on of Shania's nursery
    rhymes? Really, really bad choice. I find that, although Angela remains
    kind of my favorite, at this point it's a toss up for me between her and
    Zac. It was definitely the Shania song that turned the corner for me.

I was also oddly disappointed in her choice of "Strawberry Wine" even
    though I have always liked the song. It just seemed to safe. Of course,
    in fairness, maybe after the Shania fiasco, she figured safe was the best
    choice.

FORT Fogey
    Shania and then Strawberry Wine, not awful choices, but not great ones either. I really think Zac has had two terrific performances the past three weeks while Angela has had one good and two fair performances. DSR has had three so-so performances.

Chris Young may be good, hard to tell from that one performance. But he is a good-looking man and I agree that Carrie Underwood (along with many of the other AI winners - can you say Kelly Clarkson - have been shoved down our throats to the point I want to gag. I don't listen solely to country music, but there hasn't been an AI winner I liked since it started. Tamyra Gray and Kimberly Locke have been the best singers and they hardly have made a wripple in the music industry, unfortunately.

NS needs to somehow promote their winners more, like AI does. Put them out there on a whirlwind tour, book them for a concert performance on Today, get them on Regis and Kelly.

So how long after Zac wins will his first CD be out?

Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl73;2257558;
    I agree about Chris...dang, why can't I meet someone like him! I really wish he could have more success. I don't understand why country radio is so slow to play his music or anybody off NS. They flocked to Carrie like she was the best thing since sliced bread...well I think Chris is just as good as her in his own right. He's got the look, the sound, he's young and handsome. The best winner they've had since the show began.
    Chris is touring quite extensively, so I don't think he is doing badly in that respect. I wish the radio stations would give him some more airplay.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I think this is the most exciting season of Nashville Star. The first season I saw was the one with Ericka Jo winning so maybe I missed something, but this season has been great. Last year Chris Young's original song was the first time I was blown away, but this year I liked all of the original songs except for DSR's, but he admitted that he is new to the whole song writing thing. Angela, Zac, and DSR have been my favorites through most of it, but I've more or less ditched DSR. Last week, Zac singing "Lady"....oh my...that was freaking awesome!!!! I watched it 4 times that night and at least as many since. I totally agreed with Anastasia about being weak at the knees too! I've been downloading some of the songs on iTunes. Lady just became available tonight so I will be downloading it before I go to bed tonight. I hope one of the Hackers win. Angela was in the lead in the beginning, and Zac has caught up here in the end so it will be a good show down!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by nemanomine;2258764;
    I think this is the most exciting season of Nashville Star. The first season I saw was the one with Ericka Jo winning so maybe I missed something, but this season has been great. Last year Chris Young's original song was the first time I was blown away, but this year I liked all of the original songs except for DSR's, but he admitted that he is new to the whole song writing thing. Angela, Zac, and DSR have been my favorites through most of it, but I've more or less ditched DSR. Last week, Zac singing "Lady"....oh my...that was freaking awesome!!!! I watched it 4 times that night and at least as many since. I totally agreed with Anastasia about being weak at the knees too! I've been downloading some of the songs on iTunes. Lady just became available tonight so I will be downloading it before I go to bed tonight. I hope one of the Hackers win. Angela was in the lead in the beginning, and Zac has caught up here in the end so it will be a good show down!
    I watched the first season when Buddy Jewell won, and the fact that he was in the competition at the age of 42 or 43 sold me on this show. Just because you aren't 28 or younger doesn't mean you don't have the chops. I think the fact that these contestants can be older make it a much more interesting competition.

I'm not an avid radio listener and love all kinds of music, so I don't necessarily follow country music. Hasn't Buddy Jewell been as successful as Chris Young? And whatever happened to Brad Cotter?

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2258794;
    I'm not an avid radio listener and love all kinds of music, so I don't necessarily follow country music. Hasn't Buddy Jewell been as successful as Chris Young? And whatever happened to Brad Cotter?
    I think Buddy has been more successful than Chris. I haven't heard of Brad since I bought his cd
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

"Nashville Star" (it's like "Idol," only with talent) rides sibling rivalry to the finish line

It was the matchup no one saw coming, except perhaps for a proud papa in Muscle Shoals, Ala.

Entering the "Nashville Star" country music competition in separate tryouts in different cities, brother and sister Zac and Angela Hacker both made the cut for season five, then sang their way forward.

And now it's come to this: Thursday night, there is a two out of three chance that someone named Hacker is going to be named the winner of "Nashville Star" and take home not only a recording contract with a major label and a Chevy truck, but family bragging rights as well.

The smart money says Angela Hacker, a 29-year-old single mom, will be collect the most votes from viewers. The results will be announced on the show, which airs 9 p.m. Thursday on USA Network

For the record, 23-year-old Zac told their local newspaper, the Times Daily, that he thought his sister would win. Angela only partially returned the favor, saying that her baby-faced brother "has a huge chance."

After she belted out the Deanna Carter torch song "Strawberry Wine" on last week's show with characteristic power, one of the show's judges, Blake Shelton, gushed, "When I look at you I see a little dandelion growing out in the field ... and then when you sing, I see cigarettes and beer and whiskey!"

Earlier this month I spent time at "Nashville Star" with my friend John Bohlinger, the show's bandlander. I thought that Whitney Duncan, the bluesy statuesque blond who was voted off two weeks ago, had the most commanding stage presence, while behind the scenes the jut-jawed David St. Romain, who might have the most raw talent of any contestant, strutted confidently backstage.

By contrast, the Hackers seemed to blend in with the crew. That's not a criticism, just a sign that two southern kids from humble roots have yet to catch up with the personas that were created almost overnight for them by television.

"Nashville Star" is one of the top-rated cable series in prime time, according to Nielsen. It draws about a third more adult viewers than "Battlestar Galactica," which airs in the same time period Sundays (on sister channel SciFi) and has a much higher profile in the media.

But -- and here begins a short yet unavoidable list of the ways in which this show is not "American Idol" -- "Nashville Star" is far from the highest-rated program on USA Network (that would be "WWE Raw"). Its weekly audience is less than one-tenth the number who, on average, watch "Idol."

Buzz is harder to come by for "Nashville Star" because it only airs once a week, meaning that each hour-long episode must include both a performance round and an elimination rite based on the votes that were cast seven nights earlier. ("Idol" schedules a separate show the night after the performances to announce which contestant is leaving.)

For these reasons, it's not too surprising that "Nashville Star" has had trouble living up to its title. The closest thing to a star the show has minted is Miranda Lambert, and she finished third during its first season. While that year's winner, Buddy Jewell, released one best-selling CD and then faded quickly, Lambert went platinum with her 2005 release "Kerosene."

Still, not even Lambert's success comes close to that of Carrie Underwood, who parlayed her 2005 win on "American Idol" into a CD that just passed the 5 million mark in sales -- the biggest-selling debut by a female artist since Shania Twain.

The Hackers' hometown of Muscle Shoals is legendary in the annals of the music industry. In its heyday in the 1960s and 1970s, everyone from Bob Dylan and the Stones to Reba McEntire and Ronnie Milsap recorded songs there, relying on the area's rich supply of versatile sidemen.

Their father, Hardy Hacker, was a professional musician in his day, and as Angela Hacker revealed on last week's show, she and her brother are third cousins of Elvis.

Above all, the Hackers have their improbable twin ascension from nobodies to nearly famous country-music artists working in their favor.

Regardless of who wins, both will walk away with recording deals, both will likely release nationally distributed CDs this year and both will perform on tour this summer along with St. Romain and fourth-place finisher Joshua Stevens. (Several dates have been announced at 2007NashvilleStarTour.com, none so far in the Midwest.)

The winner of "Nashville Star" will get a contract on the WB Nashville label, whose roster includes Shelton, the show's co-host, Cowboy Troy, and the Wreckers, featuring Kansas City's own Jessica Harp, who performed on the show earlier this month.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    I never heard a thing out of Brad Cotter after the show. He was never my choice for winner that season anyway, should've been George Canyon, so I wasn't exactly looking out for him. I heard somewhere that he had a substance problem and that's what happened to him...don't know if that's true at all or not. I really liked Buddy Jewell, the fact that he was older competing against these 20-somethings (and a teenager, Miranda Lambert, as well) It's too bad his record co. dropped him. Erica Jo...the season she won the talent was pretty weak if I recall. Not really sure what happened to her after that one song "I break things", whatever it was called.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

+ Reply to Thread